Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1036   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-15, 08:16

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkor
This insulin index concept seems like it really could be a game changer!

Totally. Dr Fung's definition of type 2 is not high blood sugar, it is Insulin Resistance. High blood sugar is only a symptom. He believes in treating the disease, not the symptom. If you are not familiar the insulin theory, you too could benefit from watching all of Dr Fung's videos and reading all the blogs. Go to intensivedietarymanagement.com

Click on Lectures they are listed in reverse order (most recent is first). Go to the second page of the lectures, and scroll to the bottom to watch the first one. From there he links to subsequent ones. They get off to a bit of a slow start, are a bit repetitive at first, but as he gains his confidence, they are really wonderful. The blog posts cover the same territory but with a bit more detail and a chance to really study the charts and diagrams. Again, go back to the first blog posts and work your way into the present. He lays out a very convincing argument in a very easily comprehended way.

See you in a few days when you surface again.

Last edited by Liz53 : Tue, Apr-14-15 at 08:22.
Sponsored Links
  #1037   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-15, 09:06
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Instead of buying fattier cheeses, I find if I just add butter to cheddar, it takes less to satisfy me. I find five hundred calories of buttered cheese way more satisfying than five hundred calories of straight cheese.

I'm a retired chef and I'm still trying to visualize "buttered cheese." Makes me feel kinda goofy . I mean, do you just eat cheese and butter in the same mouthful or do you use a food processor or grater to mix them like pimento cheese? I'm really having a "duh" moment.

After you share your method and since you seem to really understand the science side of this, doesn't the addition of the butter also lower the insulinogenic effect of the cheese?
  #1038   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-15, 09:16

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 308/247.5/182 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hey All, thanks for the words of encouragement.

I dug up my old Journal and have begun adding some progress there so that I do not hijack this thread any more than I've already done so.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...471#post8996471
  #1039   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-15, 09:39
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I'm a retired chef and I'm still trying to visualize "buttered cheese." Makes me feel kinda goofy . I mean, do you just eat cheese and butter in the same mouthful or do you use a food processor or grater to mix them like pimento cheese? I'm really having a "duh" moment.

After you share your method and since you seem to really understand the science side of this, doesn't the addition of the butter also lower the insulinogenic effect of the cheese?

Slice cheese, spread butter on it, done.
  #1040   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-15, 12:04

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger

Yup, I just put butter on cheese and then I eat it. I think the butter will actually increase the amount of insulin secreted per gram of protein, just like it would with carbohydrate--but I end up eating less grams of protein, so it ends up being less insulinogenic in the end.

I've wondered if things would work as well if I put the cheese and butter through a food processor or something. If you take a mouse, and feed it carbohydrate, fat and protein separately, it's not fattening, and usually the mouse will choose a high-fat diet, depending on the strain. But if you make a high fat chow, with a little sugar, the animal gets fat. So what happens when an animal prefers fat--but isn't offered a pure fat source?
  #1041   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-15, 05:14

Plan: Bernstein, Fung, IF
Stats: 267/202/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Just noticed that the patient resource link is gone altogether this morning.
  #1042   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-15, 06:43

Plan: lchf + if
Stats: 230/169/130 Female 5' 5-1/2"
BF:

I am enjoying this thread, and excited by the new resources that have been pointed out here (that wonderful insulin index site). Thank you all for the resources and shared experiences. I've been doing IF since the beginning of April to break a stall and if I trust my scale have lost 12 pounds in 16 days. Today (fast day) I was hungry by 2:15 pm, but had some water and now feel "stuffed".
  #1043   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-15, 06:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Bummer. Could just be undergoing a temporary website revision. Have spent much of the past three days working on the (surprise for me) update of Apple iPhotos to Photos. Not happy at all, but used it as an opportunity to clean up, weed out files and old documents too. Attuned today to just how much time and maintenance is required for all these whizz-bang electronics we have now that were supposed to save us...time.
  #1044   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-15, 07:34

Plan: Bernstein, Fung, IF
Stats: 267/202/160 Female 65 inches
BF:

Was just looking at my weight charts and realized that with today's weight that I just met my first weight goal of a 10% weight loss since starting Dr Fung's principles on 1/21! This plus the last 7 days my average fasting blood glucose and the average of all my blood glucose is under 100 for the first time. Yuppee! Lab work probably next week if I can fit it in to my work day.
  #1045   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-15, 07:45

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Attuned today to just how much time and maintenance is required for all these whizz-bang electronics we have now that were supposed to save us...time.

Yeah, they said (way back when) that washing machines would be great time savers as well. Instead we went from washing sheets once a month to once a week.

I doubt the iPhoto to Photos "upgrade" will be as satisfactory an improvement. I opened iPhoto on one of my laptops last night, and yeah, up popped Photos. Could not find my library, but found the photo I needed in my iCloud library. I sincerely hope I can find everything I downloaded to my computer still resident there, as well as albums and slideshows. Call me a cynic, but so far it looks like these "improvements" are a way to get us to store our stuff on the cloud. More $$$ for Apple, more servers buzzing away in air-conditioned warehouses, less control for me. Don't get me started.....

Great job, Irishred!
  #1046   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-15, 09:28

I mightedly resisted "The Cloud" until in Yosemite the ability to sync bookmarks manually went away...and as you can tell, I live and die by my bookmarks.
Have no intention of storing my photos there, but it is only a matter of time they will force me somehow to use it for other than calendar, contacts and bookmarks.

And stupid me...I glanced at App updates, saw what looked like a simple Security update and clicked it. Turned out Photos was lurking within.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Apr-16-15 at 09:40.
  #1047   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-15, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivoine
I am enjoying this thread, and excited by the new resources that have been pointed out here (that wonderful insulin index site). Thank you all for the resources and shared experiences. I've been doing IF since the beginning of April to break a stall and if I trust my scale have lost 12 pounds in 16 days. Today (fast day) I was hungry by 2:15 pm, but had some water and now feel "stuffed".

Wow... 12 pounds in 16 days. speed! Where have you been Pivione? haven't "seen" you around. Hope you are feeling well and enjoying spring.. Tell us your secret to the rapid loss. That Insulin manifesto is quite the piece of work...note Dr. Fung's and many others praise of the content in the forward.

And congrats to IrishRed too!!
  #1048   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-15, 10:53

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishred15
Was just looking at my weight charts and realized that with today's weight that I just met my first weight goal of a 10% weight loss since starting Dr Fung's principles on 1/21! This plus the last 7 days my average fasting blood glucose and the average of all my blood glucose is under 100 for the first time. Yuppee! Lab work probably next week if I can fit it in to my work day.

You're doing great, pounds and BG both. It will be interesting to see what changes there are in your lab work.
  #1049   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-15, 11:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/186/140 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 39%

My BG meter arrived today!!! A few weeks ago I had an A1C of 6.9 when I had blood work done. When I first started LC my A1C was 7.5. Within a few months it dropped to 4.8. Stayed about there for some time. Late last year it began to rise again. I really need to get this sorted out. I DO NOT WANT TO BECOME T2.

so, I have questions about BG monitoring. I took my fasting BG this morning and it was 5.1. So a few weeks of IF seems to already be helping. My fundamental question - most of you report readings of 80-120. What unit of measurement is this in? Is my meter mmol/dl because I'm in Canada? Is there a way to calculate a comparison value? Should I even bother?

Also, should I just check BG in the mornings before I eat? I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of stabbing myself any more than necessary, but could see the benefit of testing often to see the effects of certain foods.

Sorry for these dumb questions....I would ask my doctor but she thinks I'm crazy to monitor BG before I'm even considered diabetic. I don't expect much assistance from her....
  #1050   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-15, 11:43
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamama
My BG meter arrived today!!! A few weeks ago I had an A1C of 6.9 when I had blood work done. When I first started LC my A1C was 7.5. Within a few months it dropped to 4.8. Stayed about there for some time. Late last year it began to rise again. I really need to get this sorted out. I DO NOT WANT TO BECOME T2.

so, I have questions about BG monitoring. I took my fasting BG this morning and it was 5.1. So a few weeks of IF seems to already be helping. My fundamental question - most of you report readings of 80-120. What unit of measurement is this in? Is my meter mmol/dl because I'm in Canada? Is there a way to calculate a comparison value? Should I even bother?

Also, should I just check BG in the mornings before I eat? I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of stabbing myself any more than necessary, but could see the benefit of testing often to see the effects of certain foods.

Sorry for these dumb questions....I would ask my doctor but she thinks I'm crazy to monitor BG before I'm even considered diabetic. I don't expect much assistance from her....

I think the conversion is mmol/dl multiplied by 18.
Closed Thread