Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-17, 23:47

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 266/256/133 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Too much Estrogen in body caused from fat loss? What to do?

I've been doing the ketogenic diet very strictly for 5 1/2 months. I've lost 60 pounds. I feel like crap.
I have SO many symptoms that all point back to high estrogen. I could be wrong but here's the symptoms.
1: Lack of energy/motivation

2: PMS symptoms (worsened asthma, irritability, acne, tender/sore breasts, partial insanity, etc. ) all went from bad, to UNBEARABLE, as in I can't function as a human during that time. I literally just want to die during PMS. It's unreal. So, #2 PMS symptoms worsened.

3: I've never had allergy trouble in my life and suddenly I have horrible allergies.

4: I've been sick the majority of the time I've been dieting (5 1/2 months.) I'm so happy right now bc I've gone almost 3 weeks without getting sick!

5: My skin looks terrible always now (my face) but almost too bad to go out in public when PMS

6: I often feel light headed/dizzy/blurry eyes. Especially when working hard. (like stacking wood, racking leaves quickly etc.) This is a problem I had before too sometimes, but it's worse now. I don't know that this one can be linked to high estrogen.

7. Feminine Itching (not sure if that's due to estrogen, but I could see it being that!)

8: EXTREME hair loss. I'm talking half of my hair totally gone since I've been on this diet. Comes out in chunks.

9: Edema at times

10: Something just feels "off"

I look and feel much worse than before I started dieting OTHER THAN I've lost a significant amount of weight! I had good energy levels and NEVER sat around unable to motivate myself to move like I do now. It's miserable. I have to keep doing it because nothing else works for weight loss for me. I still need to lose about 70 pounds. I can't imagine feeling like this the whole time. :/ I know about and take electrolytes and that's not the problem.I also take good whole foods vitamins etc. Apparently you have estrogen stored in fat cells and it, along with toxins are released as you burn fat. I'm assuming this is what's going on with me. But has anyone else found a way to "fix" this and continue the diet without feeling like crap all the time. (And losing precious hair!!) I'm so tied of feeling so bad. On a rare occasion I'll have one really good high energy day, but then the next day it's back to dragging around barely getting anything done (and I have lots to do!) Advice please?!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-17, 03:11

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

My advice: Schedule an appointment with a trusted physician. In the mean time, print the above post out and show it to her/him so you don't forget what the symptoms you've exhibited.

While you wait you might want to experiment with salt and check your blood pressure periodically. Let us know how you are doing periodically, it might be helpful for someone else suffering like this.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-17, 05:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Agree with Thud..see a doctor.

60 pounds in 5 1/2 months is a lot of weight loss. You haven't read a book and your plan is "Ketogenic"...some of the on-line advice about Ketogenic diets is wacky. What are you eating? How much? when? Some of those symptoms sound more like severe calorie restriction than carb restriction or estrogen. Also symptoms of PCOS and candida yeast, though both of those usually improve with low carb. Maybe the antibiotic in Jan contributed to some symptoms.
Here is a nutritionist who has been writing about when a Keto diet is truly needed for a long time: http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2015/0...genic.html#more

Please read this guide about what a well-formulated Ketogenic Diet is: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto You are not getting the usual benefits, exactly the opposite. Maybe you can find some tips to help you balance your foods and add healthy foods while waiting to see a doctor. Some people do not do well having to restrict protein on a Keto diet...it isn't for everyone, esp if your goal is weight loss. Without knowing what you do eat and if it is Keto limits, I'd suggest adding more high quality protein.
All the best.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Apr-15-17 at 06:52.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 05:55

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 266/256/133 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I am on a strict keto plan. At first starting out I was just learning (I guess you read my previous posts) but I follow a REAL keto plan not just keeping carbs under 20g a day. I do not eat any non-keto foods. I've gotten most of my information from the diet dr. website and ketovangelist website and group. I'm super strict keto! I've emailed my dr office to set up an apt. to get tested for deficiencies and other things. I can hopefully get in on Monday. I know, I feel like I've had the opposite results as the usual ketoer. I've felt lousy this whole time! As for how much I eat, I just follow hunger cues. Some days I just eat one meal, some days I eat a lot. I do a lot of intermittent fasting, because I don't get as hungry. As for salt, I take electrolytes daily. And blood pressure stays lowish around 100/62 or something like that. The nurse said that was perfect last time I went to the dr. anyways, I will keep everyone posted on the results!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 09:28

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

What do you mean by super-strict keto? There are so many plans calling themselves keto. I see the ketoevangelist site says;

Quote:
No calorie counting
No food measuring
Bacon!

Even very low carb veggies can keep a person out of ketosis. They do say moderate protein, but high fat... I follow a pretty strict ketogenic diet, and I don't really consider not measuring an option if I want to call my diet ketogenic. And it's not just a matter of making sure that protein isn't too high for ketosis--it's also a matter of keeping protein from being too low. If you're trying to take in towards the lower requirement for protein, just by guess work, there's the danger of going too low.

Out of curiousity, I listened to this ketoevangelist podcast. I don't really want to criticize your chosen plan too much, that's not the question you asked. But I think their arguments are just wrong. There is no such thing as a predictably"ketogenic" diet without tracking. Food data bases aren't perfect, it's true that you can't know exactly what you're eating from day to day, grams of this vs. that wise. With the exception of foods like heavy cream and butter, or dry tuna. Veggies and fatty meats can have quite a bit of variation, that's true. But if I'm eating pretty much the same types of food, but in different ratios, and fitday says I'm getting 80 percent fat, 15 percent protein and 2000 calories, my ketones should be predictably higher than if fitday is saying the same calories, but 60 percent fat, 35 percent protein. And, just eating "ketogenic" foods without counting macros, I could end up at either of these places. I find I get a very different effect from varying the ketogenic ratio. Leaving carbs at 20 grams per day, with the higher protein intake, 2000 calories, I'll generally be hungrier, I might lose weight, but I'll be hungrier and prone to binges. At 80 percent fat, still 20 grams of carbohydrate net, I can lose weight without the hunger, and am generally happier and less socially anxious.

I'm not saying that you should be eating more ketogenically, since I don't know how ketogenically you're eating. But there's keto and then there's keto, if your response to a low carb diet isn't ideal, it might be good to know just where you fall on that line.

A lot of your symptoms sound like what can happen with prolonged, excessively low calorie intake. Do you know what your calorie intake is like? Calorie counting isn't just about keeping calories low, it's also about making sure that calorie intake isn't inappropriately low.