Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 06:38

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default The Saccharine Disease - free book online

This 1974 classic, based on a lifetime of work by surgeon captain T. L. Cleave, might be familiar to those of us who read Gary Taubes' work.

The Saccharine Disease - online

It is available as a website, with each chapter a new page. Subtitled "Conditions caused by the Taking of Refined Carbohydrates, such as Sugar and White Flour" and explains his theory that refined carb consumption is the "master disease" that causes a large number of chronic conditions.

Quote:
THE term, 'refined carbohydrate foods', will be shortened in this work to 'refined carbohydrates'. The mass incrimination of these, especially sugar and white flour, over many of the ills of Westernized countries today, was first advanced by the author of the present work in a long paper in 1956; and as far as he knows he was the first to advance this unitary conception, which he later promulgated under the term, 'the Saccharine Disease'. The original paper included the chart now given in Chapter II, showing the enormous rise in sugar consumption over the last century and a half, and the conditions blamed on this consumption, and on that of white flour, included diabetes, coronary disease, and obesity; peptic ulcer; constipation, haemorrhoids, and varicose veins; Escherichia coli infections such as appendicitis, cholecystitis, pyelitis, and diverticulitis; together with renal calculus, many skin conditions, and of course dental caries. Later the author published monographs on coronary disease, varicose veins, and peptic ulcer and carried the conception further forward, especially in the last named work; and later still in a joint work.

In this case "saccharine" refers to sweetness, not the artificial sweetener.

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 07:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thanks werebear, I'll get that! I finally finished The Case against Sugar yesterday. Maybe not as gripping for me as his previous works...just because I had read all the previous Taubes works, and all his articles like the Mother Jones one also. Much repetition for me, but if you want every nuance to the sugar story, this is it.

Six years ago I found a .pdf of Yudkins Pure, white and deadly. It is a photocopy of the print book, it was out of print at that time, still have it, 108 pages.
Since then, that book has been reprinted and is available for purchase, but I still see free .pdf copies floating around the interwebs.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jan-23-17 at 07:18.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 22:35

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Thanks for that - of all the works Taubes cited, this one looked key to me. Atkins, Yudkin, Cleave & MacKarness (Eat Fat and Grow Slim) were all pointed in the right direction, but in the 1970s politics took over and pushed carbs due to heavy lobbying from purveyors of sugar and starch and ruined the health of several nations.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 06:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Thanks for that - of all the works Taubes cited, this one looked key to me. Atkins, Yudkin, Cleave & MacKarness (Eat Fat and Grow Slim) were all pointed in the right direction, but in the 1970s politics took over and pushed carbs due to heavy lobbying from purveyors of sugar and starch and ruined the health of several nations.

Exactly my take! So I was pleased to come across this find.

And his insight began in the 1950's, a time when "processed food" was otherwise real food when it was canned or frozen. Now, looking at the list of ingredients that isn't food on a typical frozen dinner, it's really daunting what is in there, and could be screwing with our metabolism in other nefarious ways.

As someone gluten free, this entire industry is forbidden ground. They put wheat in everything now. I agree with Dr Davis, of Wheatbelly, that they are using it as a "hungry additive" as well as a cheap filler: a meal that makes your customer want another meal. Evil genius!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 09:21

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Yes. Stephan Guyunet has a post defending sugar--sort of. Basically looking at "sweet spot" studies where at a certain level of sugar, animals will eat the most, and increasing or decreasing sugar from this point will decrease food intake. Those of us interested in how people could be healthier read studies like this to see how things can be made better--industry reads them to see how profits can be increased. Besides evil genius, there's the sort of natural selection at work in the free market. Bet you can't have just one--foods that can't make this claim, disappear from the shelves.

With the wheat--tiny bits of wheat or gluten can make big differences in consistency and flavour, even for people without an actual gluten intolerance. Take a piece of toast--even a little browning, involving a fraction of the surface of the bread makes a massive difference in taste. Same with sugar, the "sweet spot" is obviously very malleable when browning reactions come into the picture.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 10:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That is a great point, hadn't thought about how browning can increase the "sweet spot". So wonder how Guyunet handles that in his new book. Our library ordered it (can't always account for their buyers' taste )
"The problem, argues obesity and neuroscience researcher Stephan J. Guyenet, is not necessarily a lack of willpower or an incorrect understanding of what to eat. Rather, our appetites and food choices are led astray by ancient, instinctive brain circuits that play by the rules of a survival game that no longer exists."
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 10:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
That is a great point, hadn't thought about how browning can increase the "sweet spot". So wonder how Guyunet handles that in his new book. Our library ordered it (can't always account for their buyers' taste )
"The problem, argues obesity and neuroscience researcher Stephan J. Guyenet, is not necessarily a lack of willpower or an incorrect understanding of what to eat. Rather, our appetites and food choices are led astray by ancient, instinctive brain circuits that play by the rules of a survival game that no longer exists."

I actually agree with that. And I am no Guyenet Fan!

However, for everything he gets right... he gets something else wrong, at least in my experience
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 11:10

BF:

Also, while it is not referenced of late, Sugar Blues by William Duffy was famous in its day. I recall it had a lot of WWII research in it.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 11:21

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I found that book in a used book store maybe ten years ago. I liked it but was disappointed at the end where his answer was keeping a tupperware container with rice sushi rolls handy.