Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 04:44

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Drinking full-fat milk could protect against strokes, study suggests

Quote:
From The Daily Telegraph
London, UK
16 July 2018

Drinking full-fat milk could protect against strokes, study suggests

Drinking full-fat milk could lead to a longer life by protecting against strokes, scientists have suggested.

While conventional diet advice has for decades dictated that skimmed and semi-skimmed milk is much healthier for us than full-fat milk, a study suggests that the opposite may be true.

Researchers found no significant link between dairy fats and heart disease and stroke, two of the biggest killers associated with a diet high in saturated fat. In fact, certain types of dairy fat might actually help guard against having a severe stroke, researchers reported.

It will be welcome news to people who prefer full-fat varieties of milk, butter, cheese and yogurt to those with lower quantities of fat.
Professor Marcia Otto, of the University of Texas, who led the study, said: "Our findings not only support but also significantly strengthen the growing body of evidence which suggests that dairy fat, contrary to popular belief, does not increase risk of heart disease or overall mortality in older adults.

"In addition to not contributing to death, the results suggest that one fatty acid present in dairy may lower risk of death from cardiovascular disease, particularly from stroke."

The study evaluated how multiple biomarkers of fatty acid present in dairy fat related to heart disease and mortality over a 22-year period.

The method, as opposed to the more commonly used self-reported consumption, gave greater and more objective insight into the impact of long-term exposure to these fatty acids, according to the report.
Nearly 3,000 men and women aged 65 and older were included in the study, which measured blood levels of three different fatty acids found in dairy products in 1992, and again six and 13 years later.

None of the fatty acid types were significantly associated with total mortality and one type was linked to lower cardiovascular disease deaths.

People with higher fatty acid levels, suggesting a higher consumption of whole-fat dairy products, had a 42 per cent lower risk of dying from a stroke.
While health experts often recommend a diet rich in fat-free or low-fat dairy, including milk, cheese and yogurt, the researchers said that low-fat dairy foods such as chocolate milk and low calorie yogurt often include high amounts of added sugars which may lead to poor heart health.

Health officials warned that a single pot of yogurt can contain the entirety of a child's daily sugar allowance earlier this year after a number of major brands were found by Public Health Liverpool to contain the equivalent of almost five sugar cubes.

Clarissa Lenherr, a registered nutritionist, pointed out that by stripping fat out of dairy products, the food is not as filling and vitamins are lost.
She said: "The fat in dairy products is what makes them satiating, and by stripping dairy products of their fat, you are also reducing the amount of Vitamin A and D that they contain. Both are crucial vitamins and both are fatsoluble, which means that they need fat to be absorbed.

"So even when you choose low-fat dairy products that have been fortified with these vitamins, you may not even be absorbing them, due to the fact that the product has little fat left in it."

Professor Otto added that whole-fat dairy products are rich sources of nutrients including calcium and potassium. She said: "Our results highlight the need to revisit current dietary guidance on whole fat dairy foods, which are rich sources of nutrients such as calcium and potassium.

"These are essential for health, not only during childhood but throughout life, particularly also in later years when undernourishment and conditions like osteoporosis are more common."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...study-suggests/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-18, 04:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Now they "rethink" the advice.

https://now.tufts.edu/articles/rethinking-dairy-fat

"Rethinking Dairy Fat
No link found in older adults between consuming dairy fat and a higher risk of death

A new study, co-written by senior author Dariush Mozaffarian, dean of Tufts’ Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, finds that the fats in milk, cheese, and other dairy products aren’t linked to a higher risk of death in older adults.

The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, followed nearly 3,000 adults age 65 years and older for twenty-two years. Rather than relying on what participants said they ate, the researchers measured their blood levels of three fatty acids found in dairy products, taking measurements three times over thirteen years. Higher fatty acid levels suggested a higher consumption of whole-fat dairy products.

None of the fatty acids they looked at were significantly linked to total mortality or heart disease. In fact, people with the highest amount of one of the dairy fats, heptadecanoic acid, had a 42 percent lower risk of dying from stroke compared to people with the least heptadecanoic acid in their blood. But heptadecanoic acid was also associated with a higher risk of dying from illnesses other than cardiovascular disease, something the authors said warrants further investigation.

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend that people choose non-fat and low-fat versions of dairy foods because of concerns about saturated fat and calories. Emerging research suggests the fats in dairy products may call for more nuanced advice, said first author Marcia Otto, an assistant professor of epidemiology, human genetics, and environmental sciences at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston.

“Consistent with previous findings, our results highlight the need to revisit current dietary guidance on whole fat dairy foods, which are rich sources of nutrients such as calcium and potassium,” she said in a statement.

Mozaffarian points out that dairy products, like all foods, are more than the sum of their parts—as research on the body’s reaction to fermented foods such as cheese and probiotic-rich foods such as yogurt is revealing. “There is growing evidence on the complexity of foods, so health effects cannot be judged based on simplistic metrics such as total fat,” he said.

Julie Flaherty can be reached at julie.flaherty~tufts.edu."

And in Business Insider....Cheese Lovers, Rejoice!

http://www.businessinsider.com/chee...ms-death-2018-7
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-18, 05:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I am glad the truth is coming out.

When my kids were young, the pediatric staff pushed at every appointment to reduce the fat content of the milk from whole milk to 2%, and I refused over and over and over again. Seemed to me the amount of fat in milk was nothing compared to keeping potato chips out of their hands.

Looking back I wish I had not fed my kids milk.At least not fluid milk. About 5 years ago I stopped buying milk, only a rare thing now, as it is high in milk sugar. The NEW pedi was fine with that. Lots of yogurt and cheese. The last gallon I bought was never opened.

From my own digging into the subject, the fat soluable Vit K2 is removed from 2% milk, leaving less than half of what ever amount there was. K2 is a little know vitamin that I didnt know the importance of. DANDR mentions it. But the importance of it was not communicated.

Actually the US recommendations until recently have actually CUT the amount in our diets: low fat dairy, 2 eggs a week limit. Grassfed HIGH FAT dairy and eggs are readily available vit K sources. This Vitamin is critical for the deposition of Calcium, a main focus in heart attacks, into the correct tissues. Well worth researching the 3 types of food sources to get all the types of Vitamin K2.

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2016...in-k2-resource/
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-18, 21:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Emerging research suggests the fats in dairy products may call for more nuanced advice, said first author Marcia Otto, an assistant professor of epidemiology, human genetics, and environmental sciences at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston.

“Consistent with previous findings, our results highlight the need to revisit current dietary guidance on whole fat dairy foods, which are rich sources of nutrients such as calcium and potassium,” she said in a statement.

Mozaffarian points out that dairy products, like all foods, are more than the sum of their parts—as research on the body’s reaction to fermented foods such as cheese and probiotic-rich foods such as yogurt is revealing. “There is growing evidence on the complexity of foods, so health effects cannot be judged based on simplistic metrics such as total fat,” he said.

I'm absolutely shocked at these findings!!!

How does one become an "assistant professor of epidemiology, human genetics, and environmental sciences" and what does someone do with that title that remotely relates to human nutrition or diet??????
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-18, 22:21
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Doesn't matter. People will still be buying low-fat dairy forever and ever and ever.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-18, 00:00

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

This would also be consistent with the findings of last year's PURE study which also suggested that saturated fat had an inverse association with stroke.

Might not be news to many of us here, but no harm in replicating the findings either, for people still on the fence.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-18, 07:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
Doesn't matter. People will still be buying low-fat dairy forever and ever and ever.

THe government did a BIG stuy to figure a way to decrease calories, to try to stop this obesity epidenic, and found MILK was thte one product that us humans would change , from whole to 2%. Then sold this sham to all pediatritians, who PUSH this on new parents. My neices that are mid 20's only drink 2% and will not touch any thing else.

I never bought into this garbage, as I noted above my kids get( or got) whole milk........whole fat cheeses, whole fat yogurts sometimes . VERY hard to find whole fat individual servings.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-18, 08:37

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW

We're the oddballs here - we actually read about this stuff! None of my friends or family do. Fortunately, my husband trusts what I make for him.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 09:41
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 210/191/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:38/37.2/??
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
THe government did a BIG stuy to figure a way to decrease calories, to try to stop this obesity epidenic, and found MILK was thte one product that us humans would change , from whole to 2%. Then sold this sham to all pediatritians, who PUSH this on new parents. My neices that are mid 20's only drink 2% and will not touch any thing else.

I never bought into this garbage, as I noted above my kids get( or got) whole milk........whole fat cheeses, whole fat yogurts sometimes . VERY hard to find whole fat individual servings.

I am pretty sure the schools around me only sell reduced fat or skim milk in the lunchrooms. I, too, remember the pediatricians' advice, as I was a big supporter of it. My kids don't like the taste of full-fat milk, probably because I raised them on skim. Oh well; I can't undo things. At least I breastfed them all, and they all like full fat cheese. We have moved away from a lot of milk drinking.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 09:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:

The Atlantic: The Vindication of Cheese, Butter, and Full-Fat Milk

A new study exonerates dairy fats as a cause of early death, even as low-fat products continue to be misperceived as healthier.

by JAMES HAMBLIN, MD

As a young child I missed a question on a psychological test: “What comes in a bottle?”

The answer was supposed to be milk. I said beer.

Milk almost always came in cartons and plastic jugs, so I was right. But this isn’t about rehashing old grudges. I barely even think about it anymore! The point is that the test was a relic of a time before me, when milk did come in bottles. It arrived on doorsteps each morning, by the hand of some vanishing man. And just as such a world was alien to me as a kid, the current generation of small children might miss a similar question: “Where does milk come from?”
Many would likely answer almonds or beans or oats.

Indeed, the already booming nut-milk industry is projected to grow another 50 percent by 2020. Much of this is driven by beliefs about health, with ads claiming “dairy free” as a virtue that resonates for nebulous reasons—many stemming from an earlier scare over saturated fat—among consumers lactose intolerant and tolerant alike. The dairy industry is now scrambling to market milk to Millennial families, as the quintessential American-heartland beverage once thought of as necessary for all aspiring, straight-boned children has become widely seen as something to be avoided.

Should it be?

It all happened quickly. In the 1990s, during the original “Got Milk?” campaign, it was plausible to look at a magazine, see supermodels with dairy-milk mustaches, and think little of it. Now many people would cry foul. With nut milks dominating the luxury café-grocery scenes frequented by celebrities, an image like that would surely elicit cries of disingenuousness: There’s no way you actually drink cow’s milk! And if you do, it’s probably skim or 2-percent milk, which leave no such thick mustache!

Difficult as it may be for Millennials to imagine, the average American in the 1970s drank about 30 gallons of milk a year. That’s now down to 18 gallons, according to the Department of Agriculture. And just as it appears that the long arc of American beverage consumption could bend fully away from the udder, new evidence is making it more apparent that the perceived health risks of dairy fats (which are mostly saturated) are less clear than many previously believed.

A new study this week in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition is relevant to an ongoing vindication process for saturated fats, which turned many people away from dairy products such as whole milk, cheese, and butter in the 1980s and ’90s. An analysis of 2,907 adults found that people with higher and lower levels of dairy fats in their blood had the same rate of death during a 22-year period.

The implication is that it didn’t matter if people drank whole or skim or 2-percent milk, ate butter versus margarine, etc. The researchers concluded that dairy-fat consumption later in life “does not significantly influence total mortality.”

“I think the big news here is that even though there is this conventional wisdom that whole-fat dairy is bad for heart disease, we didn’t find that,” says Marcia de Oliveira Otto, the lead researcher of the study and an assistant professor of epidemiology, human genetics, and environmental science at the University of Texas School of Public Health. “And it’s not only us. A number of recent studies have found the same thing.”

Hers adds to the findings of prior studies that also found that limiting saturated fat is not a beneficial guideline. While much similar research has used self-reported data on how much people eat—a notoriously unreliable metric, especially for years-long studies—the current study is noteworthy for actually measuring the dairy-fat levels in the participants’ blood.

A drawback to this method, though, is that the source of the fats is unclear, so no distinction can be made between cheese, milk, yogurt, butter, etc. The people with low levels of dairy fats in their blood weren’t necessarily dairy free, but they may have been consuming low-fat dairy. All that can be said is that there was no association between dairy fats generally and mortality.

The researchers also found that certain saturated fatty acids may have specific benefits for some people. High levels of heptadecanoic acid, for example, were associated with lower rates of strokes.

De Oliveira Otto believes that this evidence is not itself a reason to eat more or less dairy. But she said it could encourage people to give priority to whole-fat dairy products over those that may be lower in fat but higher in sugar, which may be added to make up for a lack of taste or texture. She points to the classic example of chocolate milk, the low-fat varieties of which are still given to schoolchildren under the misguided belief that it is a “health food.”

The latest federal Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which guide school lunches and other programs, still recommend “fat-free or low-fat dairy.” These guidelines are issued by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, so they have long been biased toward recommending dairy consumption in a country that is rich in dairy-production infrastructure. Veganism is not encouraged given a national interest in continuing to consume the dairy the country produces. But promoting low-fat and fat-free dairy over whole milk has no such economic defense.

The takeaway is that, from a personal-health perspective, dairy products are at best fine and reasonable things to eat, and avoiding butter and cheese is less important than once believed. While the narrative that cheese and butter are dangerous is changing, it also remains true that dairy isn’t necessary for children or adults. A diet rich in high-fiber plants has more than enough protein and micronutrients to make up for a lack of dairy—and the vitamin D that’s added to milk can just as well be added to other foods, taken as a supplement, or siphoned from the sun.

With every new study that tells us more about the complexities of human nutrition and stymies efforts to fit nutrients into simple good-bad binaries, the easier it should be to direct our concerns productively. This study is another incremental addition to an ever-expanding body of knowledge, the point of which is that we should worry less about the harmful effects of single nutrients and more about the harms done by producing food. At this point, the clearest drawbacks to consuming animal products are not nutritional but environmental, with animal agriculture contributing to antibiotic resistance, deforestation, and climate change. While there is room for debate over the ideal amounts of saturated fat in human blood, the need to move toward an environmentally sustainable food system is unambiguous.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...o-death/565253/
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 16:05

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Only full fat milk for my kefir.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 16:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot18
I am pretty sure the schools around me only sell reduced fat or skim milk in the lunchrooms. I, too, remember the pediatricians' advice, as I was a big supporter of it. My kids don't like the taste of full-fat milk, probably because I raised them on skim. Oh well; I can't undo things. At least I breastfed them all, and they all like full fat cheese. We have moved away from a lot of milk drinking.

Milk is a rare thing here----CHEESE is big here, too.

When I found out the milk money, allowed the kids to choose CHOCOLATE MILK, I put the kibosh on that ...... or tried to. THe young kids are sent to lunch to select their own choice of regular milk or chocolate. I could not get son to stop buying the chocolate sugar laced milk. VERY frustrated. Hate public school..... In the middle school, I stopped paying for milk. Wish I had thought of that in k-4.