Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-11, 19:35
Registered Member

Plan: any and all
Stats: 115/120/115 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:

Wow it takes three yrs to get vit D levels at optimum? I take 4-5 IU's a day and I way approx 120 lbs. I had my vit D levels last checked three yrs ago and I was told they were low but I don't know what the number was. I started supplementing higher after the last test. Doc said to take 800 a day and my chiro told me to take 4-6 a day. I listened to him (chiro) instead of her (PCP).
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 03:33
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr1
Wow it takes three yrs to get vit D levels at optimum? .
I think maybe you have misinterpreted what Dr Davis was suggesting.
Getting up to 60ng/ml is generally fairly speedy if you use 10,000iu/daily BUT your levels may tend to plateau once you get around that level. If you then settle down and continue to take that same amount and your levels doesn't go up or down but sticks around that 60~70ng/ml range you may think you've got it sussed and don't need further tests.
What Dr D finds is that around the 3yr mark SOME of his patients find that their reserves are full up and rather than keep piling Vitamin D3 into store the cells don't accept any more and circulating plasma levels start rising above 100ng/ml.
As this point you can assume reserves are full and you can safely reduce daily intake so you return to around 60ng/ml.
It is only around 200ng/ml that toxic effects of D3 have been recorded so at just above half that amount there is absolutely no need to panic. It's just that there is no known benefit to having levels higher than 100ng/ml at the moment. (Although there is some reason to believe that above 100ng/ml vitamin D may have a DIRECT effect on killing cancer cells) There is also some reason to believe that keeping 25(OH)D both HIGH and STABLE is safer than having swings in status. When they've used ANNUAL vitamin D megadose supplementing it was counterproductive for some, and in Finland there have been suggestions that prostate cancer people who had the greatest range of 25(OH)D over the year had worse outcomes than prostate cancer guys who had even 25(OH)D levels through the year.

Vitamin D3 (like Melatonin) is an anti oxidant and one of the most important things anti oxidants do is to protect your mitochondria from oxidation. Dysfunctional mitochondria are the source of trouble in most chronic conditions so protecting them is the best way of staying healthy and delaying/slowing the ageing process. While of course it is a good thing to have sufficient circulating vitamin D3 to deal with problems it is is even more important to have anti oxidant protection built into every cell in your body.

This is why IMO it is better to raise status to around the 60ng/ml level where we know we can measure vitamin D3 in tissue rather than stick around the 40ng/ml mark where there is no measurable stored reserves of D3.
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 16:30

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Got a question, I finally finished the Chelated magnesium I bought in 09.
Today I went on a hunt, on foot, and found a Pharmancy here in Jacksonville. I found a Brand called "NOW" and its Magnesium Citrate, soft gels with Malate & Glycinate too.
3 soft gels have 400 mg, is this enough, I was taking 500 of the Chelated Oxide Mag.

I hope its ok, I don't have a bank account anymore and can't buy online. I have googled and tried to find a store here with and no luck. The lady at the Pharmacy look in her computer for the other buyers they use and none have the Chelated.

Is the soft gels better? just wondering?
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 00:34

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hismouse
Got a question, I finally finished the Chelated magnesium I bought in 09.
Today I went on a hunt, on foot, and found a Pharmancy here in Jacksonville. I found a Brand called "NOW" and its Magnesium Citrate, soft gels with Malate & Glycinate too.
3 soft gels have 400 mg, is this enough, I was taking 500 of the Chelated Oxide Mag.

I hope its ok, I don't have a bank account anymore and can't buy online. I have googled and tried to find a store here with and no luck. The lady at the Pharmacy look in her computer for the other buyers they use and none have the Chelated.

Is the soft gels better? just wondering?

Sounds good to me! I would start at this dosage, at any rate, and if you notice any deficiency symptoms (cramping in the legs at night is a sure sign), then ramp it up, say to 600mg over the course of the day.

Take care,

amanda
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 17:33

What time of day is best to tke Mag.. I have been taking it at night. But I want my BF to start taking it, he has so many signs of deficiencys, Is it ok to take at dinner time.

He has insomnia so bad. I am hoping this helps.
Would it be good to for him to take D3 and how much.

1- he smokes
2- he eats as healthy as me, but eats dark chocolate daily.
3- is spine is ravegged with a birth defect, the lower never fused, and then he has rods supporting his middle spine, his neck is fused.
Would D3 help save the (anything) and help the pain he has?

I also was wondering, would MY B's vitamins be good for him to.

Thanks for the help
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 02:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hismouse
What time of day is best to tke Mag.
With food in smaller amounts. or 7 times daily in the water you drink
[PDF] Recipe for Magnesium/Bicarbonate Water Magnesium Hydroxide is Milk of MAGNESIA and you should look for stuff with no flavourings or additives (chloroform)

Quote:
I have been taking it at night. But I want my BF to start taking it, he has so many signs of deficiencys, Is it ok to take at dinner time.
100mg with each meal would be better than 300mg at one meal.

Quote:
He has insomnia so bad. I am hoping this helps.
Would it be good to for him to take D3 and how much.
Most people are both vitamin D3 and magnesium deficient it's sensible to supplement with both. 5000iu/daily D3 is a good starting point but some people will find up to 10,000iu produces better results faster. No need to spread the dose of vitamin D through the day once a day is fine if you forget or are going away from home there's absolutely no harm in taking a weeks daily intake in one go.
But DON'T DO THAT with the magnesium or you'll waste it down the loo a few hours later.

Quote:
1- he smokes
I don't have to lecture you or him. I'm sure he knows.
Quote:
2- he eats as healthy as me, but eats dark chocolate daily.
If it's the 75% COCO type that's probably doing no harm may even be helping, depending on amount and calorie content. I like a couple of squares of dark chocolate 81% from time to time.

Quote:
3- is spine is ravegged with a birth defect, the lower never fused, and then he has rods supporting his middle spine, his neck is fused.
Would D3 help save the (anything) and help the pain he has?
If he's in a lot of pain all the time then maybe increasing the vitamin D to 10,000iu/daily would see a greater improvement faster.
topping up your vitamin d tank dr Davis

Quote:
I also was wondering, would MY B's vitamins be good for him to.

Thanks for the help
I've not researched Bvits for chronic pain so can't comment.
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 18:22

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%
Default Milk of Magnesia

Hutchinson, where do you get the unflavoured MoM? I can only find the peppermint version, though it doesn't seem to have too much of a taste when the magnesium water is diluted.
I really like this magnesium water and find it easy to take and sip throughout the day without the 'effects'. I also like my homemade magnesium oil spray - made with nigari flakes. Good in the bath, too
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-11, 02:53
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greannmhar
Hutchinson, where do you get the unflavoured MoM? I can only find the peppermint version, though it doesn't seem to have too much of a taste when the magnesium water is diluted.
I really like this magnesium water and find it easy to take and sip throughout the day without the 'effects'. I also like my homemade magnesium oil spray - made with nigari flakes. Good in the bath, too

This is the stuff I use It was cheaper than this online price more like £3.60ish
but it's tricky finding it.It's made by PHARMASOL
and marketed by
Ayrton Saunders
You'll not believe this but I emailed the makers and asked them where I could buy it and they couldn't tell me.
Nor would they supply it direct to me.
I used to get it from the CO-OP chemists locally but they now have some other stuff with chloroform in it and swear blind they never supplied the plain form. I was buying it at 2 bottles a time so it's a while between orders and in the meantime their wholesalers have swapped suppliers so I'm having to track it down again.

It contains 275mg magnesium oxide per 5ml
so 27.5g magnesium oxide powder in 500ml water will probably be the same
I've ordered some to give it a try and I'll let you know how I get on.
It will certainly work out cheaper and with less hassle.
Code ~~~~~~ saves $5 for IHERB new users.
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-11, 18:41

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Thanks for that, Hutchinson - I will search my local chemists for the mixture. If I'm not successful, I might try the oxide powder instead. I'll be interested to hear how you get on.
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 04:35

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've been using the MoM/seltzer water for several months now, sipping it throughout the day. I really enjoy it.

(MoM also works well as an underarm deodorant, and for bug bites, I've found. )
  #86   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 21:19

Is it ok for me to continue to take the D3 50,000 weekly since Oregon has lagged this spring with more rain days than sun?

I see my Dr on Monday and will ask if they will do a D test. I go to a community health clinic. So I don't know if they will check.

Is it safe to take that amount all yr long. I got up to 57 and it stuck and that was in the summer in San Diego, and lots of beach days..

Oregon is cold and damp and cloudy for long months,,,
  #87   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 21:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

They've given people 10,000 iu of D3 for years and years without any issues.
  #88   ^
Old Sun, May-08-11, 11:44
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I don't see an issue with it. I wouldn't even be slightly concerned until the reading getgs over 120.
  #89   ^
Old Sun, May-08-11, 13:27

Plan: OWL
Stats: 280/249/175 Female 73.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

Look at it this way: considering you make 1000 units of vitamin D per minute when the sun is at certain angles, 50,000 is less than an hour's worth. 10,000 is just ten minutes worth. I figure it is safe to stay out in the sun for more than an hour per day.
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-11, 17:28
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

Received an interesting email from Biotech:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...whqX6CieQ%3D%3D

Glad they're trying to help spread the word.

10% off, good I need a new bottle.