Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 10:19

Plan: Schwarzbein principle
Stats: 234.5/234.5/145 Female 66
BF:
Progress:
Default Pcos

I just saw an endo today. She thinks I may have PCOS or polycystic ovary syndrome. How would think fit into the SP? (She is ordering more blood work but I won't meet with her again until next month.) What program do I do? There seems to be a connection between PCOS and insulance resistance so I'll use that. My adrenal reading (DHEAS) was high - so I should go for burned out adrenals? Anyone else with PCOS?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 11:49
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

SPII would be great and the IR/BA program sounds like a good place to start. It is a very healthy way to eat. There is also a PCOS thread here.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 18:36
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach/Atkins
Stats: 183/169/145 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default PCOS and ketosis

I also have PCOS and have had success with low-carbing. It's helped my symptoms a lot. In the past I've always followed a strict low carb plan )Aktins has been the easiest for me, but I'm researching others. I would really like to follow one that is more of a moderate carb plan, like Schwarzbien but I'm worried that the carb count will be too high to keep my symptoms away.

In the summary for the Schwarzbien Principle on the Low-Carb Diet Plans Comparison it says "She does not recommend ketosis except in extreme cases (certain hormonal disorders; e.g. polycystic ovary syndrome),"

Does any one know anything about this? I can't find any reference to PCOS in her book.

Do any of you out there following her plan have PCOS?
Should we be lowering our carb count for meals and snacks if we have PCOS, in order to get into ketosis?

Why would ketosis be bad for everyone else, but not for us?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 18:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Be sure to read in the PCOS forum here to see what information and links have been posted.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...daysprune=&f=46
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 20:10
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks. I've searched the PCOS forum for SP, SPI, SPII, and Schwarzbien. It doesn't find any matches. I'll post the question there also.

Last edited by Emly : Thu, Nov-20-03 at 13:10.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 08:12

Plan: Schwarzbein principle
Stats: 234.5/234.5/145 Female 66
BF:
Progress:
Default pcos & schwarzbein

Emily:

How interesting. I've just read SPI & II and found only minor references to PCOS (Also Stein-Leventhal). I'll check again. I've also been checking the PCOS thread but didn't see any mention of PCOS and ketosis.

Why would ketosis be good for PCOS only? With atkins, is ketosis only for the induction period? I must admit I'm uneasy about going into ketosis. Most sources say to avoid it - including SP.

Why are you looking for another plan? Are you tired of or is Atkins too restrictive?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 10:56
Registered Member

BF:

lcpratt,

Thanks for your response. I have many of the same questions. This is where I found the quote that led me to question whether SP thinks ketosis is ok for PCOS: http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/schwarzbein-principle.html

I haven't found anything in her books either, so I'm not sure where that came from.

Atkins has worked great for me. I've found I do better when I'm in ketosis - not necessarily with weight loss, but with cravings. As soon as I start adding carbs - even good whole foods - my cravings come back like crazy. Strict Aktins (under 20 carbs a day) is the only way I seem to be able to successfully stick to low carb and be successful. Other wise I seem to frequently end up on long binges of cheating.

The reason I'm wanting to switch to something else is because I worry that it's not a good balance for my body to be in ketosis, or to be eliminating most all carbs. I'd really like to do something more balanced. I've been getting frequent UTI's since I started Atkins again and my Dr. thinks it's due to the acidic state my body is in from ketosis. She says low carb is ok, but wants me to do something more moderate.

I've been reading SPII and am interested. I just want to do what is best for my body, but I also know I need to be able to stick to whatever it is. Otherwise I won't be doing anything good.

I think I want to start SP but that quote about ketosis has got me wondering if I would need to follow it a little differently.

It's so confusing. Every doctor tells you something different and it's so hard to understand what exactly is wrong with you, let alone how to treat it best.

Last edited by Emly : Thu, Nov-20-03 at 13:11.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 10:58
Registered Member

BF:

Can anyone else not read my posts? When I try to view them I can't see them unless I select them, because my font color shows up as white? Am I doing something wrong?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 10:58
Registered Member

BF:

well, that one worked. Sorry about the ones above, if others can't read them.

Last edited by Emly : Thu, Nov-20-03 at 13:11.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 12:09
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Are you selecting a color for your posts? Try just typing a reply without changing the color. It's a very pale blue color. You can edit your post by selecting the edit button on the bottom of the post and change the color of a previous post.

Last edited by m1whowaits : Thu, Nov-20-03 at 12:10.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 13:12
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 17:54

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%

My sister, Tigersue is pregnant WITHOUT extra help, after a good two years of exercise and low carb eating.
Very exciting stuff!
(she does schwarzbein)
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 10:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Hi, I also have PCOS. Following the insulin resistant plan would be very helpful. Also, exercise! You will feel better, your periods will regulate, your body will change. Be sure to get in the resistance exercises as well as the moderate cardios she suggests.

Piano
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 13:03

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Weighing in with PCOS

I started on TSP almost two years ago because I have/had PCOS and had heard that low-carbing was the answer. And I'm here to say it is. The carb level in the first TSP book is equivalent to the IR/BA level in TSP II and that's pretty much what I did.

Within 6 months, my periods became regular (30 to 32 days) and I had dropped close to 30 pounds. However, then I came to a screeching halt on the weight-loss front. But my periods have remained regular. A friend just told me I've been very patient because finally now after 1 1/2 years of being stalled, it's getting on my nerves, especially because I've been a very, very good low-carber.

So I've been reading and I'm hoping that natural progesterone cream is going to help because I think where I am now hormonally (because I'm still carrying around about 75 pounds of excess fat) is "estrogen dominance." And progesterone cream is supposed to help balance that out. We'll see...
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 21:06

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 104/114/99 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -200%

Hi Deb!

How is your progress going? I've been diagnosed as estrogen dominant and can't wait to start my progesterone. Inability to lose on Schwarzbein is just 1 of my aggravating symptoms. I'm eager to know how it is working for you.

Thanks! Tig