Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#811   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-17, 07:52

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi Ladies! Sorry I have fallen so incredibly far behind.

I am glad to see that everyone is doing well: Trig off on her trip to the beach, Blue off on her trip to see her beloved boy, Lori having survived work and getting ready to hit boot camp in the new year, Jaz having enjoyed a great visit with her son and looking toward the New Year's changes, and Kmom with having had six days with her SD (and that story was too cute!)

I haven't even known how to sum up what is happening over here so I've just avoided it in general. To sum up- our guests arrived on the 22nd very late at night and have been sick since. Last night, Dec 27, was the first time they have been with us on the main level of the house and had a meal. We have been ferrying food up and down the stairs to the basement. There really isn't anything good to say about the whole situation except that they seem to be feeling better. I don't know when they are leaving.

In better news, Dh and I have banded together and bonded over the whole ridiculous situation. We hosted a lovely Christmas dinner in spite of it all, we've kept the traditions alive for our kids- we did pottery painting on the 26th, iHop and mini golf on the 27th and today is laser tag. Today is also DS15's birthday, so he is now DS16!! We do a half-birthday for him, so we will have his birthday dinner of artichoke pasta and his birthday dessert of angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream. We hold off on presents for him but he will have a couple of things to open from his Grandfather. We give him a birthday with presents in June instead.

I'll try to pop in more but I have been following the "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing" philosophy and in regards to what was going on at my house, it applies!

Hugs to all!
Sponsored Links
  #812   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-17, 17:57

Plan: 20 net carbs
Stats: 250/210/175 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

Nic:
Oh, I don't even know what to say. Your guests being in a different part of the house for FIVE days because they are sick is really strange. Hard time for them and for you! Good thing that came out of it is that your DH and you bonded over it all. Plus, they got better!

I am having my chicken with the Chicken Tortilla soup from TJ's tonight with broccoli. I just pour it over the chicken like a sauce. It is very thick. I do love it, but I love the Chicken Lazone even more. I have gotten very fast at making that!

Jaz:
Yeah, I would stay home with that sore throat. Also, I can really feel the exhausted of your DD...both physically and emotionally. I really hope someone can help them out...at least for a while. I know it can't be you.

Hope something just falls in your lap that you absolutely love and is in your price range. You have some time, and yet life goes by so fast!

Lori:
Glad you get a leisurely day. You certainly do deserve it! Boot camp will be a shock to your system, but you know the aches and pains that come with starting up, so at least you will be ready.

Me:
Say, I don't eat salt out of the salt shaker. I have used Mrs. Dash for years, but just recently noticed the carb count. I have switched to TJ's Everyday Seasoning. NO CARBS! And it is so tasty. It DOES have 80 grams of sodium per 1/4 teaspoon, so I will need to always be cognizant of that.

I have been losing the battle lately with my woe, but I have not lost the war. I have had a couple of really good days and I feel very motivated.

Trig and Blue...Hope you are having a grant time!

K-Mom 10x4
  #813   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-17, 18:48

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Leeann- Wait- are you telling me that you had GUEST that came to your house SICK and you played house maid/nurse to them and they haven't left. OMG I would be over the top. Not only that YOU will be CLEANING up after them- sheets, towels, laundry, bathroom.

I am speechless. I would be so upset there aren't words. Even my own son stayed home over Thanksgiving because he was sick, and didn't want us to catch it.

You my dear are a saint. I would have no patience. so even if they came and got sick- the proper thing would be to go and find a hotel. Not expect you to clean up, and serve them as sick! WOW OH WOW.

How nice however you were ever able to celebrate and still have fun with your kids. I hope a few years from now you can laugh about it.

I went back to work today- moral is again in the toilet. We are scraping the third program or attempt just in the last year at making this program run. We are on the 3nd software program and now the schedulers are going back to just scheduling.

Everyone is upset and my boss had an emergency meeting and are you ready for this: Flipped her hair, and laughed and said- I just can't honestly tell you anything. I have no idea how this is going to work out. This just isn't working. Then says- well we can just all hope for the best! - WOW- I will be looking for another position in the company.

I am putting my house buying on hold. Now is not the time if this program is going to fold. The good news- there are plenty of opportunities within the company.

So, on top of all that, for the first time in 5 years there will be no bonuses this year. EVERYONE is expecting one.

Maybe I should just be like you Leeann- and be quite- because right now I can't say anything nice about work.

I am ready for new starts. I am needing a new vision and a new attitude right now. It was pretty devastating to hear that today. Do I think we are all out jobs tomorrow- no, but this year- most likely.

Going on with school- as I will be in same company is my hope, just different dept. I am going to explore Tampa! Yea I said that. Right now anything is open.

My kids will be heart broken- not saying anything to them until I know more. I may just hang tight too. But loosely.

sighhhhhhh....... been here done this.......
  #814   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-17, 05:43

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

Jaz...so sorry your work situation is once again in turmoil. I do, however, think you would love the Tampa area if that works out. It's great that there are lots of opportunities within the company. Hope it all falls into place for you.

Nothing much going on here. I spent a leisurely day yesterday, just like I wanted. My new Stitch Fix box came yesterday, so that was fun. I ended up liking all 5 items so bought them all! My favorite piece is a faux leather burgundy moto jacket. It is awesome. Also a marled green and black cardigan with fun zipper details, a fun black top and a pair of jeans. Oh....and the cutest earrings. I really didn't need any of the things, but they are mine now. I really need to get a life so I can wear all these cute things! I'm already thinking about what clothes I'll take along to Edinburgh in May. I want to just take a good sized back pack, so won't be able to take a lot. I think the highs will be around 50 and lows in the 40's, so sweaters and jackets will be a must. I'll only be there 4 full days, so I should be able to travel light. I don't think I'm going to do any of the races, so won't have to take running gear.

Nic...unbelievable circumstances at your house over the holidays! I suppose you will look back on this and laugh.....one day. Have things returned to normal now?

Thinking about our traveling girls and hoping they are having the best time.

That's it for me. Working 4-10 again tonight.
  #815   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-17, 06:12

BF:

I wrote and deleted- wrote and deleted again. I am checking in- hope everyone is doing well.

I will be back with a better attitude. LOLOL
  #816   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-17, 09:10

BF:
Progress:

Oh Jaz, what a mess. It seems like this particular job has no stability for you or your co-workers. They try new things, but nothing seems to be working. I imagine it is going to be a rough few weeks for everyone.

Lori, glad you had that leisurely day yesterday you had hoped for;

I am laying low today. Trying to catch up in many ways. I think I am going to make that Weight Watchers soup. I saw a similar recipe on FB. I will make sure I make mine LC. I just like the idea of having hot soup for one or two meals a day. Plus, if I can get in my broccoli and cabbage every day, that will help me too.

Have you guys ever made it? I read where that is the soup they give patients before they have the weight loss surgery. People seem to lose weight quickly when it is eaten for two meals. I would like a quick, big weight loss after some poor decisions lately.

Planning to be totally on plan today!

K-Mom 10x4
  #817   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-17, 09:11

BF:
Progress:

Oh, and Lori...I can't believe you liked at kept all five times from the Stitch Fix box! They must have you pegged for what you like!
  #818   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-17, 16:33

BF:

Oh Jaz, I am so sorry that things are so utterly craptastic at work. I really feel for you. It makes sense to halt looking for a house if there is any possibility at all that you might transfer. Give it a bit, let things settle and simmer down a bit and see how you feel at that point. To relocate away from your family would be rough. Hugs and more hugs to you.

I also really feel for your daughter. I have no doubt she is so completely over her head. Even though she has had a baby before, having one with special needs going on is a whole new ball game, plus she has a busy two year old at home also. She can't really take them out yet, right? Isn't Ava supposed to stay home? That would make it all the more difficult.

Lori- Sounds like Stitch Fix has got your ticket! They scored big with you on this one! Better hold on to your job because you can use the funds for travel and for purty new clothes!

KMom- I know exactly the soup you are talking about. I've made it before. It is actually quite yummy!! I really like that idea and also your soup/chicken combo idea and I will be doing both of those in a few days right along with you. I'm glad that you are doing okay and feeling a little more motivated the last couple of days.

Trig and Blue- Hope you are both having a great time on your travels. Can't wait to hear about it when you return.

•••••••••

Had a nice time last night- very low key celebrating of DS16's bday and then a bit of time hanging out in the family room. My Mom was actually present and since the kids really haven't seen her at all, that was nice. I would say we have seen her about 3-4 hours total since the 22nd when she arrived.

Today I had a CASA visit, got a hair trim (it had been MONTHS) and had lunch out with my DH which was lovely just to get away for a touch without the kids or anyone else. Tonight we are doing appetizers and a corn hole tournament in the basement family room, and I bought some Mike's hard lemonade and some Smirnoff Ice - whoo hoo! Unleash the Kracken!
  #819   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-17, 20:50

BF:
Progress:

So excited, Nic, that you are going to do that soup along with me. Which recipe will you use? Man, there are a ton of them out there. I think I am going to combine a couple of them to make it work for me.

2 pounds hamburger
2 stalks celery
1/2 c. onion
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups chopped cabbage
2 oz. fresh spinach thinly sliced
2 cups broccoli, chopped
1 cup zucchini, chopped
2 cans beef broth
4 broth cans water
8 oz can tomato sauce
TJ's Everyday Seasoning
1 t. spicy seasoning salt

Not sure if these ingredients are going to work. I really wanted to add some broccoli and zucchini. Plus I doubled the hamburger.

I adapted Linda's Low Carb Hamburger Soup.
  #820   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-17, 20:55

BF:

wow- Leeann- It was your mom that was sick! OMG! Well in her defense the flu is EVERYWHERE HERE!!!! Widespread. my only hope is that she didn't KNOWLY bring it to you.
When do you get an empty house? And time for just you?

I love your wisdom- beyond your years my friend!

KMOM- I am going to do the soup fast with you as well for 2 days of really bad choices. I will leave it at that- I too need a jump start. I can't remember the recipe- but remember it from days of old.

Lori- SERIOUS- ALL 5 things! - yup you better keep that job!

Warm wishes and safe travels to TRIg/ BLUE
----------------------------------
Off the rails for 2 days. that is all I will say. I normally have at the the Woe under control. Not this time. Just being honest- and I am up 5 pounds to show for it and feel like crap.

Will be back on track tomorrow- 100%- or I will be 500 pounds and have a show of my own!
Will be looking up that soup recipe. Need new beginnings.

I feel it even at 5 pounds, bloat, not good sleep, crappy. Want my LC life back. it only took 2 days to derail. It a battle ladies- time for me to regroup and go again!
  #821   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-17, 04:48

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

KMom.....that soup recipe sounds awesome! What a great way to get in a bunch of veggies and it sounds so satisfying! I need to make my LC chili sometime soon. I lived on that last winter.

Jaz...I am right there with you. I have not weighed myself, but I feel the bloat. I will do good most of the day and then stupidly grab some of DH's ever present chocolate or a stupid cookie. Sigh.....We need to get our heads screwed back on straight, right?

Nic....the corn hole tournament sounds like a hoot! You and your family do so many fun things. Hope your Mom is feeling better. Lunch with your DH sounds like just the thing you needed. Just get out of the house and meet your fella mid day....perfect!

I guess I am going to go to my sister's again next week. She wants me to come and I already took the days off work, so off I'll go. It's better than just sitting here for 4 days. I'll leave on Thursday morning and stay until Sunday. I really don't mind the 2.5 hr drive. It is all highway/turnpike driving, so you can make good time. DH's brother is coming next weekend, so it's a good time to "get out of Dodge".

The cold snap continues here. It is 13 degrees this morning with a skiff of snow. I am SO over winter. It is supposed to stay cold like this thru next week. It looks like my return to boot camp early Tuesday morning will feature a temperature of 7 degrees. Won't that be fun?? When I left work last night it was about 12 degrees and one of the girls leaving with me had no coat, gloves or anything. She said she never wears a coat. Now, that is just nuts!! Meanwhile, I had on a big coat with a fleece lining, a super warm hat and gloves! I don't know how she could stand it until her car warmed up. Not for me!

Today will see me huddled under my blanket until I have to get ready for work this afternoon. 3:30-9:30 tonight. I have off tomorrow, so I'm excited about that. Monday I work 2:30-7. As Nic says, I have to keep this job to support my travel & new clothes habits!

Have a good Saturday!
  #822   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-17, 10:25

BF:

Good Saturday morning!

Lori- I am over winter too! Ironically when it snowed here in Atlanta- I was in Charleston. By the time I got back the snow was melted. So I have yet to "see" snow this year.
Our forecast is bright GA blue skies and in the 40's all week. That is cold for the south.
I love LC chili- what recipe do you use?
I think it's fun you loved everything in your "stitch box". They have your number now!

Leeann- How are you doing? Do you still have company? I see you all up east are getting blasted by weather. Just remember that spring is truly around the corner! I may not seem like it in the dark of winter- but the days are now getting longer again! We have turned the corner on that!

Kmom- What recipe are you doing for your WW soup? I will google it. I too need that kick start. Did you ever get your treadmill fixed?
I am READY for a fresh start!

Blue/ Trig- I hope you ladies are having a ball! You both know we will want FULL disclosure of your adventures!!!!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------
I am VERY ready to put this year behind me. Although over all I will have to say, all in all it wasn't a bad year. I have had worse. It was just a healing year, and a time to settle in.

I would love to say that my word THRIVE- worked for me but it didn't. I would have liked to have made more personal goals. The biggest would have been to have started this year at my goal / healthy weight.
It has been and up and down struggle in that area for the last year. I have lost and gained the same 5 pounds either direction all year.

However- I am optimistic about the opportunity to get to goal this next year. I do feel mixed about what 2018 might bring. Somehow I think it's going to be bumpy. 2017- the calm before the storm. I feel the storm coming. What that means I don't know.

But what I do know is I want to be in a warrior mentality. I want to be fit physically, mentality, and $$. I need to tighten things up. I need to light that fire under my rear and make it happen.

So I have been mulling the buy vs. rent in my head. I need to just make a decision about it and go with it. I am leaning again towards buying a townhouse. Just something I can afford I have to live SOMEWHERE, I might as well buy if I can swing it. I will not go overboard- just within my means.

I have decided to give school full focus- as that will open many doors for me in 3 years. I will be done. I also struggled with that too- school vs my age. But I certainly don't feel my age. I have alot of work life left. I want that degree.

I will put in my time until this program fly's or fails. Then I will look for something here in Atlanta- hopefully with the same company. I really don't want to leave my family. I want to stay. I will make this work out. Atlanta is a big place and there are lots of opportunity here.
I need to plant- I am tired of running like a gypsy.

Now to the nitty gritty- This is the year I WILL get to my heathy weight. Notice I did not say a size 4/6. Been there done that. I want to get to my most healthiest weight. I am willing to put in the work to get there. I know that the older I get the harder it seems to get.

I know for me I need to not only live in a KETO- program, but I need some for of workout something! I am thinking to start off in a realalistic goal. Walking and some light weight hand weights and some stretching for flexibility. So I will be working out a schedule for that.

I am also going to jump start with either soup/ or shakes for a couple days for a bloat flush. That is what they do for gastiric bypass patients. they do shakes for a month PRIOR to surgery.
It shrinks the stomach, and they drop weight. I am thinking maybe alternating. More to come on that.

So - I have put it out there!
Who's on board with me for fresh starts and to kick off this year as the year to finally put the fat suit to the curb and let our healthy self shine!

Wonderful day ladies!
  #823   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-17, 10:38

BF:

Wait..
What is that?
Do you guys smell something?

I do!

It's the scent of FREEDOM!!!

WHAT WHAT!! Indeed, the old folks have LEFT the BUILDING.
OMG thank you little baby Jesus!!

It was quite the post-Christmas miracle. The SO finally just had enough and was ready to leave and my Mom tried every trick in the book to keep from leaving - She had to sterilize the nebulizer every day (problem point- she had not sterilized it once, as of yet, since she got it Christmas Eve.) She had to take three allergy shots on Saturday and couldn't possibly travel. There might be snow. ETC. The man finally just BROKE and told her he was leaving and she could either go with him or fly back.

I was terrorized by this because it could very well have been that she would choose to fly back and then not leave here for a couple of weeks. Fortunately, that did not happen. We escorted them (literally, I followed in a car and DH was in their car) to I-95 and got them safely on their way. Then we went out for a celebration breakfast to iHop. LOL

There really isn't any way you guys could possibly understand what it is like, how I can sound so cold, and what the years have been like to get things to this point, so I won't try, plus this isn't an appropriate forum. I'll leave it with this- my DH looked at me thoughtfully across the table at breakfast this morning, then shook his head and said softly "It really is a wonder that you and your brother aren't more F'd up from your childhood." That pretty much sums it up.

Moving on- today is movie day. Dh and the boys and possibly Fi will be going to Star Wars. DD and I will either go out or not, up to her. She's been under the weather and I could go either way.

Here's another thing- DD has been here since the 22nd of December. Her Fi has been here also since the 26th. It appears that they plan to go home after the New Year? Their house is like 35 minutes away! We'll let it go for this year, there has been plenty going on, but I would think that next year they can come for a night or two but no need to MOVE IN, you know?

Lori- It is so cool that you and your sister like each other so much. I think it's great. You have said she is older so as long as you both enjoy the time, you may as well maximize it! It is cold here too, currently 26, but nothing like what you guys are experiencing. I keep just being glad I don't live in Erie!

KMom- this is the recipe that I had found but I've always just winged it and thrown whatever in there- it's a great way to clean out freezer veg of different types. I'll probably toss some chicken in there.

3 cups nonfat beef broth (beef is the best) or 3 cups nonfat vegetable broth (beef is the best) or 3 cups nonfat chicken broth (beef is the best)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups chopped cabbage
1⁄2yellow onion
1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
1⁄2 cup green beans
1⁄2 cup chopped zucchini
1⁄2 teaspoon basil
1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
salt & pepper

I've often added a sprinkling of parmesan cheese over the top just for added yum.

Jaz- Hugs to you, hon. I'm sorry you've been off the rails from stress. The holidays and work crap will do it to you for sure sometimes. You've got this though, girlie, I know.

Another post coming up.
  #824   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-17, 10:42

BF:

Jaz- apparently we were cross posting.

Sounds like you have done some thinking. For what it is worth, which is pretty much nothing except that I'm opinionated!, I think staying in Atlanta is the right move. It is a huge market and you can surely find other work there if/when it is needed. Your family is there and like you said, no need to keep running.

Whether you buy or rent is another issue and it sounds like you are leaning toward the buy again. Hopefully you find something that you love. Buying is obviously a big deal. If not maybe you rent for a few months to have more time to look.

I like your plans for 2018 although I hope you don't have a rocky year!
  #825   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-17, 10:55

BF:

So, I've been thinking for the past couple of weeks (or whenever Jaz brought it up) about my word for the next year.

This past year was balance and in some ways it was achieved and in other ways it was not.

I think I have done a better job of balance with family life and adjusting to the changes going on. It was rough here and there for certain- I struggled the first two months DS19 was gone. But I feel like we found our way, DH and I became more tightly bonded, I stopped worrying so much about DS16's schooling and let some of that go.

Weight wise 'balance' was pretty much a mess. Weight loss went well, maintenance the first year went well, the second year has been somewhat a flop. Not an insane flop but a flop. I struggled (and struggle) mightily with staying on a plan and dealing with the idea of restriction and binge eating. Not binge eating like you read about or see on tv, but mindless or out of control or hidden eating, which for me falls under the label for binge.

I have done well balancing time to myself amongst family obligations, volunteering and other activities. I have learned to say no to things I don't want to do and to not feel guilty about it. I have spent time with friends I care about.

So overall balance has been all right, with the exception of the area this forum is supposedly about!

For this year, my word is "distill." I came to it when I was reading a magazine, and I can't remember what the question was, but the answer the person gave was "Do what matters to me." And I thought, how simple but how profound. Spend your time and your energy on the things that matter to you-- but what are the things that matter? And that is what I was dwelling on.

So the plan for me this year is to DISTILL down WHAT MATTERS TO ME. What things do I prioritize?

Family is one.
Travel is another.
Friends a third.
Volunteerism a fourth.

Okay, so how to shift time and energy TOWARD those. What changes do I need to make?

Travel is and has been a HUGE impetus for me. To travel the way I want to, I need to be physically strong and healthy. I need to fit well into various transportation (including roller coasters!), I need my clothes to be comfortable, I need to have the body strength to climb, hike, tour, walk etc. That is how, for me, this comes around to health and weight loss/maintenance.

Also, I know clearly what kind of grandmother I do NOT want to be. I have some ideas of what I *do* want to be. That is also achieved by good health.

So there you have it- Distill what matters to me. Distill my priorities. Make my priorities active goals and work toward them.

That's mine.
Closed Thread