Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-16, 20:09
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 465/355/230 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Cholestrol meds

Ive seen a few posts saying these cause issues, any thoughts
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-16, 20:48

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I think all meds cause issues and it's best to control cholesterol, blood pressure, sugar, etc. without all these medications if at all possible. Good timing. I had this conversation with my husband not an hour ago. He is very sensitive to all medications so rejects them after all the bad experiences. He did go on to add the flu vaccine, but I think that is fine and get it annually. It's not the same as a one time dead virus, but I guess who knows.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-16, 06:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You posted in the cholesterol sub-forum and only need to read back through threads on the first few pages that mention statins to find many reported side effects. Starting with the thread that was on top when you posted:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=474760

And: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467249

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=466506

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472900

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Nov-30-16 at 06:39.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-16, 09:39

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

My thoughts on cholesterol meds have changed. I thought I could control and reduce with diet. Nope, my LDL went way up on low carb with bad results. So now I have to take statins, no choice. High cholesterol is not harmless, not for me anyway.

I was against all prescription meds, especially statins. But each of us has to figure out what's best as individuals. We can't just dismiss something as bad for us because there are side effects. I had a heart attack last month, most likely due to, in part, my high cholesterol. It is a risk factor. I chose not to take statins and it was a mistake, for me anyway.

Most people on this board are against statins no matter what. Now I definitely believe there are some people who should take them. I have a family history of high cholesterol. I have a long history of being insulin resistant. Going low carb improved a lot of my numbers, except LDL. My weight is normal and I was feeling great, taking no meds...then the unexpected heart attack occurred. Now I am left wondering if I had taken statins would this have happened.

So I am no longer against statins. Some people should take them if there is prolonged and very high LDL cholesterol, especially if diet increases the LDL number. I had already been low carb for more than two years and my LDL was way too high, but I didn't think it would compromise my health like it did. Now I am taking quite a few prescription meds and will be for life. No choice.