Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 07:34

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 150/150/140 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress:
Default new schwarzbeiner - When did you start to feel better?

Hi,
I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been reading the forum for about a week and have found everyone's contributions so helpful, I thought it was time to join.

I have just read and begun SPII in the last few weeks. Like most everyone, my story is pretty long - but the basics are: long history of overeating that started in childhood and related to grief and loss, over-achiever, disordered eating (not to make it sound too pathological), carb/sugar user. In the last few years I have created tremendous spiritual and emotional healing in my life - and the eating/food issues have changed, but my body has just given out. Two months ago I just lost all energy and have been deeply fatigued since. That was the catalyst to give up sugar, alcohol, refined carbs and over-eating in general. About a month after I stopped sugar I found SPII. I no longer crave sugar or carbs, but am not sure of what I am doing and am afraid of binging - I still don't feel secure enough, for instance, to stop counting calories, which has been a component of previous "disordered" food behavior.

I have really pulled back on exercise, although this too is an area where it is very hard for me to entirely let go. I am not physcially able do what I was doing a few months ago - the weekly running milage, for example. I am anxious about gaining weight, like most women, but more than anything, I want to be healthy again. This episode of exhaustion has been a pretty stark confirmation that I have indeed hurt my body. I'm not in denial anymore.

I welcome insight, experience from others who are on this path. More than anything, I'd like to know - When did you start to feel better?

Thanks - Kristy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 10:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159?/142/136 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Kristy,

I'm new at this, too, so I'm no authority, but as I move into my second week, I'm noticing changes already. I immediately began sleeping again, which for me is an enormous relief. My weight hasn't changed much, but my jeans feel comfotably loose. I totally relate to being afraid of the old compulsions taking over, but, you know, for me it's like they're lurking there in the dark of my brain, but I have a new perspective on them - like - I could do that, but what's the point?

So I guess I feel better already, although the some of the changes are very subtle. Maybe I'm feeling a little more in touch with what my body needs - to be healthy and in balance.

Best of luck to you and it definitely sounds like you are on the right track.

E.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 16:51

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 160/160/135 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress:

I had many symptoms when I started on Sept. 1 - 2 weeks of depression, extreme fatigue, dizzy, light-headed, foggy thinking, couldn't concentrate. When I started the program, the first three weeks were HELL. It was like withdrawal. Then each week I got just a little better. Now most days I am 98% normal. Sometimes I feel slight fatigue, but other than that, most things are fine. This is a phenomenal recovery process to better health. I did gain 10 pounds - and Dr. Schwarzbein says many people have to do this on their way to recovery. I know I will eventually lose it. But right now I am so happy with being healthier. I know the rest will fall into place. So - it's taken me about 6 months to feel almost normal. Good luck! I still carefully watch my activity level. I imagine in about 6 more months, I will feel even more energy. Be patient. You can be congratulated for starting this program before you accumulate more symptoms.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 17:55

BF:
Progress:

I have yet to feel any better, in any way, despite two months without sugar. I have only been following SPII carbohydrate/protein etc guidelines for about a week or so, though. Even though I had cut out sugar I was eating a lot of carbohydrates. What I have noticed about following the Insulin Sensitive/Burned-Out Adrenals plan is that I am hungry about every 2 1/2 - 3 hours and when I am done eating, I am done. No obsessive thoughts about food, no wandering into the kitchen, no desire to binge. It is almost as if something has turned off in my brain. I feel like I am eating like a "normal person." I've never felt normal about food, not since I was about 7 years old.

I don't know if I could handle gaining weight. I'm certainly eating less over the course of the day, though it doesn't feel like it - I feel totally sated. The idea of weight gain just really bothers me. It would just be so frustrating to me to feel so tired and so lousy for so long - and to not like how I look on top of it. I guess there is no sense in worrying about things that haven't happened.

Thanks so much for the replies. It is so great to know there are other people out there who are experiencing similar things.

Kristy
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 15:23

BF:
Progress:

I worry about gaining weight, but it hasn't happened. Besides, when I consider the alternative, you know, going on another diet and continuing to mess up my metabolism, I just feel glad to know I'm getting healthier. Here's what I think: when you get healthy and you're getting adequate nutrition, you stop craving stupid food and overeating and so of course you lose weight.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 06:50

BF:
Progress:

Elizabeth,
You are right, I don't really want the alternative. I was taking a (slow) walk yesterday - about the only form of exercise I can do at this point - and realized that I'm about one week into cutting back on exercise as Dr. S recommends for people with burned-out Adrenals - and it isn't so bad. Nothing horrible has happened in a week without pounding my body to achieve some idea of perfection. I realized if I could handle one week, I could probably handle another week, and that I would just take it slowly. The reality is that I just don't have the physical energy to run my regular 5-6 miles/day. About all I am able to do is some yoga and walking, not fast, not to burn calories, not to get rid of my jiggly thighs. It is a different experience, just walking, looking at the sky, the smell of spring on its way, the sound of birds and not counting miles, minutes.

Thanks for listening. I appreciate hearing about how others are doing in their healing phase/transition, too.

Kristy
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 13:08

BF:
Progress:

Yeah, how nice it sounds to exercise just because it feels good, not as torture inflicted on one's imperfect body... And eating to provide nourishment and enjoyment, not something to fear because it might make you fat... I've actually started to savor the taste of my food, and it's so much more satisfying. It's such a great feeling to relax about all of this.