Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-10, 11:42
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%
Default Krys' Chicken Soup

I LOVE chicken soup, but was afraid I wouldn't be able to make it low carb enough to enjoy..but I made some this past weekend, and man oh man was it good!!

Ingredients:
1 Roasted Chicken (around 3.5lbs either from the store, or you can roast your own)
2.5 small carrots cut into rounds
3 ribs celery chopped
1 smal white or yellow onion chopped
1 package (10 oz) frozen spinach (I used the whole leaf, not chopped) thawed
64 oz stock

Remove skin (and eat it!!!) and shred your chicken, and set aside. I used almost the entire thing, but ate a little (ok..more than a little) of the dark meat as I was shredding

Add stock, carrots, celery, and onion to the pot and bring up to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, lower heat down to a simmer.

Once the veggies have softened a bit (mainly the carrots) add in your spinach and chicken. (chopped spinach MAY work better. The lef was a little large and tended to clump together, so I really had to work at mixing it up)Reduce heat to low, and let it cook for as long as you like. Salt and pepper to taste.

Quick and tasty!

This makes 6 bowls that are enough for a meal. HUGE bowls. That's what I'm basing the nutritional data on More than likely, it's more like 8 normal bowls.

Carbs: 6.7
Fiber: 2.1
Net Carbs: 4.6
Protein: 33.6g
Fat: 16.1g
Calories: 305

Macros: 9% carb, 44% protein, 47% fat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 13:35

Plan: Keto <38 carbs daily
Stats: 316/287.2/132 Female 64
BF:Isn't It Obvious?!
Progress: 16%

This sounds delicious and I was looking for a good chicken vegetable soup recipe. I'm going to make this tonight! Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 15:17

Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

Just as a side.... I took a roasted chicken, cut it up and tossed it into a pot of water with the veggies mentioned and made my own stock out of the already roasted chicken... I then removed the chicken, shredded the meat ( it did not get too mushy or anything) and had the BEST soup I've ever tasted... I think starting with the roasted chicken added so much more flavor!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 15:32
Induction ≠ Atkins

Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Nice! I was in a rush the day I made mine, so I didn't make stock...but of course, it's always a nice option...epecially if you already have some made.

I've been meaning to make this again - I was just talking about it the other day. It's SO yummy!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 20:49

Plan: Keto <38 carbs daily
Stats: 316/287.2/132 Female 64
BF:Isn't It Obvious?!
Progress: 16%

We ended up using every vegetable we had! lol Celery, brussel sprouts, green beans, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, onion, carrots. It certainly is delicious and very filling.

For our chicken I used up leftover chicken that had been cooked on the grill. So it gave the whole soup a wonderful smoky taste. Yum.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 21:41

Stats: 200/186.5/150 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 27%

I have a pot in the freezer with the left over of a roasted chicken. I put it there till I could make a good low carb chicken soup. Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to try it.