Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-15, 10:19

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Flackers

I bought a box of Flackers, then read here somewhere an opinion that they were awful (if I could find that thread again I'd post there). I was afraid I'd bought some expensive chicken treats.

But when we had them, found out they were very good. There was a whiff of the fish smell when I opened the box (that smell & taste is why I don't make my own flax crackers - couldn't get rid of the fishy taste), but the taste & texture were excellent! With a carb count of 8g for 6 crackers (fiber is 7g if you want to subtract for net carbs), they are an OK treat for me - tho the price will make it just an occasional treat.

The only Flackers my store had was the rosemary-favored kind - that might be what made it taste so good.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-15, 12:42

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I had tried a similar flacker, but not in a number of years (I moved away from the store that carried them).

Just found this brand today (went for rosemary flavor, too) and really liked them- yes they are a little bland, but with the baba gnouish and cheddar i had them with, they were great!

#3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-15, 14:26

BF:

I like them - I enjoy crunchy things - but I did find out that Flackers have a downside for me. They have so much fiber that a serving - 6 crackers - gave me a problem. I'm going to stick with just 2 crackers for now.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-03-15, 09:41

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I like them - I enjoy crunchy things - but I did find out that Flackers have a downside for me. They have so much fiber that a serving - 6 crackers - gave me a problem. I'm going to stick with just 2 crackers for now.

i find flax to be a rough food for my stomach to process as well- a small amount is fine, but too much sits inside me like a brick absorbing every bit of water for a few days, then BAM!
good motivation not to over indulge!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-03-15, 10:01
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
i find flax to be a rough food for my stomach to process as well- a small amount is fine, but too much sits inside me like a brick absorbing every bit of water for a few days, then BAM!
good motivation not to over indulge!

I'm finding that I am the same way. I had rarely used flax until a month or so ago when I started having a daily flax muffin with chia seeds. I wanted to get my fiber up to see if that will bring down my LDL & TC on my next cholesterol test. With a little recipe tweaking, I found a way to make a nice, moist flax muffin that tastes pretty good. Anyway -- I too, find that my system does not like this type of fiber as well as it did other fiber from LC veggies. While I am fairly 'regular' from eating it, it seems to move through my system like eating gravel. After my next cholesterol test, I will likely back off on the flax and try getting my fiber from other LC sources.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Sep-03-15 at 10:07.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 06:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

If they smell or taste fishy, the omega 3 fats in them have gone rancid. Yuck! That happened to me with u3 eggs one time. The eggs were fine, but I forgot about them on the stove when hard-cooking them, and when I cooled and broke them open, they were so fishy I just about gagged! At least I knew they were real u3 eggs and not a rip-off.

I've never noticed any fishy taste when I make my own flax crackers - probably because I buy the seeds whole and whizz them in my coffee grinder.

I get the same gut issues with flax, but it's very helpful to counteract the constipation I get from my iron pills.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 07:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
If they smell or taste fishy, the omega 3 fats in them have gone rancid.

Thanks for the explanation! I'll try making crackers again with the brand that is refrigerated instead of on the shelf. Tho I still have my coffee grinder - I could grind my own - if I ever get around to it.