Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 15:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 189/175/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:
Default What's the differance / Thyroid test's ?

Went to my shrink Friday, to get a med review for antidepressent's. I figured out just how to tell him i have felt (for a long time now) Dr asked me if i had ever had my thyroid tested? Yep, by my other Dr and was always told it was normal? He sent me to get it done again (i'll go in the morning).
But this time i have to fast for 12 before? When other Dr tested me i never had to fast. My question is whats the differance? This is kind of new to me.
I told Dr that i feel like i have no energy & no desire what so ever to do anything at all,Plus i just felt weak in my arms mostly, I have trouble sleeping at night & wake up all night long. In the morning i drag till noon or later before i get dressed. What a waste of time & day. I have been lc for 20 months & only lost 20 pound's. Better than gaining 20. I'll stick to the lc.

Thanks for the help,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 21:13

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

Fasting blood tests are generally considered more accurate because after 12 hours most food etc that you have consumed would have been cleared from your blood system.
There are at least four tests you can have, and maybe a couple more if you are proved hypothyroid. It is not difficult to treat should this be the case, once the dose of meds required is ascertained (over a short period of time, usually).
I couldn't believe the change in how I felt after just 50mcg ...I ended up needing 150mcg. Your thyroid plays a part in many different aspects of your well being. You may even find thyroid med clears up that depressed feeling...that would be great, wouldn't it.
Why not type 'hypothyroid' into your search engine and read up on it.
I say hypothyroid rather than hyperthyroid, because if you were hyper, you would be going at everything at a fast pace, and probably not carrying any excess weight. Let us know what the verdict was after the tests......Eve

Last edited by eevee : Sun, Oct-19-03 at 21:16.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 04:14
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

There is a good site on hypothryroidism:

http://thyroid.about.com/mbody.htm

Make sure that you get a copy of your blood tests-they have recently changed the "normal" range for TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) so that it is lower than it used to be.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 08:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 189/175/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the reply's, I can't wait to be my old self again! I'll was also thinking it was hypo from what i had read on it. Thank God my Dr heard me out even if it was my shrink! I don't know abt it clearing up my depression i have been treated for over 20 yr's. But it sure would be nice if it did. I will be getting a copy of my test this time thats for sure, Last time all the Dr would say was that "It's normal". I just know i'm tired of feeling like crap with no desire to do anything or caring if i did anything, Plus the weight i have put on in the last few yr's. I also wonder if it has alot to do with me only losing 20 pound's in the last year & a half? It would be nice to get up in the morning feeling refreshed & getting dressed before noon/ 1Pm.

Thanks again for your help.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 14:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

hi there,

None of the thyroid tests require prior fasting. It's likely that the dr. was clever enough to check off some other tests to be done at the same time .. my guess would be fasting blood sugar Hypoglycemia or even diabetes can cause some of those symptoms too.

I hope this uncovers some source of your malaise. Depression is a symptom of low-thyroid function .. it would be great if you could get off some of your meds.

Keep us posted how you're doing

Doreen