Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-07, 08:19
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Demi, I feel like a broken record when I say you find the best articles...but you really do! I needed to read this today. I feel so guilty for taking time off, but honestly, I have been dealing with rising temperatures as well as weariness and I have been "listening to my body" and resting. I was actually thinking instead of the gym today to do some pilates and yoga at home instead...still get some blood going, keep the core strong, but not really high impact. The article definitely supports my thinking on that.

Next week I'm going to be gone and won't have access to a computer. I'll be thinking of all of you and vibing you good and strong thoughts. I'll be at my Mom's helping her pack up her house for good. It's going to be stressful and I won't be near my gym or a computer. My challenge will be to keep my core strength and find some kind of cardio and do non-equipement resistance work. I am bringing a couple video tapes on pilates and yoga with me and I'll just have to do the best I can.

I'm hoping I'll be able to check back in around the first week in April, maybe the 4th. Take care and stay strong!!
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-07, 09:14
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Instead, Todman recommends Pilates classes, preferably run by a physiotherapist. Studies at Queensland University in Australia have shown that Pilates exercises can develop the core muscles in the trunk which support the back and help to prevent a range of leg injuries. "The importance of posture is massively underplayed," Todman says. "Poor posture is the most common cause of back ache and that links to other injuries. Activities like Pilates can help to correct that."

Hey ladies!!

Lisa!! Where are you going sweetie!! It'll be so quiet here with you gone!!

I'm so happy for you that you've found an aspect of low carb thats helping you to shed pounds, re: higher fat!!

Demi...yes..you do always find the best articles!! I really like what they say about Pilates....makes me wanna do 100s!!!

I had a good workout this week with McHottie..... I'm still only doing it once a week and almost went to 2 times this week but my shoulder felt very tender and I'm afraid to push it as I've got an old rotator cuff injury that has been aggravated doing chin ups.

I've been finding that I can do my warmup now with ease...I had been huffing and puffing and now its easy!! My soreness level is reduced after workouts and thats a good thing too. I'm getting better with my form when lifting as Im a believer that correct form is vital to any sport.

I've also decided to get my weight down to 150.....I've been maintaining between 156 and 158 for many months now....I think that I'd be happier a little lighter. so I'm going for it and I've been working at getting my food quantites down to a place where my body will lose....its hard now....harder than I thought it would be. Its gonna take a very long time!!

Its funny that I'm the exact same weight as I was last year at this time....and I kow that I've already mentioned this but it happened again yesterday...put on a pair of pants from last year...they were too tight last year...they fit so much better than last year at the same weight...I can see that I am indeed firming up!! When I go to twice a week, it'll really begin to happen faster.

Wishing you all a lovely weekend!!
  #228   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-07, 10:35
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Hey ladies!!

Lisa!! Where are you going sweetie!! It'll be so quiet here with you gone!!

Big change in life going on...we are moving my Mom in with us. We're working on selling her house (3,500+ sq ft with 2 households of stuff in it) and next week I am driving her back up so we can sort through everything, get antiques ready for sale, get things ready for the movers (who are coming 4/2) and hopefully resolve when/if we'll have a closing, etc. I'll be without my computer or computer access, without my gym...no Fitday. It's basically the ultimate test! So I'm bringing a cooler with tons of my favorite foods to eat/snack and I'll journal things hardcopy (which I've done when visiting for a day here and there) and I'm also bringing some old pilates and yoga videos. I'm looking at this week as a sort of rebooting/fresh start. So I'm hoping I can continue to maintain my level of fitness as well as conquer all the extreme stress and panic coursing through my body regarding such a huge undertaking. (FYI, Mom just turned 80 so it's really time for this and I'm happy to do it - I'm just going through this at an earlier time than most people, but with all the support and love I receive from family and friends, I'll get through it!)

Quote:
I had a good workout this week with McHottie..... I'm still only doing it once a week and almost went to 2 times this week but my shoulder felt very tender and I'm afraid to push it as I've got an old rotator cuff injury that has been aggravated doing chin ups.

I've been finding that I can do my warmup now with ease...I had been huffing and puffing and now its easy!! My soreness level is reduced after workouts and thats a good thing too. I'm getting better with my form when lifting as Im a believer that correct form is vital to any sport.

Judy, you are doing SO well and approaching this so smartly, I'm absolutely certain you'll reach your new goal in no time. It's very important not to promote injury (we're always reading about overtraining and I think a bunch of us have succumbed to the issues of that, haven't we?). It sounds like you're progressing at just the right pace and...say it with me babes..."listening to your body"!!! Brilliant!

I'm going to miss my babes. So please stay strong this week and know I'm thinking about you and can't wait to get updates when I return. (Movers will be coming down here with truck on 4/3, so I'm hoping by that night or by 4/4 I'll be able to check in again.)
  #229   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-07, 08:59

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 153.0/144.8/130.0 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Hello ladies!! It seems everyone is doing well!!!

I have been sticking to my workout plan and even fit in some extra on Sunday (I usually don't do much exercise on Sat or Sun).

I have a question for you ladies. I have what I think is called "sway back" (I am getting ready to try to research this more on the internet today). My lower back arches alot more than the average persons when I am just standing up. My back aches when I stand in one spot, it doesn't bother me so much if I am walking/moving. So part of my problem is doing abdominal work. People tell me all the time just keep it up your back and abs will get stronger. I don't think (I could be wrong) that the problem is that my back isn't strong enough. I have been working out consistently for over a year. My back shouldn't hurt after 25 crunches! So to get to the point of writing this I wondered if anyone (maybe Demi has an article on this) know how or suggestions to help this?
  #230   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 04:49

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni03
Hello ladies!! It seems everyone is doing well!!!

I have been sticking to my workout plan and even fit in some extra on Sunday (I usually don't do much exercise on Sat or Sun).

I have a question for you ladies. I have what I think is called "sway back" (I am getting ready to try to research this more on the internet today). My lower back arches alot more than the average persons when I am just standing up. My back aches when I stand in one spot, it doesn't bother me so much if I am walking/moving. So part of my problem is doing abdominal work. People tell me all the time just keep it up your back and abs will get stronger. I don't think (I could be wrong) that the problem is that my back isn't strong enough. I have been working out consistently for over a year. My back shouldn't hurt after 25 crunches! So to get to the point of writing this I wondered if anyone (maybe Demi has an article on this) know how or suggestions to help this?

I've not heard of 'sway back' before, so am really not in a position to give you any advice about it.

However, I also used to have a problem that my back really ached if I stood up for too long, and like you, I was fine when I was walking/moving around.

In my case, I took a pilates course to strengthen my core muscles, and it does sound that your core muscles could do with some strengthening too.

I suggest that you either check out a pilates class, or one where the emphasis is on core training.

I also suggest that you get yourself a copy of this book: The Core Program: Fifteen Minutes a Day That Can Change Your Life, as I think that it could really help with your problem.
  #231   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 11:54

BF:

Thanks for the advice Demi.

I will just keep taking my afternoon CORE essentials class and my AM pilates class hopefully that I will eventually work out for me. I think next time that I have to visit the doctor I will mention something to him for suggestions too!
  #232   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-07, 05:11

BF:

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Demi.

You're welcome!

Have just read this interesting entry in Tom's Venuto;s Burn the Fat blog, and thought that I'd share it here:
Eat More, Burn More: G-Flux Interview Highlights… Tom Venuto With Dr. John Berardi
  #233   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-07, 02:58

BF:

Here's the follow-on part 2 from yesterday's G-Flux Interview between Tom Venuto and John Beradi:

Low Calorie Dieters Beware - The G-Flux Interview Part 2

I thought the part about over training was interesting!
  #234   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-07, 10:12

BF:

Very interesting Demi! Thanks.

I just left the gym & got to work! I love working out before work it gives me so much energy for the day!
  #235   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-07, 15:09

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I think if you'll do a Google search under "lordosis," you might find a number of articles that address this condition--at least, if I'm reading you right. See what you think~ And good luck!
  #236   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 08:50

BF:

In case anyone is interested, here's the link to Tom Venuto's latest Bodybuilding & Fitness Secrets Newsletter

In This Issue (#56)
  • Editorial: 70 & 80 Year Old Bodybuilders Run Circles Around "Youngsters"
  • Ask Tom Q & A of The Month: Body Wraps & Waist Wraps: The Difference Between Losing Fat And Losing Inches
  • Article of the month: The Big Picture Of Weight Loss, By Will Brink
  • Monthly Motivator: Willpower is way overrated by Doug Bench
  • Motivational Quotes of the month

From the Article of the month: The Big Picture Of Weight Loss, By Will Brink:
Quote:
Missing link for long term weight loss

We now make our way to another test to help you choose a nutrition program for long term weight loss, and it does not actually involve nutrition. The missing link for long term weight loss is exercise. Exercise is the essential component of long term weight loss. Many diet programs do not contain an exercise component, which means they are losers for long term weight loss from the very start. Any program that has its focus on weight loss but does not include a comprehensive exercise plan is like buying a car without tires, or a plane without wings. People who have successfully kept the weight off overwhelmingly have incorporated exercise into their lives, and the studies that look at people who have successfully lost weight and kept it off invariably find these people were consistent with their diet and exercise plans. (4)

I am not going to list all the benefits of regular exercise here, but regular exercise has positive effects on your metabolism, allows you to eat more calories yet still be in a calorie deficit, and can help preserve lean body mass (LBM) which is essential to your health and metabolism. The many health benefits of regular exercise are well known, so I won’t bother adding them here. The bottom line here is, (a) if you have any intentions of getting the most from your goal of losing weight and (b) plan to keep it off long term, regular exercise must be an integral part of the weight loss strategy. So, you can eliminate any program, be it book, e-book, clinic, etc. that does not offer you direction and help with this essential part of long term weight loss.

Side Bar: A quick note on exercise:

Any exercise is better than no exercise. However, like diet plans, not all exercise is created equal, and many people often choose the wrong form of exercise to maximize their efforts to lose weight. For example, they will do aerobics exclusively and ignore resistance training. Resistance training is an essential component of fat loss, as it builds muscle essential to your metabolism, increases 24 hour energy expenditure, and has health benefits beyond aerobics.

The reader will also note I said fat loss above not weight loss. Though I use the term ‘weight loss’ throughout this article, I do so only because it is a familiar term most people understand. However, the true focus and goal of a properly set up nutrition and exercise plan should be on fat loss, not weight loss. A focus on losing weight, which may include a loss essential muscle, water, and even bone, as well as fat, is the wrong approach. Losing the fat and keeping the all important lean body mass (LBM), is the goal, and the method for achieving that can be found in my ebook(s) on the topic, and is beyond the scope of this article. Bottom line: the type of exercise, intensity of that exercise, length of time doing that exercise, etc., are essential variables here when attempting to lose FAT while retaining (LBM).
  #237   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 09:39

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Thanks Demi. I'll have to get the IRONMAN mag. Rachel was my inspiration!
  #238   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-07, 14:21
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hiya Babes! I'm back (sort of) for this week. I've gotten Mom mostly moved in. My house is a wreck, but her room is lovely. I posted an update in my journal. I hope you're all doing well. I didn't do any working out this week at all. <sigh> I really had to babysit my Mom a lot, so to speak, and I worked from sun up to sun down. I was very physical, but just didn't do any exercise in the traditional sense. I will say, though, that all the fitness I acquired before this SAVED me during a truly stress filled and challenging week. I would have never had the stamina or strength that got me through all the moving and sorting and cleaning that I accomplished. I'm a living example of real-world application to what we believe in!

That being said, I really need to rest...but I just wanted to say hi and wish you all well. I've missed you! Stay strong!!
  #239   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 07:45

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Are you too hung on up on the "Why"?

Written by: Erik Ledin

Are you too hung on up on the "Why" instead of focusing on
the "What" or "How"?

Let me explain...

I have met many people on my online 'travels' who spend all
their time asking themselves "Why" questions :

- Why am I here?
- Why do I always mess up?
- Why can't I be more successful?
- Why am I so unlucky?

And...because they are asking themselves those 'unanswerable'
type questions - they just get even more depressed and
frustrated when they find that they don't have the answers!

Focus instead on the "What" questions...

- What can I do NOW to improve my body?
- What could I do differently next time?
- What will I focus on doing better today?
- What can I achieve if I really put myself 100% into it?

...and the "How" questions...

- How will I stop myself from reacting the same way next time?
- How will this help achieve my goals?
- How can I make my job more interesting?
- How can I find ways to learn more about myself?

It's all a question of questions!

'How' and 'What' questions automatically focus you on doing
something.

'Why' questions automatically provide excuses for why you aren't
doing something!

So - next time you feel that life is treating you badly - or you
are wondering "Why them and not me?" - perhaps you should start
looking for the How's and the What's to give you some help to get
something positive out of the situation.
  #240   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 08:05

BF:

Great post galatia Thanks for sharing.