Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 15:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 455/401/240
BF:
Progress:
Default I'm new big-big man

Dear friends, I think Atkins's diet is last resort for me.
But task is very, very complicated, almost unresolved.
I'm 51 old programmer, 6.0" and 450 lb or >
I'm still alive and started Atkins diet 2 week ago.
Since that I feel some good filling and found that my appetite
decreased significantly. But nobody can see any changes in
the my belly and I can't get ketosys.
I WAS VERY STRONG about carbs, from the second week I have reduced amount of carbs up to 10g or less, but got ketosis
only once in the middle of the week.
I eat only myselg bouled chicken + 2 eggs + 1 cup of shredded
celery with olive oil & vinegar.
Some deviation: I can drink only 1 ltr of water + 2 -3 cups decaf tea or coffe, is it enough?
Please, give me advice how to move ahead.
Sorry for mistakes, I'm from Russia.

Thank in advance! Jacob.

P.S. PLEASE HELP ME TO RESP LC MEMBERS!!!!!
WHERE IS A MAIL ICON ON THE EACH POST ???
THANKS FOR ALL WHO WELCOME ME, BUT PLEASE ASSIST !!!

Last edited by Jacob450 : Mon, Sep-02-02 at 09:41.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 16:29
Registered Member

Stats: 235/217/190 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 40%

Jacob,
Welcome aboard. This diet has worked for many people I hope it works for you to. Have you read a copy of Dr. Atkins book or are you trying this diet on your own?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 16:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Jacob,

Welcome to this forum! Don't worry, you are doing good with english.
2 weeks is a little early to be able to see a big difference in your belly And I wouldn't be too concerned about those ketosis stix. They aren't all that reliable. A lot of people don't even use them anymore.
Do you have the Atkin's book? By what you said you eat, you are not eating enough and you need more fats and vegetables. Can you only eat chicken? What about beef, pork, fish, etc? You can have butter and some vegetables, lots of things. Read through the different people's journals and you can get an idea of what everyone is eating.
There are some guys on this site that are just about where you are....they would really be able to help you. I am sure they will be by to welcome you! I will drop by a couple of their journals and let them know you're here! Come and visit me (in my journal) sometime and let me know how you are doing! You should start a journal too and write down what you eat everyday, that way others can help you and give you suggestions. Good Luck Jacob .... K.C.

Last edited by Kayceecan : Sun, Sep-01-02 at 17:03.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 16:52

Plan: General LC-ing
Stats: 145/127/120
BF:BMI 23.7
Progress: 72%

HI Jacob,
Glad you're here.
If at all possible, please try to increase your water...I know that is hard for some people but you'll get used to it. Maybe just a little more each day until you're getting the recommened amounts.
You probably "feel" the difference in your belly (which is great)
but its a little soon for much of a visual difference. Hey,
"feeling" good is another great part of this WOL so you're
already reaping some bennies
You'll have all the support you need here
greentea
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 19:58

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Smile Welcome Jacob!

You've come to the right place!

You didn't mention if you've read Dr Atkin's book or not, but you are definitly not getting enough to eat!

Try this: http://atkinscenter.com/howto/index.html

It's the Atkins site...pretty much everything you need to know is on there. I would recomend getting the book also, but at least check out the site. Dr Atkins spells out just what you should do.

I agree that you shouldn't worry about the ketosticks! I've lost well with only a few days in ketosis...according the the sticks that is. We all spill ketones differently....some are more likely to show ketosis and dont' loose at all! Others hardly ever do and loose great!

I think you should be proud that you're doing this. You've come a long way....just making the choice to low-carb living!

Take things one day at a time! Dont' rush things. Eventually someone will notice! And until they do....you will notice! And it's you you're doing this for, right?

Good luck!

Feel free to post on any of the forums. The people here are all very helpful and supportive!

Oh! Almost forgot....there's another site called Fitday. You can enter what you've eaten and get the Fat, Carb and Protein contents. It's great. Makes you see exactly what you're getting, so even if you don't show ketosis you can see that you're doing things right! http://www.fitday.com/

Cindy
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 21:15
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi Jacob, welcome

You have come to both a good place on the internet and in your life. Trust me, this works. The diet is really quite simple.......reduce the amount of carbs you eat by replacing them with fat and protein. Like you, I was addicted to the white devil......sugar.......also.

Don't be concerned by acheiving ketosis, eating a certain number of calories, or counting carbs. These all get in the way of LISTENING to your body. As you reduce your level of carbs, your head will clear, you won't feel sluggish anymore, your appetite will reduce to normal levels, and you will just want to move ALL the time. It's weird, I just don't want to sit still anymore.......and the pounds just fly off.

And the drink water thing is whack too I like to drink Diet Cokes and ice tea instead so I do......I'll leave the water drinking stuff to people stuck on desert islands

There's a section called JOURNALS where many of us chronicle what we do to lose weight and live with the diet. There are several of us that started at over 400 lbs that are now in the 320s to 330s. Visit the journals of SZAR and DRWOLFE, along with the Shark Tank . If you have any questions, let us know.

By the way, where in Russia are you from? Our darling daughter Katerina was born in Kemerovo Siberia
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 07:09

Stats: 452/386/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Hi Jacob!

Welcome!

I heard you were over here and wanted to stop by and officially welcome you to the fold.

I agree with everyone who is telling you not to worry too much about the ketosis sticks. I used them for a few weeks when I started and haven't touched them since.

Like Shark said, Listen to your body! When you are hungry, eat. When your not, don't. Start a journal and take a look at a few others. And by all means read Dr. Atkins book if you haven't already. We're all here to help--ask us anything you would like.

What kind of programming do you do?

I worked with the Moscow ballet last year. They presented The Nutcracker in my theater. You have a much better hold on english than they did...

Mark
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 11:07

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hi Jacob,

Welcome to the forum. We are very similar except that you are about 9 years older than me. I am about 450, male, and work in the Computing Industry.

Recommendations:

1) Start a journal. Record exactly what you are eating each day. You are going to have to start to count calories to be sucessful. If you need information on starting a journal it can be found:
Starting a Journal
I also recommend getting a diet software package that will help you 1) record exactly what you eat 2) record exercise 3) help you remember and track water intake. I use Diet Power which runs about $40-45 US.

2) Determine your Base Metabolic Rate(BMR) to find out how many calories per day you need to consume. This may be completely against what you currently think about eating but the bottom line is you probably need to eat more to loose. There are a number of tools to use to compute your BMR. First, there is a fast calculation method (10-12 x' your current weight). Let say for you it's 10 x 450lbs = 4500 calories. There are several other formulas Including the Harris-Benedict Model. Here is a link to a page that will provide that calculation:
Harris Benedict BMR Calculator

I ran your numbers through this model and I came up with 3953 calorie per day BMR.

These calculations show you need between 3900 and 4500 calories per day to maintain your current weight. Now, rule of thumb says you need to reduce your calorie intake 500 calories per day to loose a pound per week. I would not exceed a goal of more than 2 pounds per week, because more would not be healthy, and would probably cause your metabolism to slow down to far. This means that 1000 calorie per day reduction might be your goal. Therefore if we take 3900 calorie BMR and subtract 1000 we get 2900 calories per day as your target daily calorie intake.

Next, we look at your consumption balance between protein, fat, and carbohydrates. Again there are a number of ways to compute your ideal requirement. General rule of thumb says:
Protein 25-30% Total Calories
Fat 65-70%
Carb 5%
Another method is to multiply your weight in pounds by (.6-.8). I suggest .6 in this case. One more which I like personally is 1 gram of protein times your Lean Body Mass(LBM) in pounds. Now computing your LBM, may not be easy but for me for example the lowest weight I'd ever been in my adult life is 235lbs. At that weight I was probably about 15% body fat. That means 235lbs x .85 = 200 pounds would be 0% body fat.

So assuming you are similar bone structure-large, and weight, and height as me, we take 200lbs as your LBM times 1 gram/pound = 200 grams of protein per day minimum. Since protein is 4 calories per gram we get 200 grams x's 4 calories/gram = 800 calories per day protein.

Next we subtract 800 protein calories/day from 2900 target calories per day = 2100(fat calories + carb calories) calories. Next, if we give you 25 calories of carbs(ok, Atkins purest will save 20 calories of carbs, but 5 calories is not going to make or break ketosis) we have 25 carb calories times 4 calories/gram for carbs = 100 calories per day carbs. Subtracting this from 2100 calories we get 2000(fat calories). 2000 fat calories divided by 10 calories/gram fat = 200 grams of fat per day.

Now lets see how these number compare to guidlines:
800 Protein Calories = 800 calories /2900 target calories = 27%
2000 Fat Calories = 2000/2900 target calories = 68%
100 Carb Calories = 100/2900 target calories = 3.4%

As you can see this is very close the guidelines for recommend ratio intakes. I am not saying this is exact but should be a good approximation.

3) Try to spread your calories out into 5-6 meals per day. A suggestion is eat every 3 hours. Breakfast, mid-morning snack, Lunch, mid day snack, dinner, evenging snack. Spreading meals out will help stimulate your metabolism.

4) Drink more water. Someone at your weight should be getting a gallon of water in per day. Yes, I said one gallon per day. My plan of attack on water is as follows: 30 onces before I leave the house in the morning (yes, you will probably have to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes starting an hour later, but think of it as good exercise). Get a water bottle at your desk, and just starting siping it. I try to get two 20 onces bottles of water down while at work. When you get home, another 30 onces before dinner. After dinner, another 30 onces. That adds up to 30 + 20 + 20 + 30 + 30 = 130 onces.

5) Exercise. Start slow, but do something. Walk a block out and back 3 times per week. Each week, pick up the pace a bit. If you have access to a decent gym I recommend an eliptical trainer or a stationary bicycle.

6) Learn everything you can about Metabolism. What you will find is that winning this battle against obesity requires you understand how your body processes food, how exercise impacts metabolism, how and what to eat to help your body burn fat. Get and read some books on this stuff. Trainerdan on this forum in the exercise section has a very good book on Metabolism. I highly recommend it:
Trainerdan Metabolism Book

7) Be patient, set a plan, set reasonable goals, ask questions. There's a lot of people here in the same boat as you are. There's a ton of very good information here.

Well, that should get you started. Welcome again, we are here to help so get your journal started. Look forward to seeing you around.

Regards,
Lux
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 12:21
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default TEST

TEST
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 13:04
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default I can answer!!!!!

Dear friends,
sorry for delay with my answer, but only after
Doreen's consultation I understood that I can't answer personaly.
Thanks for welcome messages and very usefull information.
Now I understand the mail think - listen yor body, really,
if my appetite decreased and I able to walk calm near refrigerator, life will continue!
Cindy, thank you for very usefull link!

Shark01, you frastrated me, I hoped I will biggest person on the forum today & in the past.
But I'm happy that I'm biggest man only today and other already left 400 lb region. I'll try to leave this position soon, too
I lived in Moscow and we immigrated to USA in September 1991. I want to visit to Moscow & meet my friends, but I can't do this
in my curent condition, of cource. What do you did in Kemerovo?

Mark, thank for your post. If you did this, it mean it's possible!
In my past live I visited to theathers very often and I saw
all performance in BOLSHOI in 70-80's.
Mark, what is means Szar?

Dear LUX, I' m very thanksful for your detail post, you clean a lot of things for me, I'll try to follow you instructon and may be I'LL ask more ?.

Mark & Lux, how your track you weigth?
Do you use 2 scales?
Please advice me about vitamins,
should I ordered Basic#3 ?

Thank you all. Jacob450
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 15:15

Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Jacob!

So glad you had so many visitors! And such good advice! Told you there were a lot of nice people here..... You can do it my friend! You're on your way! Good Luck! K.C.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 17:35

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Jacob and welcome. I hope you will do really well on Atkins and lose the weight you want.

Szar: Mark has chosen a "Name" for his posts which is different than his real name. Sometimes that is done for security reasons on a board. My screen name is "tofi" but I sign my posts "BarB" because that is one of my given names. So I am both tofi & BarB. Mark is both Mark & Szar.

If you are not hungry like before when you were eating carbs, then you ARE in ketosis. But the ketostix are not sensitive enough to register the amount. I am glad you have decided not to worry about them.

All the best.

BarB
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 18:25
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Barb

Hello Barb and thank you for welcome words & wishes.
I have asked Mark about pseodunym, because it sounds
like 'KING' by Russian, but in this case it should be written by
' TCHAR'. Sorry for lingvo exersis, but may I ask you:
According you profile, you stayed on this diet from 1998 but
still do not reach goal. What is wrong?
Also, please advice me about vitamins. I got only Russian
book about this diet and some discrepacy between PHARMACY
exists.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 19:59

Stats: 452/386/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hey Jacob,

Szar is the short version of my last name. I have been called that all my life--wasn't called Mark again by anyone until I got to college.

As far as supplements go, I take Atkins Basic #3, Dieter's Advantage, and Essential Oils with CLA. I usually order them right from Atkin's website just because it's quick and easy.

I use only 1 scale, now. I outline this in the first post of my journal, but I never weighed myself until one day I went to a factory that makes hardwood flooring. I weighed myself on their loading dock scale and continued to do so until I dropped under 400#. I then went to www.drugstore.com and bought the health-o-meter duet premium dual display scale--goes up to 400#. It can be found here

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mark
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 20:44
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default THANK YOU, MARK

Hi, Mark,
thank you very mach for your answer.
Today I'm full the new info and you gave final and very usefull
data. I forgot to answer to your ? , I'm a MAINFRAME programmer, COBOL, DB2, CICS, etc.
Will be better lose something till future interview...

Good night. Jabob450