Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Nov-25-09, 23:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
I don't have any other coconut flour with which to compare Bob's Red Mill. I don't have a problem with BRM. I may try another brand.

What recipe did you use for the awesome pie crust?

It's my own recipe. I think it's in my blog... looking...
http://mostlypaleo.blogspot.com/200...lour-crust.html
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-09, 10:06

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Hmmmmm, interesting recipe for the crust. Will have to try that, maybe for Christmas pumpkin pie (if I can convince my sister to not BUY a pumpkin pie again). Do you buy your lard or make your own?
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-09, 10:19

Nancy, do you think the cranberry bread could be made with fresh berries (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries)? The recipe works with dried cranberries but those are sweetened and I'd like to make a loaf that is even lower carb. What do you think?

Also, do you think my lack of adhesiveness was contributed to b/c I added an entire can of coconut milk? I will say the moisture level of the loaf was perfect (as you are WELL aware, coconut flour absorbs liquid like the Sahara).
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-09, 22:37

I took some of the bread to my family's house for Thanksgiving dinner. It got rave reviews and people couldn't believe how moist it was - especially considering I made it on Sunday ($ days ago!). Nor could they believe it was gluten free and low carb (except for the dried cranberries). :-)

There aren't a lot of recipes I rave about, but this is an excellent recipe!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-09, 23:59
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
Nancy, do you think the cranberry bread could be made with fresh berries (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries)? The recipe works with dried cranberries but those are sweetened and I'd like to make a loaf that is even lower carb. What do you think?

Also, do you think my lack of adhesiveness was contributed to b/c I added an entire can of coconut milk? I will say the moisture level of the loaf was perfect (as you are WELL aware, coconut flour absorbs liquid like the Sahara).

Why did you use a whole can? I didn't add any extra moisture and it came out plenty moist. It might have contributed to the lack of adhesion but the xanthan gum, if you add it, will help a lot too.

I was toying with the idea of using fresh berries too. Definitely cut back on the liquid though, a lot of juice in berries.

Everyone really liked this recipe! My guests couldn't believe it was gluten free. Yeah, this recipe is definitely a keeper! Even without the berries it'd be good. Grated apple would be good too.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-09, 14:22

lol ... I used a whole can because I wasn't thinking. I read the recipe (which was on the computer in another room) but when I opened the can of coconut milk, I just dumped the entire can in.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 13:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/155/150 Female 5'8.5"
BF:

Gypsy, I have bought dried cranberries at whole foods that are unsweetened. They have 32 g of carbs and 12 g fiber for an entire cup as opposed to 99 g of sweetened per cup. I want to make fruitcake-type cookies at Christmas with them. Can't remember what I paid but I remember they are pricey. This recipe looks very good.
Anne
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 13:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/155/150 Female 5'8.5"
BF:

This looks do-able

Sugar-Free Dried Cranberries

Cranberry
It took awhile to get this method down, but now that I know what to do, it's easy. The important thing is not to be afraid to squish them down in the first phase, or they won't fully dry - the soluble fiber in them "gels" and retains water unless it's exposed to the air.

These are great as part of a low carb trail mix.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: ~8 hours
Ingredients:
1 bag (12 oz) fresh whole cranberries
1 C sugar substitute of your choice (can vary to taste)
1/2 C water
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 200 F.
1. Put cranberries in large skillet, and pick through to remove soft and/or brown ones.

2. If sweetener is powdered, dissolve in water. (comparison of sources of "liquid Splenda"). Pour over cranberries and stir.

3. Heat on medium high until cranberries pop, about 4-5 minutes. Stir every minute or two. When all seem popped, turn off the burner and let them cool for 10 minutes.

4. Squish them down with the back of a large spoon. Don't worry if it seems they are melding together. Let cool another 5 minutes or so.

5. Cover baking sheet with three layers of paper towels and a piece of parchment paper. (I'm sure this would work great in a food dehydrator, but I don't have one.)

6. Spread cranberries on the parchment. Have faith -- they will mostly "individuate" again as they dry. If unpopped ones remain, squish them down now.

7. Put in oven and turn heat down to 150 F.

8. In 2-4 hours, replace parchment and flip paper towels over. (You don't have to do this, but it speeds up the process.)

9. Start checking after 6 hours. Total time depends upon humidity and other factors. It usually takes me about 8 hours. It also depends on whether you want to dry them to the point where they still have some "give" or whether you like them "crispier".

10. Separate them, and store covered (zip-type bags work well).

Carb Count:The whole recipe has 25 grams of effective carbohydrate and 16 grams of fiber.

User Reviews
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 14:04
Experimenter

BF:

I think last year I tried to dry my own cranberries and I didn't realize you had to break the skins (i.e. squish them) to get them to dry! I tried for a day or two and finally realized they needed to be squished. Only then was I able to dry them.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 14:22

Thanks Anne! I'll take a look for those.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 15:16
Experimenter

BF:

Kumquats would be really good in this bread!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 15:22

Never had kumquats. I'm still thinking strawberries, raspberries and blackberries.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-09, 15:26
Experimenter

BF:

Kumquats are tart but have a sweet peel. I made muffins from them once and they were really good. They have a rather citrus-y taste.

I used a granny smith apple in my last batch and it was so-so. It really needs more tartness.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-09, 22:53

I had some excellent bread the other day with roasted garlic in it. I think I'm going to try that with this recipe. It should be yummmmmmmmy.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Dec-18-09, 22:42

Well, I didn't add garlic, roasted or otherwise. BUT, I halved the recipe (in case it didn't work), left out the cranberries and walnuts and made the following changes: I used 4 drops of Sweetfreeze and 5 teaspoons of Truvia (erithritol), 1/2 teaspoon of Key Lime juice instead of lemon, and added 1/4 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum. I lined three 4.5" diameter round cake pan with parchment paper, a plopped (literally "plopped") 3-4 fork-fulls into each pan. I tossed (it really was pretty close to "tossing" them) into a pre-heated 350 oven.

Because I was in a hurry (I needed them for a restaurant dinner at 7 and I didn't start until 6:15), after about 25 minutes I turned the oven up to 400-425 (my oven is not very exact) for five minutes. One pan got added late so I removed the two that were done (knife inserted came out clean) and turned the oven off while I left the last one in the oven to continue cooking while the oven cooled. The other two I wrapped in foil and took them with me to the firm holiday party at a local Italian restaurant. They were still warm when I got to the restaurant.

These were the PERFECT texture for dipping in oil and herbs. They might've been a *touch* too sweet for a dinner roll but otherwise, PERFECTION!!!!!! I'm sooooo stoked about this.

I am so making these for Christmas dinner. Although I will try a smaller size -- maybe 2.5" diameter.

Fair warning - they are very filling!

Nutritional counts, when halving the original recipe and making my changes:
Carbs: 46.61
Net carbs: 14.94
Fat: 35.95
Protein: 31.65
Calories: 633

Last edited by Gypsybyrd : Fri, Dec-18-09 at 23:08. Reason: added nutritional values