Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-07, 14:16

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 190/147/145 Female 61 inches
BF:39/??/20
Progress: 96%
Question PCOS and Birth Control

I have an appointment with my dr in 2 weeks. I have been on Provera for the last 10 weeks. I have also been spotting for the whole time, hair growth has increased and I have not been able to lose weight even with LC and rigorous exercise. I am definitiely changing my birth control. Does anyone have postitve experiences with other bc meds? If so, I really need some advice.

-Avril
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-07, 16:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263.6/253.6/160 Female 5 ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Actually, no. I've been on BC a few times, (never actually for BC, they were trying to deal with the cysts) and I've had nothing but bad experiences. The only other person I know firsthand that has had a bad experience with any BC meds is my friend who also has PCOS...maybe it's a cysters thing?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-07, 15:14

Stats: 187/160/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 47%

I don't have any positive experiences either...I've tried several kinds and none of them have worked out for me. I have PCOS but have never had irregular periods, though. My sister, who has PCOS as well, has had good results with the birth controls that have a level dosage of hormone throughout the month.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 09:18

Thanks for the responses. I've been doing some online research (oh, boy)...it seems like Yasmin is the best pill for PCOS because it contains spiro and has an anti-androgenic effect. But as usual, there are side effects w/ every drug. Ortho Tricylen worked ok for me but it gave me severe acne and I had to see a dermatologist for anti-inflammatory meds. This current shot has kept me spotting/bleeding for 11 weeks now w/ bad cramping. Some side effects are unacceptable. I will keep trying until I find something I can live with. Thanks for the insight.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 09:52
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Are you on Provera or Depo-provera--two completely different things.

Would like to know before I give an answer.

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 09:57

Lisa, it's good ole' depo...
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-07, 10:59
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I am so sorry--somehow I missed the last post and with the holidays...I didn't answer back. In my experience with patients, if they have PCOS I NEVER use depo-provera--as you have found out the most common side effect is irregular and unpredictable spotting; increase in appetite (who needs that when you're already trying to lose weight), increase in fat deposits around the abdomen, hips, and thighs, and after about the second or third injection, many women find that their periods stop completely--some women love this because they hate having a period. Now, not to say that depo-provera isn't an excellent form of birth control but wouldn't be my first choice for some one with PCOS. With PCOS we want to try and regulate your periods to as close to a normal cycle as possible. Yasmine or YAZ are excellent combined birth control pills (meaning containing both estrogen and progesterone--depo provera--pregesterone only). I also prefer a monophasic (the dose of hormone is consistent thru all 3 weeks) than a triphasic (dose of hormone changes weekly)--just my prefrence. Believe it or not, it's all voodoo and personal preference. Talk with your women's health care provider about alternatives. Keep low carbing--probably one of the best things to help improve the symptoms of PCOS, keep exercising because it helps also decrease the insulin resistance, and you also may want to talk to your provider regarding if you may need metformin or not.

Again--so sorry for not replying sooner. I have no excuse except maybe early onset alzheimers because I'm perimenopausal

Lisa
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-07, 13:05

Stats: 372/236.6/199 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 78%

My doc put me on Yasmine BC pills and they are the only BC that I have ever been able to take WITHOUT bad side effects! Maybe they could work for you as well!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-08, 09:22

Thank you all for the advice. For some reason my last dr. convinced me that Depo was a good choice because it would help shrink my fibroids, no ovulation, less ovarian cysts, etc. I just started Yasmin last week and so far so good. I had an acne breakout this past weekend but can't say for certain if it's related to the pill or something else. I have finally stopped spotting after 3 months, which is in of itself a victory. I am going to be seeing a new PCP this year and hope to get a full reproductive/endocrine evaluation. Happy New Year everyone!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 09:02

Plan: dietician where i work at
Stats: 360/354/200 Female 67
BF:
Progress:
Talking i know how u feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzyzzy
I have an appointment with my dr in 2 weeks. I have been on Provera for the last 10 weeks. I have also been spotting for the whole time, hair growth has increased and I have not been able to lose weight even with LC and rigorous exercise. I am definitiely changing my birth control. Does anyone have postitve experiences with other bc meds? If so, I really need some advice.

-Avril

to me i dont beleive bc helps PCOS because i when i found out at age 16 i had it, they put me on provera and bc. i ended up in the ER almost twice a month because i was in so much pain from the cysts rupturing and bleeding really bad. it also messed with my blood pressure. but the hairs went away for awhile. i lost weight because i was so sick. but i got tired of feeling misreable so i stopped taking all that mess. so i tell u now that if u feel like bc is going to do wonders i would research ever bc pill they have out there and dont let the docs experiment on you like they did me. because they tried to put me on everything. hope u get everything under control.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 11:06

Plan: 1972 Atkins
Stats: 234/210/160 Female 5,7"
BF:100 % scary!
Progress: 32%

I don't have PCOS, I have Endometriosis. I've been on Depo-Lupron for 6 months and was able to lose on that. It's not a BC method, just an estrogen suppressant. I started Seasonique last Sunday. Have any of you had experiences with Seasonique? I'm afraid I won't lose weight.