Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-16, 10:09

Plan: Low carb, low gi
Stats: 210/159/154 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I have a new one. I recently met a wonderful lady, who actually researches PCOS. She discussed her own struggles with me at length, including the various medications she has taken without results. I gently mentioned the low-carb WOE and she said, "Oh I know about that, but that takes lifelong commitment"

So essentially, she's rather battle with doctors and medications than change her diet to manage a condition that is running/ruining her life.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 06:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrufrock
I have a new one. I recently met a wonderful lady, who actually researches PCOS. She discussed her own struggles with me at length, including the various medications she has taken without results. I gently mentioned the low-carb WOE and she said, "Oh I know about that, but that takes lifelong commitment"

So essentially, she's rather battle with doctors and medications than change her diet to manage a condition that is running/ruining her life.

In the words of Dr. Seuss, I am bamfoozled. Is this a belief in the Magic Pill, where once she find the right medication, she's cured?
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 07:47
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
... Is this a belief in the Magic Pill, where once she find the right medication, she's cured?

My mother is like that. She has always been one to go to the doctor for a pill of some sort for anything that ails her. When I tell her about the laundry list of health issues that this WOE has resolved, her response to many of the conditions I mentioned... "Oh, I take [drug xyz] for that."

One issue she started having several years ago was "leaky pipes" -- the sudden need to go and not always making it to the bathroom. There is a pill for that and she now takes it. Some time later she went on vacation and forgot to bring that prescription. She told me that she wet herself like an infant. She is totally dependent on the drug now for control. In recent years I was starting to have that leaky pipes issue, too. This WOE resolved it (along with about a dozen other conditions I was starting to have that they make a pill for).

I am 52 years old and my doctor is so impressed that I no longer take any regular prescriptions. The fact that she has that belief is actually pretty sad if you think about it. It is assumed that people will need the drugs as they get older.

Last edited by khrussva : Mon, Mar-28-16 at 12:10.
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 07:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva

I am 52 years old and my doctor is impressed that I don't take any regular prescriptions. The fact that she has that belief is actually pretty sad if you think about it. It is assumed that people will need the drugs as they get older.

The last time I saw my endocrinologist, he looked at my list, all of which but one are supplements, and the last is Armour thyroid, he commented about that, too.

It makes me really sad that the expectation is that we'll be on more and more meds as we age.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 09:04

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Ken and MickiSue - No prescription drugs here either. This shouldn't be an anomaly. I try not to think about all the things that are wrong with conventional medicine. It makes me too angry. Much of medicine, as it is practiced today, is iatrogenic. It's best to avoid as much of it as you possibly can.

Jean
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 10:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
My mother is like that. She has always been one to go to the doctor for a pill of some sort for anything that ails her. When I tell her about the laundry list if health issues that this WOE has resolved, her response to many of the conditions I mentioned... "Oh, I take [drug xyz] for that."

Well yes, that is the mindset, for both doctor and patient. But as your mother's regretful experience on vacation has shown, this attitude has implications far beyond the ridiculous cost of such an approach.

It also undermines our health further, I am convinced.

I used to be shocked and appalled by the side effects; now I am simply resigned. The list of side effects of almost any of these new drugs is long and, often, worse than the original complaint. But even more horrible than that is how they have started creating drugs which do not stop their side effects when the drug is stopped. Statins are the most common drug which can trigger dangerous and permanent side effects, but are far from the only ones.

The cases of Propecia and Accutane, taken for baldness and acne, respectively, are coming to light as the source of agonizing symptoms that can surface years after the drug is stopped. Men with Post-Propecia Syndrome lose all libido, ability to show or feel normal sexual arousal, the ability to experience pleasure of any kind (anhedonia) and severe muscle aches. Accutane can trigger a number of digestive disorders (people often lose feet of intestine) along with permanent dry eyes and other mucous membranes.

Dry eye sounds like a trivial complaint, but it is not. Drops only keep the worst of the symptoms at bay. Sufferers have trouble reading and sleeping, and it often triggers eye pain bad enough to induce suicide (as discussed in congressional testimony over the relatively unregulated LASIK eye surgery.)

If I ate like the rest of the nation, I would probably be on drugs for high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, and a non-existent "cholesterol" problem.

-----------
Also, Ken, congrats on being half the man you used to be! You learned, you focused, you did it!
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 20:21

Stats: 200/143/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

OK, so I know the conversation has changed but I couldn't wait to find this thread today to comment on the original post. Today I was discussing my way of eating with a diabetic man and when I told him that I keep all carbs to 20 grams or less a day, he reacted with a stunned "Wow!" Then he said "please eat more carbs than 20 grams a day. That is too low and you will damage your brain."
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 21:45

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

See, that just makes me mad. The CRAP they teach diabetics ought to land the ADA management in prison for contributing to the death of thousands of people from carbohydrate poisoning.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 05:39

Plan: Low carb, low gi
Stats: 210/159/154 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmergai
please eat more carbs than 20 grams a day. That is too low and you will damage your brain."

I'm in the final stages of a PhD. I have been low carb for 2 years, during which time I have taken (and passed!) a 220 book exam, learnt classical Sanskrit (my 7th language) and begun writing a 200 page dissertation.

I can assure your friend my brain is fine. If anything eating high carb was making me terribly sick and preventing me from working.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 07:53

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
In the words of Dr. Seuss, I am bamfoozled. Is this a belief in the Magic Pill, where once she find the right medication, she's cured?

I have a friend with debilitating asthma who has that mentality.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 07:55

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

You know how doctors are no longer allowed to own any interest in pharmacies? The ADA and the pharmaceutical industry ought to be prosecuted for the same kind of collusion.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 09:11

BF:

It's also a shame that more education isn't being done about hidden sugars. I mean, most diabetics know that a candy bar is taboo, but look at a can of Boston Baked Beans. You are getting about as much sugar as a King-Sized Twix bar. Look at yogurt, or so-called healthy cereal bars or cereal for that fact. I fear that many sabotage themselves by eating what they believe to be healthy. Of course, here, I am preaching to the choir. It's just sad.

I went to Target the other day and looked around at the other shoppers; not in a judging way, but just in a curious way. I never noticed it before but out of 25 shoppers or so, I only saw one person who might have had a healthy BMI. I can remember when being overweight was the exception, now it seems as though it is the norm. Of course I am included in that overweight crowd, so again, not judging, but I was one of those who believed I was eating well with yogurt, Belvita bars for breakfast and legumes... It wasn't until I read "Just Ride" by Grant Peterson that I realized how much sugar I was eating even while bypassing candy and cakes.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 11:47
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmergai
... I can remember when being overweight was the exception, now it seems as though it is the norm.

I had my annual doctor visit last Friday. My BMI is not in the normal range (and may never be), but for the first time in 29 years I was not obese. Of course my doctor was very happy about that. At one point in the examination she asked me to lay back and she started poking around my abdomen with there hands. She said gleefully and with a smile on here face "There is nothing here! Just look at that. Nothing!" I don't think she was talking about a tumor. Having a boatload of visceral fat and a protruding belly is the norm for people my age and my doctor was astonished to see how flat my belly now lies.

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Mar-29-16 at 12:02.
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-16, 06:08

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

^^ haha and congrats khrussva!

glimmergal- i am a type I diabetic and my "super health conscious college diet" was any type of fruit or veg (about 10 servings per day) but included corn, winter squash and sweet potato, mangoes, bananas, grapes, etc.....fatfree cheese and fatfree yogurt, beans, canned vegetable noodle soups, microwave popcorn, loads of fatfree dips, boca burgers on wholegrain pita bread, sf frozen yogurt, fiber one cereal with vanilla soymilk, and nutrigrain bars.
i was rail thin, but my blood sugars....ugh!

i discovered south beach late in senior year, thank goodness! And now 11 years later have awesome blood sugars and follow something closer to an atkins type plan.

my Dr has been very supportive of my diet- i am so lucky to have such a knowledgable guy. he is a type I himself

But yes the standard advice is to limit obvious sugars, but just "correct" for carbs in all the healthy fruit, whole grains and fatfree dairy you eat. aargh....

Last edited by Robin120 : Wed, Mar-30-16 at 06:15.
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-16, 10:21

BF:

Khrussva,

That is incredible and you are a rockstar to me. I have to admit, when you first commented on my post, I was a little star-struck, like OMG Khrussva commented on MY post! Squee. You have had so much success and your doctor should absolutely be thrilled for your progress. Everytime I think I miss having croissants or pasta, I just think, " ya know... it isn't worth it. What IS worth it is that Cat Suit I am going to look awesome wearing in October " Plus the extra energy I have for my toddler, plus my health and fun clothes and the fact that my knees won't ache when climbing stairs and I can wear high heels again. That is going to be SO much better than a croissant!