Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 11:09

Plan: Not low carbing anymore.
Stats: 184/152/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 73%
Question Weight Lifting for TROUBLE SPOTS

1. What kind of moves can I do to eliminate the fat between the boobage area and the underarm (the pooch that sticks out over the braline). Sick!

2. I am an ex-athlete and have tons of muscle in my legs. What can I do to get lean long legs rather then bulky muscular legs?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 14:17

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Keep losing the bodyfat. No weight training is going to make fat magically disappear in certain spots. Weight training is used to strengthen, grow (shape to some degree) and harden muscles. When done in certain ways, it can also be used to burn calories.

According to Paul Chek, weight training to burn calories should be done in a circuit fashion using lower reps, minimal rest and bigger movements (no isolation exercises). Start with two times around with one-minute rest between exercises. Pick 5 exercises that cover the entire body. As your conditioning gets better, increase the number of times around the circuit and/or decrease the rest periods.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 15:04

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra
1. What kind of moves can I do to eliminate the fat between the boobage area and the underarm (the pooch that sticks out over the braline). Sick!

2. I am an ex-athlete and have tons of muscle in my legs. What can I do to get lean long legs rather then bulky muscular legs?

1. other person is right. you have to lose the fat by diet & exercise. If you want to look better on the way, do resistance exercises that strengthen your shoulders and back. I'm not sure what that particular area (between "boobage" and underarm) is called, but i know what works. Try lots of rows, presses (for example, military presses,) and general overhead work. It's great for your back, which will make everything connected tighter and better looking.

2.Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but there's nothing you can do. If you were meant to have long, lean legs, they would've become that way during your years as an athlete. You can NOT change the way your muscles look. It is genetic. It's like asking how to become taller with longer limbs, rather than short and stocky. Not gonna happen. People will tell you "do pilates; do yoga", but these types of exercises will not change anything about the structural makeup of your muscle. Stretch- based exercise will not BUILD as much muscle as, for example, olympic weightlifting, but this just means that you won't have as much muscle. It will be the same shape.
So, if you wanna get a little bit stronger, and more flexible, try yoga. You generally don't build super muscle with it. Don't do ashtanga yoga, it will build you up the most (and is also the most effective type of yoga for weightloss and cardiac benefit...) Try something lighter.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-05, 16:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 227/213/140 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hey Zebra!! If you want to make things lok longer and leaner, Pilates is wonderful. Not a cure all, but it does flatten tummies and take away inches. I bulk up whatever type of exercise I do, but I didn't find it so much with Pilates. Some of the videos are pretty good...

Good Luck