Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-14, 12:22
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Hunger - on going saga

I think I may have figured out more to this hunger thing.

Especially the ravenous stuff that has been plagueing over the last several months.

First I was eating Salad 3 times a day. I had changed from steak tips/green beans to a lunch sald because of salt intake issues.

In doing so I was preparing a whole chicken for the week for a chicken salad in the morning.

Excess acid in the stomach can cause the belly to think it is hungry (might explain why I get hunger from eating eat broccolli, lemon, ect)

So I said okay I will cut back on a salad. And I been makgin egg muffin quiches in the morning.

And I was doing a lot better with the ravenous hunger.

So, I said I am sick of steak I am going to have chicken cesar for lunch. I made a whole chicken. I then proceed to get ravanous hunger by thursday of that week. Oh god was it bad.

So, I read somewhere that chicken feed sometimes is comprised of beef by product and soy based product. Then I read that our chicken in the US has higher amount of estrogen than other countries.

Even though our chickens receive no synethic hormones like the cattle. They still are getting food that result in higher estrogen output for them.

I eat chicken mainly at night as well.

So I think between excess stomach acid and hormones in the meat the ravenous hunger would ramp up when my hormones surged for TOM.

So this next cycle I am back to eating what I was. As well as trying to cut out more diary(doesn't leave much left for me to eat) and see how I am...

Keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 23:29

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Lovinita!

Wow! Look at your AWESOME progress!!! You have lost 80% of your goal! That is super impressive!

I am not familiar with your program (Dr.B), and I am totally new to this WOL and the boards, but I have just recently realized that FAT is so absolutely the key for me. I mean, I am having what I would consider a LOT of fat...I use the normal amount that say, you would use if you were following a classic French Cooking recipe...then I double or triple it! I don't just give myself permission to eat fat (organic butter, olive oil and coconut oil are my three go-to sources, oh! and full fat cream in my coffee) but I am actually making myself eat more than I would ever think previously. Instead of a "drizzle" of olive oil on my little Greek salad this aft, I really poured it on.

What I am finding is that my meals are getting smaller and smaller. I am able to think clearly about what I AM going to consume, because, it won't be my typical huge portions, it'll be small , so better make it count! My HUNGER is basically non-existant much of the day. It's really quite fascinating! I mean, I know, they say "fat satiates hunger" - but it's hard to believe...Does it ever. (I think the hard part to believe is not so much that fat will take away the hungry, but that eating it, a lot of it, won't actually make the situation worse. It's a funny thing to wrap your head around... "EAT FAT, it won't make you fat!" I think I am still struggling to FULLY believe it.. to internalize it. It's such a foreign concept.

SO, even though I am no expert, if your plan allows, I would definitely increase your fat intake enough so that the "crazy hunger" goes away. Crazy hunger is so awful. I only realize now that I was seriously a SLAVE to it, no exaggeration. It's not a good feeling.

I wish you all the very best,
Julie
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 00:23

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 288/256/200 Female 176cm
BF:
Progress: 36%

I have also found out that 50gr to 75gr of protein for breakfast within 30min of waking helps a lot with hunger too... thanks to Dr Kruse and his leptin Rx, at least it works for me.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-14, 09:39

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Lovinita, Have you ever had your insulin levels checked? Are they still high even though you are still eating LC? They could increase hunger.

I don't know if you've seen this site yet since you've not been around as much lately. http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/blog/

Dr Jason Fung is a Canadian nephrologist whose take on diabetes is that it is more a function of insulin resistance than high blood sugar (he makes a good distinction). Look through the site - He has a series of lectures and blogposts on Obesity and on Diabetes (warning, it could take you 20+ hours to get through all his videos and blogposts. It's worth the time). He talks about how after months of calorie restriction the body ramps up ghrelin in an attempt to get you to eat (so you don't starve to death). And he offers a solution. I thought of you and your hunger issues as I was reading it (I have hunger issues as well).

JEY first brought him to my attention and has started a thread here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...threadid=461563

Hope this might help you.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-14, 12:13

Plan: No carb
Stats: 281.6/231.8/180 Female 5'5"
BF:someday
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Have you ever had your insulin levels checked? Are they still high even though you are still eating LC? They could increase hunger.

I don't know if you've seen this site yet since you've not been around as much lately. http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/blog/

Hope this might help you.

Might help me. Thanks
Been low carb for decades. Hunger issues are toned down but not eliminated or what I would call normal.
Hope the info leads me in the right directions.
Thanks again.