Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 13:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkinsish
Stats: 188/188/145 Female 68.4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Do you wait until you're hungry to eat?

I have been eating low carb for about a month and a half. Initially, I ate 3 meals and two snacks. Now I find myself eating two boiled eggs for breakfast, (at about 8:30), a chicken ceaser salad for lunch (at around 1) and supper with vegetables and protein (at around 5:30). Often I somewhat force eat out of habit, and out of knowing that by not eating often enough I will slow down my metabolism. Should I be eating more often, just smaller portions? Let me know. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 15:38

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Don't believe that, myself

I'm not one for the theory about eating lots of smaller meals boosts metabolism. there's an equivalent # of pages saying three meals a day no snacks has a different but just as powerful impact.

If you're not hungry, don't eat.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 15:40

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

listen to what your body tells you. granted you don't want to go several hours without eating, and if you need smaller portions to satisfy you, then maybe doing smaller meals throughout the day is the way to go. just make sure you get plenty of fat in your meals.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 15:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/266/150 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 3%
Thumbs up when to eat

I try to eat when I am physically hungry....and try not to eat when "emotionally" hungry. Take care! Kim
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 19:38

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I don't wait till I feel hunger pangs cuz then I will eat anything. I am very regular at spacing my meals with this expectation. I know when I have a window of need for food without overeating. The idea is control. If you allow yourself to get hungry, you are out of control. BUT, lc made it easy for me to achieve that control over hunger pangs. Actually, hunger became a milder and kinder feeling for me.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 19:43

Plan: 30 or less daily
Stats: 232.2/214.4/169 Female 68
BF:[url=http://www.Ti
Progress: 28%

Lately I could go without eating! Just not hungry most of the time. Thing is I don't want to end up in starvation mode so I force myself to eat a little something and then definitely have dinner plus some sort of snack at night. Been wondering if maybe I'd do better loosing if I just didn't eat till I was hungry.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 03:12

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

If I wait until I'm really hungry, I won't be able to stop eating. I usually try to eat every few hours so I don't get that way.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 06:36

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

I am never hungry (benefit of ketosis); hence, I force myself to eat as food grosses me out to be honest. Unfortunately, I am guilty of skipping breakfast and lunch most days ..... I am not a good role model here! It sounds as if you are doing great! Jill
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 06:38

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

I keep to a schedule whether I'm hungry or not.

Coffee (sometimes nuts if I'm hungry mid-morning)

Lunch (salad, cheese, nuts)

Dinner (meat, veggie, Dreamfields if I've been good)

Snack (LC popcorn, SF heavy cream/whipped)
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 08:54
Registered Member

Stats: 270/266/150 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 3%
Thumbs up do you wait until you are hungry?

It is so great to be on a board with folks who honor what works for them....instead of trying to follow what works for other people. I should clarify what I meant when I say I wait until I am physically hungry....for me this means when I feel the slightest pang that I need a few bites or a light snack. If I wait until the slighest pang passes and I become ravenous.....my eating then goes out of control. So, I try to listen to my body....and make sure when I eat I do my best to follow the LC lifestyle. Take care!!! So good to journey with all of you! Kim
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 13:01
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I found, once I broke free of my carb addiction and the hunger and cravings went away, that my natural appetite only seems to want 2 meals a day, on a schedule something like 11 am and 6 pm.
But I'm diabetic, of which they always recommend frequent smaller meals, and take meds and supplements that instruct 3 times a day with food, so I try to do 3 meals a day.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 17:56

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

What a great question. I found out that I only eat a couple of times a day too. I eat a small snack in the morning when I get to work. (5 a.m.), then at break time I eat a salad or some meat (9:30 a.m.), then when others go to lunch at 12:30, I am just not hungry. sometimes I eat whatever I had left from break if I didn't eat it all, or I just skip lunch. When I get home, I try to eat whatever carbs to at least get 20 - 25 in for the day. Sometimes it's a salad, sometimes it's only a square of dark *85% chocolate. It seems to be working for me. My pants are fitting a lot looser.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 18:09

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Sometimes I eat "on schedule", sometimes only when I'm hungry.

The schedule works best when I don't expect to have a chance to eat for several hours, and want to make sure I don't wait too long to eat.

The "hunger" cues don't need to be very strong for me to decide it's time to eat either, although the lower carb I go, the less frequently I get hungry.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 18:18

Plan: LC/IF and such
Stats: -/-/- Female 60 inches
BF:2 spare tires
Progress: 33%

SOmetimes I have to eat on a schedule. I'll find if I don't I will hit starving and then hit a craving. Another wierd thing for me is I will find I am 'not hungry' right before I hit starving. I have to try to eat RIGHT before the not hungry feeling. It's really wierd.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 20:09

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

The only meal I eat by schedule is breakfast. If I don't consciously make myself eat something within an hour of getting up in the morning it would be noon before I'm hungry. Waiting to eat that late would wreck my metabolism. The rest of the day, I eat when I'm hungry. I usually eat 5 or 6 small meals/snacks throughout the day.