Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 06:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CALP
Stats: 135/119/115
BF:23.95/22.1/20.4
Progress: 80%
Default Help---I'm a Carb Addict

Hi, I am Susan and I am a Carb Addict.

I do quite well with the Atkin's Diet and have lost around 10 lbs but I am really having a problem with the strict restrictions on the fresh fruits and veggies and in the past I have always enjoyed these items...especially now that Spring and Summer and the growing seasons are here.

Is it possible that the CAD diet would be the way to go for someone like me ?

Like I said before, I do quite well on Atkin's and definitely feel much better than before and I can tell the difference when too many carbs ( especially refined sugars ) are ingested, but I don't feel bad when I have indulged in my fresh fruits and veggies.

I restrict myself to 24 oz of coffee , both regular and decaf, per day and at the most 1 diet soda. I have had to add a stool softener and some Metamucil because of the lack of fiber in my diet.

Breakfast during thr week is normally 1 or 2 eggs and either 3 thin strips of bacon or 2 sausage links; lunch is usually an Atkin's Advantage bar because if the weather's decent, I walk during my lunch hour. Dinner is a large salad with lettuce, cukes, onion, tomatoes and sometimes cheese and boiled eggs plus a meat entree and sometimes some extra cheese.

If I have a bedtime snack it is usually some sugar free jello with whipped cream.

Daily carb totals usuaally between 15-22g net after the fiber is subtracted.

Weekends are not much differeent except that for breakfast if I am in a hurry will be a low carb shake...made MY way...still around 2-3 carbs...meat and cheese for lunch and the usual dinner.

We like to cook on the grill a lot during the warmer months but I do not add the BBQ sauce to my servings.

But I just miss the fresh fruits and veggies.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 09:30

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Which guru to follow.............

I think we are lucky that there are SO many very good low carb books out there that will allow us to find what works for each of us as an individual.

I don't know what to tell you Susan because I have only my own experience to fall back on. CALP is basically the updated version of CAD. If you are interested in CAD then you might want to read CALP also. I find CALP easier to understand and follow, although they are both very good books.

I have only ever followed CALP. I have read every book my library has on the subject and still will stay with CALP. I eat huge amounts of veggies. My fruit I save for my Reward Meal, but honestly I do not eat as much fruit as I did in my High Carb days. When I reach my goal weight I will add more fruit to my diet and see how I do at maintaining.

I have lost 40 pounds since January 22nd. I have never had any problems at all following my program. I am still learning what foods cause cravings, but for all of us that is a work in progress.

With best wishes,
Libby
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 10:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The CAD/CALP reward meal is balanced to keep your insulin in check. It is a low carb meal - protein, low-carb vegetables, salad -plus an item that is what the Hellers call "carbohydrate rich" including dessert. The meal must be started and finished within an hour. You can have seconds, but the seconds must follow the same outline. Your other meals are strictly low-carb.

Any low-carb plan can be restrictive or can set you free, depending on how you decide follow it.

It sounds like you're still following Atkins Induction and haven't read the chapters on OWL and Maintenance yet. Finding your critical carb level is really important. You still lose weight but have more of the foods that you enjoy, like vegetables. 30 effective carbohydrate grams of vegetables is a huge amount. There is no lack of fiber and low-carb fruits are fine if you are still losing weight and feeling great.

If I were you, I would toss that low-carb bar at lunch, have vegetables and protein for breakfast and something portable for lunch: a piece of quiche or a few hard cooked eggs, maybe a bit of cheese and some portable LC vegetables like celery, cucumbers, radishes and peppers.

I'm not advocating one plan above any other. What I do advocate is knowing low-carb principles inside and out, finding what works for you and making whatever plan you choose your own.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 16:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CALP
Stats: 135/119/115
BF:23.95/22.1/20.4
Progress: 80%
Default Thanks for the CAD Help

I ordered the Heller's book and it should be here in the next couple of days.

I feel confident that with my love of the fruits and veggies that this will be the plan for me.

I wish our work site cafeteria offered veggies/salad for breakfast but such is not the case. I do have to give them credit in that they offer very cheap and well prepared and tasty meals for the money.

I usually spend less than $ 1.50 for breakfast and that includes my meat selection, 2 eggs and my one diet soda of the day ( and I nurse that soda all day long ).

I will consider not using the Atkin's bars but I do have more than a couple to eat up and I hate to waste. I just won't order any more. But , they are so convenient when I go for my power walks during lunch time and I can get in 2-3 miles during that time and still enjoy what for me is a filling "meal".
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-30-06, 00:48
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 210/200/140 Female 1.58 kg
BF:
Progress:

hi Merrimuts, I recently went to a book store and was told that they do not have a book titled 'Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan' listed on their computer, which means they can not order it in for me. What is the title of the book you ordered?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-30-06, 07:42

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi PopTop- Welcome to the forums

If you will notice that Merrimuts started this thread in 2002, so it is unlikely that she will respond since she hasn't posted since June 2002.

Most CAD/CALPer's hang out in the "Hour Power" daily hang out. So feel free to visit us there
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-30-06, 09:46
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

5 servings of fruit and 5 of vegetables sounds difficult -- don't forget nuts for good fats and essential fatty acids and dairy for vitamins and calcium. You only have one hour.
Granted some of the veggies can be consumed at comp meals broccoli being and exception and fruit like avocado.

I read someone on OWL eats 3 apples a day and still does well. Finding out what we can and can't do is eternaly challenging.