Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 10:41
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default High-fat diets trigger changes in brain chemistry

By Melissa Schorr

NEW YORK, Sep 13 (Reuters Health) - High-fat diets trigger the brain to produce peptides that may alter eating behaviors and body weight in laboratory animals and lead to obesity, according to research findings.

"The fats we eat affect the brain, then the brain determines how we get fat," Sarah Leibowitz, associate professor of neurobiology at The Rockefeller University in New York City, told Reuters Health.

Leibowitz presented her research recently at the American Chemical Society meeting in Chicago, Illinois.

High-fat diets are known to raise the levels of lipids known as triglycerides circulating in the blood. According to Leibowitz's research, these triglycerides seem to stimulate genes in the brain's hypothalamus to produce several neurochemicals. These chemicals in turn produce neuropeptides, or proteins, which may interfere with the feeling of fullness and alter fat storage.

In a study of young normal-weight rats fed an abnormally high-fat diet, a rat's production of elevated triglyceride levels served as a marker of the animal's later tendency to become obese.

The researchers identified two of these "fat-responsive" peptides as orexin and galanin, which were overexpressed in rats with a tendency to gain weight when put on this high-fat diet.

"A single high-fat meal is sufficient to stimulate the hypothalamic expression of 'fat-responsive' genes that produce overeating, enhance fat deposition and ultimately promote obesity," Leibowitz noted.

http://reutershealth.com/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 10:43
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs down

Of course, the author leaves out one minor detail. The diets were high fat, highCARB ...

LOW-carb, high fat & protein diets will lead to DECREASED triglyceride levels.

#3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 08:11
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 218/214/140
BF:
Progress: 5%

Some people will only see what they want to and you will never be able to convince them otherwise. I can't stand people like that who only tell part of the truth.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 07:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/163/130
BF:
Progress: 15%

"High-fat diets are known to raise the levels of lipids known as triglycerides circulating in the blood."

Actually, if you do the research, (and I have,) there is no evidence that high fat diets (in the absence of carbs) raise triglycerides. This has become accepted "fact" and people base their research on it, but it seems that no one goes back to check the original assumption. It's like an urban legend. The problem is, of course, that unless you make this assumption, it's extremely difficult to get research funds, since going against the party line is a "no no".

What is so irritating, if you look at the studies being done (e.g. via medline) that so many people are essentially repeating the same studies over and over again. So, it's not that the money isn't available, it's that it's only available for certain research paths, and low-carb isn't one of them.

Mind you, it's interesting that high triglycerides might themselves be the mechanism that causes people to overeat, although it's still the concept that people are overweight because they overeat. I don't think there's another condition out there that is treated quite so consistently as being the sufferers fault. Although most doctors now give credence to the "thrifty gene" theory, they still look on weight control as a matter of will-power. Any other genetic propensity to contract a disease is considered both bad luck, and an opportunity to attempt to treat it, but not obesity.

All right, I'll get of my soap box now!

Jay
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 07:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by jenniferpa
there is no evidence that high fat diets (in the absence of carbs) raise triglycerides. This has become accepted "fact" and people base their research on it, but it seems that no one goes back to check the original assumption. It's like an urban legend.

I agree. Have you read the Eades book "Protein Power Lifeplan"? I Came across a startleling revelation very early on in the book. The low fat / high carb diet was based on a theory; a theory that had never been proven . Pretty scary how we all accepted it as fact.

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 07:56
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, I have read that book. Unfortunately, medical training does a lot to force individuals minds into non-divergent paths. What one really needs is a multi-millionaire who is prepared to fund the required research (any volunteers?) Even then, most research sites wouldn't be willing to do this "radical" research, for fear of damaging their credibility. Even if it was done, it would be discounted as "tainted" by private money. Why it's acceptable for drug companies to do this is, but not individuals, is beyond me.

Jay
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 08:23

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 192/119/111
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Whew! Glad I'm not a rat!!

Hi to all, can't believe some of the things I read and hear about this lifestyle!! I just got back from a trip from IN, to NY, PA, and OH. I was in Western NY for 2 days, and between my relatives spouting every negative rumor ever heard, I had to put up with waitresses who wanted to "counsel" me. As if being at my goal weight wasn't enough to convince them. In Oh, a waitress brought me lowfat dressing because I nixed the potato part of the meal, and asked for green beans!! I also heard, "Oh, you are thin enough, why don't you have some bread, and healthy potatoes?" Then, a miracle happened! When I went to pay the check at the restaurant, there stood the manager, the "low-carber" manager (from Low carb heaven). Not only did we get our meals free, I was sent along with a broiled chicken breast, with Monterey Jack cheese, and peppers in a box!! I don't know what a low carb rat would have thought of the situation, but I was pretty happy!! Pam
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 12:03
Registered Member

BF:

I've just spent an hour tracking Dr Sarah Leibowitz previous work. She authored a paper in 1995 about insulin (see link below)

http://www.rockefeller.edu/pubinfo/galanin.nr.html

Now, I've read this and re-read it and it still doesn't make sense. Bearing in mind that type 1 diabetics produce no insulin and rapidly lose weight, and that those who have insulin sensitivity have high levels of insulin but tend to be obese, I'm not quite certain how she comes to the conclusion that high levels of insulin are a good thing.

Have a look and see what you think.

Jay
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 14:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
When I went to pay the check at the restaurant, there stood the manager, the "low-carber" manager (from Low carb heaven). Not only did we get our meals free, I was sent along with a broiled chicken breast, with Monterey Jack cheese, and peppers in a box!!

Oh Pam, that is so GREAT! I bet that made you feel on top of the world after that. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall that day. I bet that waitress got a good talking to after you left.