Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 08:05

Plan: Lean For Life
Stats: 118/114.2/105
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Book 1 and Book 2?

What is the difference between the two? I went and bought the cookbook and then bought book one because I didn't think that the cookbook applied to book2.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 08:28

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

I bought SPI and the cookbook because I didn't know SPII existed.

From what I understand, book II, which I am about to go buy, better addresses the different conditions of burned out adrenals, specific insulin problems (sensitive or resistant), etc. and that is really important because being sensitive or resistant to insulin are opposite and require different fixes.

Dig?

Have a good one!
Jinx

Also, apparently, the cookbook applies more to some conditions than others - some folks can't tolerate a big amount of protein in a meal, or carb, or saturated fat, etc. SPII, again APPARENTLY tells you which conditions go with which diet modifications...we'll see!

Last edited by MsJinx : Tue, Jun-03-03 at 08:30.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 22:05

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%

Yes, the second book addresses a lot more issues. It describes what the different hormones (insulin, adrenaline and cortisol) too in simple terms. The book overall is much more complicated than the first one. It makes different recommendations for each of the four types (depending on whether you are insulin sensitive or resistant and have healthy adrenals or burnt-out adrenals). It also tells what you can expect on the diet based on which category you fit.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 09:03

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

I'm readig SPII now and one of the MOST important aspects, to my mind, is that it tells you exactly how to self-medicate when tapering off sugar, caffeine, etc. Cold turkey just can't work for a lot of people (me! me!).

Tells you also what each of the recommended supplements addresses. I can't imagine taking them all, but the provided info allows you to say, get all supplements that allow you to properly address your INSANE sugar addiction (or alcohol addiciton, or smoking, etc.) without having to guess.

The first book is a great introduction, and for people who get overwhelmed by too much info, I think it's a wonderful and fairly simple start. I do feel overwhelmed with all of the info, but I also felt like there were too many missing links in the first one. You can order SPII for cheap off half.com (as low as $11.95, that includes shipping). I got mine at Borders for $14.95, plus tax of course.

Jinx
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:33

Okay, now *I* have a question about book 1. I checked it out from the library a month or so ago and don't remember specifics. I own the second one though. Anyway, what was the specific carb recommendation in the first book? What program does it most closely match in the second one? I was thinking the carbs were 20 or so per meal.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 17:09
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Zandria:

Dr. S. bases SPI more on body composition and activity level than on being Insulin Resistant or having burned out adrenals so they are almost incomparable.

I don't really see any similarities except that carbs increase as body composition normalizes. It's like maybe it goes through the IR/BOAG, then to IR/HA, then to IS/BOAG then to IS/HA as body composition normalizes. But that's even taking leaps.

Here's the chart for someone somewhat active, but there are 3 other categories I've missed, but you should get the general idea:

Overweight = 15 gram meals, 7.5 - 15 gram snacks
Slightly overweight = 15-30 meals, 0-15 snacks
Normal w/ Insulin Meter = 30 meals, 1-7.5 snacks
Normal body composition = 30-45 meals, 0-7.5 snacks
Underweight = 30-45 meals, 0-15 snacks

Here's another post that might help with the rest of the chart:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...216#post1015216

HTH,
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Wed, Jun-11-03 at 17:10.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 17:34

Oh yeah, I remember you posting that. I guess I should have hunted for it first. *heh* That's complicated. It is weird that she redid the criteria for the second book. You're right--they don't really seem comparable. Who knows where the line is drawn for overweight vs slightly overweight...or if that slight difference in carbs really matters! (Hmm, maybe that is why she developed the other method...)
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 08:21

Plan: My own
Stats: 226/204/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress:

If you want to check out book 1 more thoroughly, Google books has it online at http://books.google.com/books?id=43...result&resnum=4

Nancy
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 14:27

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default SPII is great - what about the cookbooks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJinx
I bought SPI and the cookbook because I didn't know SPII existed.

From what I understand, book II, which I am about to go buy, better addresses the different conditions of burned out adrenals, specific insulin problems (sensitive or resistant), etc. and that is really important because being sensitive or resistant to insulin are opposite and require different fixes.

Did you buy it? I am re-reading it. When I first got it, I devoured it in a day and a half. I am now - a week later - reading it again with a pencil and underlining all the bits I want to remember.

I don't agree with everything she says, but I am certainly convinced about the need for tapering off my caffeine intake!!! I feel I have been able to identify myself as an "adrenaline junkie", who, at the age of 45, now needs to learn how to slow down and take it easy.

I think it is a really interesting take on the whole diet and nutrition issue from a psychological viewpoint and has given me some valuable insights into why I got myself hooked on coffee, for example, and, to a lesser degree, beer. I am prepared to give her tips a really serious try!!!

My problem has been that although I can successfully lose weight on low-carb (done that twice in the last two years!), I can just as easily put it on again in the face of stress - whether due to self-imposed stress or stress from outside - when I tend to self-medicate with beer in the evenings, feel tired the next day, self-medicate during the day with caffeine, get myself stressed out, and then the whole cycle begins again.

From her descriptions, I am insulin-sensitive with - most likely - burned-out adrenal glands. I would love to get out of this whole cycle that I continually fall into, and I really think her tips could help.

I have been cooking low-carb style for two years, so I think looking at the meal plans in SPII will be enough for me. I know my carb counts, so it's just a question of tweaking my meals to put a few extra carbs in. So far, so good - I feel better with a few extra carbs and the meals keep me going longer!

Can anyone recommend the cookbooks, by the way?

amanda