Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#991   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 15:40

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Lessara,

Great results. Your hard work is paying off. Is your doctor at all interested in how you accomplished this?

Jean
Sponsored Links
  #992   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 16:07
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessara
First: saw my doctor today who did my A1c. I went from 10.6 to 6.3. I have lost total from my first visit in early January of 14lbs. (3 months) my blood pressure was 127/74.

Wonderful words! I am so very happy for you and proud of all you've accomplished!
  #993   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 16:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Hi all. Been a while since I've posted. In the middle of trying to get 100% of senior project done by Monday. I have stuff to report. First: saw my doctor today who did my A1c. I went from 10.6 to 6.3. I have lost total from my first visit in early January of 14lbs. (3 months) my blood pressure was 127/74.

As for as fasting goes, still doing MWF fast till dinner and I notice in the last two weeks that instead of slightly bigger dinners on fast days that I am eating less than I do on eating day's dinners. I just am not that hungry. And all my meals are Keto and just a reminder I am type 2. My doctor change my description to Diabetic well controlled She doesn't even care that I don't take any meds she tells me to take. She was thrilled. But not as much as I was.

OMG, Kassie!! 6.3!!
We all knew that you have worked so hard for this improvement that some of your daily FBG and weight loss just did not truly reflect the very impressive positive change in your health...and in just three months! You are an amazing success story...more weight loss will follow, now that you are well on your way to completely healing your body. And it seems your doctor now understands the power of the right diet too...maybe YOU have helped others in your town by showing her a diet that heals diabetes.

#994   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 17:10

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Amazing change. And it sounds like maybe that lower insulin is paying of with a greater decrease in appetite on the fasted days.
  #995   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 17:11

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

So happy for you Kassie! Great job! I bet everything will be further improved by your next visit!
  #996   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 17:14

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 308/247.5/182 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Exactly my goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishred15
My goal: lower my blood glucose. Not lose weight. Not eat the perfect amount of fat. Etc.

This is my goal too.. I'm a bit nervous about starting IF, but I really need to just do it.
  #997   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 17:30

BF:

Quote:
I went from 10.6 to 6.3.

That's awesome!
  #998   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 18:31
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Seriously impressive results, Kassie - great job
  #999   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-15, 21:26

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Kassie, your progress is truly remarkable, just incredible. Congrats!
  #1000   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-15, 17:30

Plan: Bernstein, Fung, IF
Stats: 267/202/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Dr. Fung has up his first blog on Fasting. First part is on the history of fasting through the ages.
  #1001   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-15, 22:35

BF:

I intend to start tomorrow night (Sunday night) for a 36 hour fast. MWF of this week.

So I've got a question.....ok, two....

1- I think I saw a post about blood tests.....maybe about insulin levels but I can't find it again. I confirmed with my insurance that I can visit a lab and have tests done without my Dr requesting them. I still have to make sure the
lab will let me, but assuming they'll do it. What tests do I ask for. I think, a a1c, insulin level, cholosterol, what else?

2- anywhere I can buy broth? I've never made it, don't even know where to get the bones without buying a load of meat. Can I use the boxed version, I know Dr Fung says not to, but how bad is it if I end up doing that?

Thanks in Advance,
Rem
  #1002   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 03:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Rem, have you been eating LC now for a while so you don't snack, maybe down to two meals a day? You don't have to jump in with a 36 hour fast to start, you could do 18, then the 24 hour eat dinner every night protocol Fung has in his Fasting Guidelines. Probably depends on your personality and your preparation, but you might consider working up to a longer fast if 36 is difficult at first.

Understand about the broth, I bought 2 knuckle bones from the farmers market yesterday but it will be days before I get around to making it. More often than not, I end up using a boxed broth. Organic, not low sodium, not low fat chicken or beef broth. Trader Joes or a Pacific Organic type from other stores. A homemade broth would have more fat and gelatin extracted from the bones, so I add the allowed 1T of coconut oil/day to it, maybe extra salt, and take a serving of gelatin that day (optional, good for joints though).

Are the blood tests he uses in his patient resources? If you want more help than this random group you found on the internet his long distance program is only about US$ 160 for a year. I use Direct Labs and am very happy with their service (there is a doctor at their company who in effect is "writing" your order, it usually ends up in your account within 30 minutes ) would only add a FBG to your list. Opportunity to check your glucometer against their result.

[EDIT: AHA. FOUND IT! The full list of blood tests are under the JOIN tab for patients who want his Long Distance program. Lists exactly what test to get at start and every three months. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/join/ ] ps: DirectLabs popular Comprehensive Wellness package for $99 picks up many of those Fung lists at once.

Goes without saying, monitor your BG very closely! Read the caution thread on this forum. Around my one meal on a fasting day, I take a few BG through the day, then pre-meal and some PP also. https://intensivedietarymanagement....-Guidelines.pdf

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Apr-12-15 at 14:20.
  #1003   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 08:54

In addition to their standard chicken and beef broths, I have recently found Pacific Foods organic bone broths at the grocery store. It comes in 3 flavors. I bought Chicken + Lemongrass. I haven't tried it yet, but when you shake it, it sounds much more solid than the regular chicken broth (I'm assuming because of gelatin) and the protein count is 9 g vs 6 g for the regular broth. It is $$$$. I think I paid $1.77 for an 8 oz box (vs 4 for $2.49 or $2.99 for the regular), but if it is the only thing you eat that day, it's not bad.

Yes, making your own bone broth is a time consuming undertaking but it is So Satisfying and So Delicious - quite a different animal than any broths or stocks I've made in the past. I make up 6 or so cups of very thick broth then freeze in plastic containers for later consumption.
  #1004   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 09:02
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
In addition to their standard chicken and beef broths, I have recently found Pacific Foods organic bone broths at the grocery store. It comes in 3 flavors. I bought Chicken + Lemongrass. I haven't tried it yet, but when you shake it, it sounds much more solid than the regular chicken broth .

Thank you so much. Since I order almost everything from amazon, I looked online:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...nic+bone+broths

Unfortunately for me, none of the bone broths are amazon prime (that's free shipping) and broth is heavy so I suppose I'll have to find in a local health food store. I'm really tired of making my own broths, but that's only because I'm lazy. I have the time.

Thanks again for the info.
  #1005   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 09:19

Glad I could help Glenda. Out of curiosity, I clicked on your Amazon links (I too am dependent on Amazon, living in a moderately remote area) and while they are not eligible for prime, they do offer free shipping. It's just not as fast as prime.

Maybe you can find it at your health or grocery store (I found mine on the natural foods aisle of my grocery store), try it and if you like it, order a case from Amazon, knowing it will take a while to arrive.
Closed Thread