Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 10:35

Plan: My Own!
Stats: 179/176.5/140 Female 5'4
BF:30.8/30.3/24.1
Progress: 6%
Default Has anyone been able to do INDUCTION while taking Metformin?

I was just wondering if anyone here has been able to do Induction on Atkins sucessfully while taking Metformin? I just feel REALLY sick, kinda like how I felt when I first started Metformin. I know my body is adjusting, but it would help me get by this time to know if there are some PCOS'ers out there who did Induction and Metformin at the same time.
I'm on 2000mg a day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 00:28

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

I can't handle induction carb levels on metformin. My blood glucose just gets way too low. I feel the best when my carbs are 40-50g a day so I would up the carbs until you feel better. Having constant low blood sugar is no laughing matter.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 12:45

Plan: Atkins-ish (40-50 carbs/day)
Stats: 255/225/135 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 25%

I agree. If I eat less than 20 carbs a day, it's not enough. I feel much better and glucose levels are normal if I eat 40-50 carbs/day. And I'm still losing weight, which is exciting. I've done low-carb a few times over the last 10 years and each time I stayed on Induction for a couple of months, lost 30 lbs or so, then couldn't stand it anymore and quit. 40-50 carbs, to me, is much more liveable. I just try to eat around 15 carbs a meal or less, so that I don't eat too many carbs in one sitting. Some days I still only eat 25, but it's more by accident than plan. Adust your diet slightly until you feel better-- don't give up!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 22:39

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is what I did: Slowly eliminated the carbs from your diet. My body would have revolted if I did the quick move to induction. My blood sugar, even with Met, went to extremes. About two weeks prior to going on "Induction," I reduced carbs. I first cut out sugar, then eliminated breads. By the time I officially began low-carbing on Induction, the transition was quite easy. The first two days of under 20 carbs were the hardest, but they were not too hard. Basically, I ate snacks all through the first 48 hours. It helped.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 11:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/210/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I started on 1/2/04 with induction and 1000MG Met on the same day. I have not had any problems at all. No symtoms at all.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/148/140 Female 173.7cm
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Thank heavens

I am so glad i read that!! i was about to restart my Metformin 2000mg and i am in first week of induction. I was worried about how the 2 would work together (it was bad enough without low carbing) i am new to this board and so glad there is a PCOS Board aswell! I am looking forward to getting to know you all and making a few friends xx
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 09:33

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

While i don't "do" Atkins i was on Induction level carbs in the beginning, still am some days. i didn't have any extra problems. i will say i was on glucophage for four months before i began limiting my carbs. Also about two months in i began to take the extended release gluc because the regular metformin was just too hard on my stomach. This was before i began to limit my carbs. Actually the biggest problem i have is if i eat a higher than normal amount of carbs. When they mix with the gluc i have some ... hmm .. intestinal problems .. smile
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 10:34

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

I'm on 1000 mg of metformin and just got through induction. I did have a case of the runs, but when I started adding psyllium husks it got better. It wasn't so bad that I wanted to stop either LC or metformin. And wow am I finally losing weight!!!!

Squid
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 12:56

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

i guess i should add that i am on 2000 mg of the extended release daily. i take the four (horse lol) pills in the morning.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 12:58
Registered Member

Plan: Low-Carb for PCOS
Stats: 244/193/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:Going down
Progress: 69%

Interesting.. I had put up a post in another room about the nausea and lack of appetite I've had going SEVERELY low carb (easily under 20g a day). I wonder if inching my carbs back up just a bit will make a difference.. I'm on 1000mg of metformin a day. I have cut out sugar mostly... then those wasted carbs (chips, bread, etc) that don't really do anything anyway! I'm eating better overall, when I can MAKE myself eat, that is. Time to sneak some more carbs in my developing diet!
Thanks for the info!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 23:29
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: 123/123/123 Female 123
BF:
Progress: 20%

I am still on Induction level carbs and am doing ok on my Metformin. The first couple of days were nuts, but it sorted itself out for me. I am hypoclycemic and so I nibble on meat all through the day, which keeps my blood sugar levels within normal. (I test often).
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 16:55
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

I take 1500mg of metformin and I restarted Atkins about 13 days ago. I went to the Dr's office and the nurse practitioner freaked me out because she said I was spilling ketones like crazy. I was under the impression that this is what we wanted right?

Anyway turns out she thought I was diabetic-until I told her I have PCOS. She said I shouldn't take the Met while doing induction-or I should add a piece of Atkins bread in the morning.

I'm not to sure she knew what she was talking about and would have been a lot happier had I seen the Dr. himself.

Anyway- I do induction and take Met-no side effects- but the funny thing is no weight loss in these 13 days either. Still waiting for the whoosh fairy and I won't leave before the miracle happens.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 18:55
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKPNYC
Interesting.. I had put up a post in another room about the nausea and lack of appetite I've had going SEVERELY low carb (easily under 20g a day). I wonder if inching my carbs back up just a bit will make a difference.. I'm on 1000mg of metformin a day. I have cut out sugar mostly... then those wasted carbs (chips, bread, etc) that don't really do anything anyway! I'm eating better overall, when I can MAKE myself eat, that is. Time to sneak some more carbs in my developing diet!
Thanks for the info!

I had the nausea really badly in the beginning too. It was so bad that I couldn't stomach any (low carb) food as eating made it worse. One time I broke down and had yogurt and some fruit because I couldn't stand it.

Though at the time I couldn't stand it, in hindsight I think feeling nausea on the beginning of very low carb is a good sign. To me it signals that fat is being burned really fast, and ketones are so concentrated that they are making you feel ill. This, of course, means that insulin levels were REALLY high before, and now they are much lower, which is resulting in a rapid burning of fat.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 18:59
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTwacky
I take 1500mg of metformin and I restarted Atkins about 13 days ago. I went to the Dr's office and the nurse practitioner freaked me out because she said I was spilling ketones like crazy. I was under the impression that this is what we wanted right?

Anyway turns out she thought I was diabetic-until I told her I have PCOS. She said I shouldn't take the Met while doing induction-or I should add a piece of Atkins bread in the morning.

I'm not to sure she knew what she was talking about and would have been a lot happier had I seen the Dr. himself.

Anyway- I do induction and take Met-no side effects- but the funny thing is no weight loss in these 13 days either. Still waiting for the whoosh fairy and I won't leave before the miracle happens.

Yes, having high ketones is perfectly normal for someone on induction. SHe probably wasn't aware that you are doing a ketogenic diet, and therefore the ketones she was seeing were nothing more than a symptom of benign dietary ketosis.

Ketosis in absence of a ketogenic diet is a symptom of out of control blood sugars & severe body catabolism. If one had that high of a ketone concentration and it wasn't from dietary ketosis, it is very likely they are on the verge of death from falling into a diabetic hypoglycemic coma.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 15:48
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

The nurse took urine to send off to the lab regarding the ketones...

I guess that's why they call it BENIGN dietary ketosis-because even though the test strips showed Ketosis.....and she thought I was in ketoacidosis...because of the Metformin but....

the lab results showed I was totally fine!!!!!!!!!!!!

So all the hype that people say about being in ketosis....is just that hype.