Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 12:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 123/117/112 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Meat/Egg Fast

Happy Friday to all! I have a question about the meat/egg fast. I've been on this WOL for almost a year now and have lost only 4 lbs. I exercise 5 days a week and have probaly 'cheated' 3-4 times in all that time.

I needed to kick-start myself so have been doing the fast for almost 4 days (today will be my last day). I have had nothing but chicken & turkey breasts, tuna, salmon and a few scrambled eggs. Salt & pepper to taste and that's it!

The problem is I still can't get into ketosis and have not lost a single pound. Calories range from 1200-1500/day. The dr. says my tests are neg. for hypothyroid (despite the fact I was diagnosed with it in high school). I am constipated, however. Could this be to blame?

First thing tomorrow morning I am having a veggie omelet and getting back on induction! Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated : )
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 10:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/283/250 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

i didnt see results until my 5th day of meat and egg fast......so i think your suppose to do it for atleast 5 days...and yes constipation could be a reason....get some fiber pills quick
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 18:59

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/
Progress: 0%

Aren't you already at a good weight for your height?
Why would you need a meat and egg fast? At this point, if you have not lost and are not losing, I think your body may be trying to tell you something!
Brenda
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 13:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

pbwh, I think Brenda is making a sound point here. At 5' 4" tall, you are not overweight by any standard that I'm aware of and it seems that your body is sending you a clear message that it doesn't want to go any lower in weight than you already are even if you don't like the number that the scale is showing you. Our bodies often have different ideas than we do regarding what is and is not a healthy weight and will fight us when we attempt to go below that weight. You can attempt to override that by fasting and cutting calories drastically, but you may very well damage your metabolism in the process. In the past year, you have excercised a lot which could also mean that you have replaced fat with muscle. Muscle is much more dense than fat and takes up less space so you can be smaller at the same weight when fat is replaced by muscle.
My advise would be to start focusing on maintainence at this point instead of frustrating yourself by trying to lose more than your body is obviously comfortable with.
If you still *feel fat* at your current weight, adding weight resistance and toning to your excercise regime may be helpful to help you look leaner and more toned at your current weight.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 07:29
Registered Member

Stats: 123/117/112 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Thanks for the responses - this group always provides much-needed support (even if it's not what I want to hear ).

I was actually at 114 this time last year and SOOO healthy and fit. Clothes fit and felt great! I have not changed my exercise habits (just my eating habits in that time). I am a petite size (yes - I have a six pack of abs and tone arms that look great in a tank top now!) but it's from waist down that is, according to my 5-year old "chuggly wuggly."

I know it can be done because I've been there before. I guess you could call it vanity weight but it's still weight that CAN come off nonetheless.

You guys rock!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 09:50

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

I have to agree with the others: Im 5'4 and I havent been 117 lbs since jr high-I was NOT a heavy kid, rather athletic. 117 would be skin and BONES!

I think your body may have gone into starvation mode. If you really think those pounds will come off, I would start adding in more carbs, rather than less. work in some fruit.