Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 170/166.4/135 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Help! Getting discouraged with not losing...

I started low carb back on September 28th and I was excited to lose 4 lbs the first 2 weeks. However, since then I haven't lost anything - nada, nothing, zip!

I haven't changed my eating habits much at all except for adding back a few cocktails throughout the week (I didn't have any alcohol at all the first 2 weeks). I REALLY would rather not give that up since it is a something I don't plan on giving up for the rest of my life. I stick to spirits (vodka, gin, bourbon) with diet soda or Crystal Light which are very low carb. Also, I'm thinking that shouldn't be the problem since I was successful with low carb a couple years ago without giving up alcohol.

I would love some advice. Here is a general day of eating for me:

B: Flax seed muffin w/1 T. cream cheese, 1 t. sugar free jelly
S: I'm usually not hungy so I skip this most days, is that bad?
L: Usually leftovers from dinner the day before consisting of protein (chicken breast, pork chop, etc.), 1 c. veggies & 1 oz. cheese or fat of some sort.
(Today was chicken breast topped with 1/2 c. spinach, 1 strip bacon, 1 T. blue cheese, & 1/2 c. aspargus)
S: Either 1 green pepper w/2 T. cream cheese or 2 stalks celery w/ranch dressing
D: Same as lunch - protein, veggies & some fat. Today will be peanut chicken w/stir fry veggies.

I don't drink a lot of water. I'll have 2 cups of coffee (with heavy cream) in the morning and then 2 large glasses of Crystal Light at work. In the evenings I might have 1 cup of green tea after dinner. I really don't like drinking plain water. Could this be a reason I'm not showing a loss? I do seem to be dehydrated a lot in the mornings according to my scale (it measures body water %).

After dinner I might have a piece of cheese if I'm hungry or some pork rinds w/french onion dip but I don't do a lot of snacking.

I would love some advice/comments/suggestions.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 14:29
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power, Atkins
Stats: 282/248/220 Male 6'4"
BF:30%/26%/10%
Progress: 55%

You didn't mention exercise. Are you getting any? If you're not losing it may be time to crank up your activity level. It'll help rev up your metabolism.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 14:39
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL W
You didn't mention exercise. Are you getting any? If you're not losing it may be time to crank up your activity level. It'll help rev up your metabolism.

I don't get a lot of exercise. I work at a desk during the day and evenings are spent doing housework, making dinner & helping the kids with homework. I walk the dog a couple times a week and go up & down stairs constantly at home but that's about it. It's something I'd like to work at if I can schedule the time.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 14:44
Registered Member

Stats: 475/239/150 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 73%

I am the queen of water haters and I have to make myself drink my water but it really makes all the difference in the world. I know it sounds awful to have to drink something you don't really like but experiment with different brands and see which one really works for you on your palate. I can drink Zephyrhills Spring water, chilled, with great success but give me a different brand and I cannot get it down and forget tap water - YUK. To each their own as to what tastes good - but do try to find it and then commit to having 8 to 10 - 8oz cups a day paced through out the day so your body no longer is dehydrated. Hope this helps!
All my best,
Linda
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power, Atkins
Stats: 282/248/220 Male 6'4"
BF:30%/26%/10%
Progress: 55%

I work 50hr + weeks, commute to work, and have 2 kids (5 and 2). I find having equipment at home works best for me. I have an ancient Nordic track ski machine and I'm starting a collection of weights in the basement. I started off with a couple of spin lock dumbells and then a bar and a cheap weight bench. Every month I add a few plates. I have amassed about 300lbs and now have enough to challenge me.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-06, 17:00
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the advice, Linda. I'm going to try drinking more water the next couple days and see if that makes a difference. Once I get used to it, I probably won't have such a hard time with it. I just got in the habit of mixing in Crystal Light and now plain water just tastes icky. I read about some people throwing a herbal tea bag in their ice water. That is probably something I'll try to get me started.

AL W - I know what your saying about having equipment at home. If I have to go to the gym you can probably forget about me exercising. I used to have an eliptical machine & I loved it but when it broke, I never replaced it. We also moved since then and now I don't really have a good place for anything big.
I said I would just walk more but that hasn't really happened. I need to get back in the groove!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-06, 14:42

Plan: Low Carb Style
Stats: 155/130/122 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 76%

Just a note.... for every cup of coffee you drink you should replace it with a glass of water. So if you have two cups of coffee and 2 glasses of water- you shouldnt even count those waters into your daily water intake. You kn ow?
Plain water is best but whether it is mixed with Crystal light or not- I dont think it matters. It IS important that you keep rehydrating your body. Sometimes we trick ourselves into believing we are hungry instead of thirsty.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-06, 14:32
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, Dylan for the tip about water. I've really been forcing myself to drink more the last few days - I'm practically floating! I hope I see a difference soon because this weekend was very difficult for me. It's hard not to give in to temptation when you're not seeing results.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-06, 14:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins but tweaking
Stats: 289/232/132 Female 170cm
BF:Unknown/45%/??
Progress: 36%

Because you don't have a huge amount to lose the exercise is going to become really important. Can you work in a walk every day - even if it is just 15 minutes? I know it is hard with a job and family to cope with. Or perhaps an exercise bike or treadmill at home, if you can get one?

Many people use workout videos of walking that you do at home infront of the TV - can't think of any names ATM but I'm sure someone esle will post some, or check the exercise forums.

I'm lucky, I live in a temperate climate and can walk in beautiful surroundings each day. Makes it easier, but I still call it one of my chores!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 07:37

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

Quote:
I haven't changed my eating habits much at all except for adding back a few cocktails throughout the week
There ya go. Alcohol will take precedence over fat burning. If you were doing good until you added back the alcohol, then try dropping it again. If you really must have it (and I totally understand, I like my dry red wine) try keeping close track. For instance add back ONE cocktail a week and see how that flies..

ETA: If it's a sweet cocktail, ie Pina Colada, it's going to need to be an occassional treat as long as you want to lose weight.. Too much sugar.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 08:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/205/189 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I had the same situation for 2 months. My weight loss was stalled even though I was getting 30 mins of exercise. Well, I have seen results finally. I had to up my water intake (drink half of ur body weight in oz) also I had to increase my exercise to 60mins. The nutritionist told me that 30mins of exercise allows us to maintain wt. Then I had to take a honest look at my diet. I had to eliminate the south beach diet cereal bars and quaker chocolate rice cakes. Increase protein and eat more. B/C I no longer had an appetite I was not consumming enough calories. So since the changes I feel the difference and I have lost 4lbs since monday and finally back in deep ketosis. Let the keto sticks lead u with what u can and cant have. Its the best guide. Hope this helps. I do was discouraged and wanted to give up. This site is very helpful. Nice folks. Good Luck on ur journey. Let us know if any progress