Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#436   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-17, 12:43

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

Happy New Year to you Janet; thanks ever so much for all of your help and thoughtful information. Still feeling good. Some pain in abdomen creeping up, but nothing major. Uh, yet.
Sponsored Links
  #437   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 06:10

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...70106113820.htm

Quote:
Time-restricted feeding study shows promise in helping people shed body fat

University of Alabama at Birmingham researchers are trying to find out whether changing a person's eating schedule can help them lose weight and burn fat.

The first human test of early time-restricted feeding, or eTRF, found that this meal-timing strategy reduced swings in hunger and altered fat and carbohydrate burning patterns, which may help with losing weight. With eTRF, people eat their last meal by the mid-afternoon and do not eat again until breakfast the next morning. The findings were unveiled during a presentation at The Obesity Society Annual Meeting at Obesity Week 2016 in New Orleans, Louisiana.

"Eating only during a much smaller window of time than people are typically used to may help with weight loss," said Courtney Peterson, Ph.D., an associate professor in the Department of Nutrition Sciences at UAB. "We found that eating between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. followed by an 18-hour daily fast kept appetite levels more even throughout the day, in comparison to eating between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., which is what the average American does."

This new research, funded by a TOS Early Career Research Grant awarded in 2014, suggests that eating a very early dinner, or even skipping dinner, may have some benefits for losing weight, although further studies need to take place to confirm that theory. Previous animal studies showed that eTRF helped rodents burn more fat.

The human body has an internal clock, and many aspects of metabolism are at their optimal functioning in the morning. Therefore, eating in alignment with the body's circadian clock by eating earlier in the day may positively influence health. This first test of eTRF in humans follows rodent studies of this approach to weight loss, which previously found that eTRF reduced body fat and decreased the risk of chronic diseases in rodents.

During the human study, Peterson and her colleagues followed 11 men and women with excess weight over four days of eating between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m., and four days of eating between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Researchers then tested the impact of eTRF on calories burned, fat burned and appetite. Participants tried both eating schedules, ate the same number of calories both times and completed all testing under supervision.

Researchers found that, although eTRF did not affect how many total calories participants burned, it reduced daily hunger swings and increased fat burning during several hours at night. It also improved metabolic flexibility, which is the body's ability to switch between burning carbs and burning fats.

Whether eTRF helps with long-term weight loss or improves other aspects of health is still unknown. Peterson says that, because the human study involved only a small number of participants, a larger, more comprehensive study will need to take place.

I prefer skipping breakfast to skipping dinner, but some people like it the other way around. Generally I have more energy fasted, so if I do an eating window type IF intermittent fasting, I like to do my big meal later in the day. Good to see IF by any name being studied.
  #438   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 09:13

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I'm just not hungry in the morning, never have been, and eating breakfast makes me hungry all day. So it's a great meal to skip!
  #439   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 10:34

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

And for me breakfast and a mid afternoon meal works perfectly.

Jean
  #440   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 14:32

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've been doing 16:8 for years, and sometimes the fasting window ends up at 17-20 and that can be fine on those given days, but a lot of times at hour 16 I am HUNGRY.
  #441   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 20:39

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm one who prefers to eat an early dinner (say 6 PM) and then I'm happy not to eat until after noon the following day. I'm another who is rarely hungry in the morning and quite happy to skip breakfast. 8 AM is way too early to eat!
  #442   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 20:42

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
During the human study, Peterson and her colleagues followed 11 men and women with excess weight over four days of eating between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m., and four days of eating between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Researchers then tested the impact of eTRF on calories burned, fat burned and appetite. Participants tried both eating schedules, ate the same number of calories both times and completed all testing under supervision.
I wish they had also tested a group that ate between 2 PM and 8 PM as that is much more the schedule that I'm happy with - though I actually prefer noon to 6 PM.
  #443   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 03:48

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:

I have my meal between 4 and 5 pm. Earlier and I would have problems dropping off to sleep at 10/11.
  #444   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 04:39

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I wish they had also tested a group that ate between 2 PM and 8 PM as that is much more the schedule that I'm happy with - though I actually prefer noon to 6 PM.

Me too. And a further step is looking at effects of the actual diet eaten. There's The one study a while back where people at a big breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner, or vice versa. There, eating more at breakfast rather than dinner seemed to have benefits. That was a calorie restricted diet, I think the calories were 700, 500, and 200. Most of the carbohydrate was eaten in the large meal. It sort of makes sense that if you are doing a bit of a carb load, having it in the morning, before the day's activities, gives you more of a chance to burn it off--where if you have it in the evening, and then sleep, you've got a situation where your glycogen stores are a little higher going to bed, this could bring up your insulin levels a bit before the fast. On a more ketogenic intake, the difference to liver glycogen before the night's fast between a 200 and a 700 calorie would be much smaller. I've mentioned that if I eat later in the day, I'll have more energy earlier in the day--this advantage disappears if I go a little more ketogenic, 60 grams of protein a day, 20 grams net carbs, if I have half my day's protein and carbs for breakfast, half for dinner, energy is as good early in the day as if I'd put off eating until dinner. Even a less restricted Atkins style diet would make me more sluggish.
  #445   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-17, 04:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

#446   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 17:19

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:

Feeling great today; fasted just a couple of weeks ago for four days and did not fare that well. Probably because I am a bit thin now. Fasting for me is for health benefits linked to oc diagnosis. Next fast will be a short one in three month's time again. Naturopath says I am showing improvement. Onco says my CA-125 levels are low, so I am taking that as good news. I feel pretty good and am grateful to be alive and kicking.
  #447   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 18:01

Happy New Year to you, Ruth good to hear you are doing well and feeling great today. I know Dr Seyfried espouses a complete water-only fast when you do one as an adjunct to cancer treatment. Though when you are thin could you consider adding a pure oil like coconut for some calories to make it a bit easier on you? Assuming you can keep the G:K ratios in the same range you already maintain.

FastingTalk podcast is doing well..at #17 in Health podcasts on iTunes right now with only 3 episodes.
Megan Ramos is good with five years experience in Dr Fung's clinic and her own impressive weight loss. The show has its own website for show notes, questions, etc. http://www.fastingtalk.com
  #448   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 03:20

Interesting success story on IDM today. A women who lost weight...way more than half her size...was featured in People Magazine. They twisted her story from fasting to "many small meals a day"!

https://intensivedietarymanagement....t-profile-gina/
  #449   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 03:49

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Interesting success story on IDM today. A women who lost weight...way more than half her size...was featured in People Magazine. They twisted her story from fasting to "many small meals a day"!

https://intensivedietarymanagement....t-profile-gina/

I read this article. It is really astounding how People Magazine got it completely wrong about how she lost the weight.
Jean
  #450   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-17, 04:19

Gina's story has been removed at the request of People Magazine.
https://intensivedietarymanagement....eeks-gina-post/ But as a noted in a comment it is available on a certain Swedish LC news feed with the magazine name redacted. They can't handle the Truth.

Btw, even though I haven't bought the Complete Fasting book and Not a fan of Jimmy, I've been listening to the new Fasting podcast. I do like Megan Ramos (she would be your contact if you joined IDM distance program). The new podcast episode posted yesterday had a success story where her HbA1c was so high to be unmeasurable, but has come down dramatically in six months to 9.9, lost weight, etc. most weeks are in a Q and A format.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-21-17 at 04:27.