Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-14, 02:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144.6/141.4/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Julian's Breads - My opinion

I read about the Julian's brand Paleo breads on this message board. Today I went to Whole Foods and got a couple of loaves.

Tonight I tried the "regular" one -- the no-carb bread. I toasted it. And then toasted it again. It never actually toasted, just seemed a bit drier and steamy after two sessions in the toaster oven. I smothered it in butter and sprinkled on some Penzy's Apple Pie Spice. (My other choice was butter and garlic powder).

First impression: the texture is like a thick piece of cardboard. Have plenty of water handy to drink, because it's very dry. It sorta tasted the way I think cardboard would taste. You really need to put something on it to make it palatable. Compared to some of the gluten free breads (such as Udi's) it's pretty bad. (I was eating gluten-free a few years ago).

Anyway, I got used to it after a few bites and did finish the entire piece of bread. I don't think I would ever attempt to make a sandwich from it. However, I think it might be useful in the following sort of situations:

* As a device to mop up olive oil or sauces

* As a device to put something on top of: nut butter or various spreads, pate, etc.

* Perhaps could be used to make low-carb breadcrumbs or seasoned croutons.

* Perhaps could be used in meatballs, meatloaf, or seafood cakes when you don't want to use only meat.

* Perhaps could be used to make low-carb French Toast or Bread Pudding.

* Perhaps could be totally disintegrated into hot cream/half&half, butter, and spices to make a sort of low carb hot cereal that you could have with bits of nuts. Maybe add some raw flax seeds for additional nutrition and splenda/stevia/whatever for a bit of sweetness.

I also have a loaf of the coconut flour bread. I will try that soon and write my thoughts in this thread. I won't try the almond flour bread. My kids are allergic to nuts so I can't contaminate the toaster.

So, in conclusion -- meh. But I'll mess around with it here and there and see if I can make it more palatable. Even though it's not so great, I'm still glad that they make it.

So far, my "carb substitute thing" of choice is Mission Carb Control tortillas. Those make a decent stand-in for a little homemade personal pizza or wrap.

Last edited by Mom53inCA : Wed, Feb-12-14 at 22:53.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-14, 12:56

Plan: don't know!
Stats: 150/150/115
BF:
Progress: 0%

Is it possible that you meant Julian's? I've not seen a Justin's Paleo bread, but would be interested!
I did purchase the Cinnamon paleo and Coconut breads from Julian. Couldn't really stomach the Cinnamon (though I saturated it in Torani syrup and made a sort of 'pudding' out of it). I do like the coconut, but only toasted. But that's Julian, so I'm not sure we're reviewing the same product!
ThinSlim makes some good breads (in my opinion), you can go to their website or order through Netrition, if you're interested.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-14, 22:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144.6/141.4/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

You're right, I meant Julian's, not Justin's. I change it!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-14, 00:37

BF:

Kind of sad there's not something new to try!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-14, 08:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You might have better luck creating your own breads. Look in the cooking forums.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-14, 05:22

Plan: 2 daily LC meals mostly
Stats: 198/000/149 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 404%

How about low carb rye bread? I ordered 3 loaves from The Great Carb Company and it is more than palatable! It is very tasty! The only thing that bothers me is it is made with almond flour that I thought was great. But on other websites I have read that almond flour is unhealthy! I hope it isn't true because this bread is almost as good as regular rye bread- but with 1 carb per slice! It is soft and delicious. Does anyone know anything about almond flour?

SeaLady
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-14, 11:17

BF:

<edited> Sorry, realized I'd already responded preaching how much I love the Thinslim breads. But thanks for the reminder that I need to put the rye on my next order list!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-14, 07:12

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLady
The only thing that bothers me is it is made with almond flour that I thought was great. But on other websites I have read that almond flour is unhealthy!

Can you link to those claims? I use ground almonds a lot in my baking/cooking so am interested in reading them
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-14, 15:03

Plan: 2 daily LC meals mostly
Stats: 198/000/149 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 404%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Can you link to those claims? I use ground almonds a lot in my baking/cooking so am interested in reading them

I just googled "almond flour" and different links came up. Some were for recipes and others were articles about how almond flour was not that great health-wise.

If I look to find a specific link I'll send.

I'm hoping that almond flour is healthy because I sure love the rye breads and rolls that are low carb!

SeaLady