Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 10:42

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Anyone tried Ruth's Hemp Protein Powder?

I am looking for a way to get more protein (since I don't like eating much meat) and have been searching for alternatives without adding a lot of food, carbs or calories - and I found this today.

I wonder how it would taste mixed in water? Probably nasty. I can't do rice, dairy or nut milks.

I already feel full with what I am eating, I don't want to have to choke down too much more. But apparently my protein level is only 46g - obviously too low.

"Ruth's Hemp Protein is raw - not chemically processed like most soy and whey powders. It's 50% protein, derived from certified organic hemp. The rest is mostly fiber and essential fatty acids."

Calories 110g, Total Fat 2.8g, Total Carbohydrate 7g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugar 2g, Protein 16g.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 10:50

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%

I have never tried that brand, but have tried a few others and "gave up" because they were "yuckie" to me....whatever you try, make sure you get the smallest jar to see if you enjoy it. Most stores (actual and online) will exchange with another product.....just keep trying until you find one to your liking.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 10:59

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

Coconut is classified as a fruit, not as a tree nut.
Do you have the same problems with coconut as you do with nuts? (So is coconut milk an option?)
Do you have any allergy issues with flavoring the shake with vanilla/banana/other extracts?

Your allergies/sensitivities are notably tricky, so sorry if my suggestions are seemingly (and probably frustratingly) off base.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 11:20

BF:

I thought of coconut milk after I posted - yes, thank goodness I am OK with coconut! I imagine I could add some flavouring, but maybe just using unsweetened Coconut Dream will be good enough. It's worth trying!

Too bad it doesn't offer any protein though. That would have been a bonus! ;-)

Calories 60, Total Fat 5g, Total Carb. 1g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars <1g, Protein 0g

So adding them together would give me:
Calories 170g, Total Fat 7.8g, Total Carb 8g, Dietary Fiber 3g, (Net carbs 5g) Sugar 2g, Protein 16g.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 11:33

*WHEW!*
Sounds like a plan!
Don't forget extracts/spices (a little goes a long way) as/if you can tolerate them. I even put a shake of cinnamon in my vanilla to occasionally get a different flavor. I have found lemon and orange extracts to be useful as well.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 11:44

BF:

Or maybe the unsweetened Silk Soy beverage - it has protein (but more carbs too). I have always avoided soy, as I thought it bothered me, but I have been doing OK with the Soy Nut Butter lately. So maybe I could try both...

Calories 80, Total Fat 4g, Total Carb. 4g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g, Protein 7g

So adding the Hemp powder to soy would give me:
Calories 190g, Total Fat 6.8g, Total Carb 12g, Dietary Fiber 4g, (Net carbs 8g) Sugar 3g, Protein 23g.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 11:47

Well, on the bright side, you don't have just one plan.
You now have a Plan A and a Plan B as a fallback if one doesn't work or you have to change up for some reason.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 14:41

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatt
Or maybe the unsweetened Silk Soy beverage - it has protein (but more carbs too). I have always avoided soy, as I thought it bothered me, but I have been doing OK with the Soy Nut Butter lately. So maybe I could try both...

Calories 80, Total Fat 4g, Total Carb. 4g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g, Protein 7g

So adding the Hemp powder to soy would give me:
Calories 190g, Total Fat 6.8g, Total Carb 12g, Dietary Fiber 4g, (Net carbs 8g) Sugar 3g, Protein 23g.
There is a soy milk called Soy Slender that has 4 carbs, 3 of which are fiber. I saw it at the health food store and you can get it through Netrition.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 14:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
There is a soy milk called Soy Slender that has 4 carbs, 3 of which are fiber. I saw it at the health food store and you can get it through Netrition.

Thanks! I went to check if it was available in Canada, and it is. Unfortunately it is sweetened with Splenda and I can't handle any artificial sweeteners.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 21:23

BF:

Ok this wasn't Ruth's Hemp Protein Powder, but I found some hemp protein power in bulk at the local bulk food store, so bought a small bit to try. Nasty stuff!! I choked it down, but it didn't even mix well, so when I was finished most of the powder was still in the glass.

I guess I am not willing to buy a whole container to find out it tastes just as bad. Oh well...
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-14, 06:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I love my hemp oil -- and I've found a HUGE variation in brands when it comes to taste. Solgar's stuff is very good, for instance.

Do meat broths give you the same trouble?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-14, 08:17

BF:

I like Hemp Hearts, so I thought I would like the powder. And the Ruth's might be OK, but too expensive to buy a whole container just to try it.

I do have 2 cups of chicken broth each day, but that doesn't have a lot of protein?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-14, 09:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've hated every vegetable protein powder I've ever tried. Pea protein, hemp protein... ugh, ugh, ugh!

Quote:
I do have 2 cups of chicken broth each day, but that doesn't have a lot of protein?

Well, look it up and you'll see, but no. Broth has very little protein. Lots of other stuff.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-14, 10:55

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatt

Wondering what the issue might be... chicken can be simmered and then pureed to make a bisque-like soup without the texture issues some people have with meat.

And then you would get the protein.