Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 20:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

See, I would never tell her she couldn't do it. I'd tell her, well, it's challenging, that's for sure, but the benefits are definitely worth it.

Let her decide what she can and cannot do.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 22:08

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
See, I would never tell her she couldn't do it. I'd tell her, well, it's challenging, that's for sure, but the benefits are definitely worth it.

Let her decide what she can and cannot do.

Yeah, I bet she could do it! Even eating out is possible on an LC lifestyle.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-15, 09:45

Plan: IR Diet framework, LC
Stats: 310/288/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

And sometimes people CAN give up some carb here and there. Even bringing it down from 300 carbs/day to 150 is going to show some improvement in inflammation and glucose readings.

I had this discussion with my best friend, who is diabetic and on disability insurance. She said she knows she shouldn't eat so much starch, but it's cheap and filling. So I shared some of my tricks, like making a stew to serve to my family over rice or noodles (not IN the stew) and then serving mine over a bed of spinach or cauliflower (cheap when purchased frozen). I made "zoodles" from zucchini, and zucchini pancakes, and she loved them. So I'm hopeful that she can make some minor changes on her way to more major ones.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-15, 11:00

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

The thing is, kicking the carb addiction is hard enough when going cold turkey like many of us but it's over in about 3 days.

When they are still consuming carbs at a high rate, it keeps calling their name as soon as the blood sugar drops when the carbs burn out.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-15, 12:20

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrufrock
I'm going to ahead and say her response is typical of many of the Indians I met when I went back this summer. They can't believe it if someone eats/lives/breathes differently from them. Ironically, India is a hugely diverse country with a wide range of region and faith based eating habits.
One of Dr. Fung's recent blog posts told how he was contacted via email by a doctor in India and how they jointly devised an eating plan for one of the Indian doctor's patients - which got him off all medications. Most of the comments are from Indians too - many of whom have improved their health on a LCHF diet, so some of them are getting out the word. See: https://intensivedietarymanagement....rofile-hansraj/
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-15, 13:59

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
The thing is, kicking the carb addiction is hard enough when going cold turkey like many of us but it's over in about 3 days.

When they are still consuming carbs at a high rate, it keeps calling their name as soon as the blood sugar drops when the carbs burn out.

This best describes what I meant. She is one of those I am on a diet people, then falls to peer pressure cause she is the type that does not want her family to think she is not at the top of her status.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-15, 20:12

Plan: Low carb, low gi
Stats: 210/159/154 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
One of Dr. Fung's recent blog posts told how he was contacted via email by a doctor in India and how they jointly devised an eating plan for one of the Indian doctor's patients - which got him off all medications. Most of the comments are from Indians too - many of whom have improved their health on a LCHF diet, so some of them are getting out the word. See: https://intensivedietarymanagement....rofile-hansraj/

This is very interesting and I'm very glad. Thanks for sharing.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-15, 03:52

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrufrock

3. "Eww. Are you really going to eat that?" Fast food check out person on seeing my salad with high fat dressing, avocado and eggs.

4. "Wow you're really eating a lot today." Server at sushi restaurant, when I got three orders of sashimi and a big salad.

Don't even get me started on what male Indian servers had to say to me when I was visiting my family these last two summers!

I've never heard anything like that.
If I did, though...I've been sensitive since childhood about comments about my food. I just hate people commenting on it!

Usually it's well meaning enough, and I'm the one who ends up being rude.
For example I have had cashiers at the grocery store ask "having a movie night?" when they noticed I was buying popcorn and soda (back when I bought those things!). I shrugged non-committally, and refrained from saying what I really wanted to which was "None of your business! Why can't you just ring up the stuff and leave me alone?!"

If a server said I was eating a lot or asked "are you actually going to eat that??"...I know myself and I know I'd probably look at them like I wanted to kill them, and would definitely storm out.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-15, 12:35

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

this thread is hilarious, but alo heartbreaking- i want to kick in some teeth for you all!

1. the serious: as a thin child, my mo would order me a diet coke in restaurants, because i have type I diabetes. On several occasions gave me regular soda (maybe by mistake), but also some did it intentionally thinking WTF is wrong with the woman ordering a skinny kid a diet?

2. my one and ONLY visit to a wafflehouse, the guy brought me what tasted like a regular soda. when i explained i'm diabetic, can he please bring me a new one just to be safe.....he came back several times giggling- "I just can't remember." After round 3 i lost my patience, and said how serious this was. My obviously stoned waiter said "please, you are not diabetic." I stood up, lifting my tank top to show him my insulin pump in my stomach, in the middle of the restaurant.
Never again, Awful House!

3. during a hospital stay, i was admitted late at night- so my breakfast was selected for me. it was a cup of orange juice, a waffle, and wait for it!---sf maple syrup (as i was flagged diabetic diet). i obviously didn't eat a bite, so my nurse was concerned (I was underweight from illness and on orders to gain ASAP), so when i explained why- she immediately called (closed) kitchen and insisted they reopen and make me eggs

on, and on.....it never ends
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Nov-24-15, 09:23

Plan: Low carb, low gi
Stats: 210/159/154 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I have a new peeve. Now that I have become visibly fit because of the woe and strength training, lots of people want to know what I did. They especially ask me about arms and abs: I really doubt I could have achieved the results I did without low carb.

But when I tell them, they say in horror, "oh I can't do that!" "I just love my pasta". Then why ask?

I'm all for people loving their bodies but serious results require serious change. Everyone wants an easy way out but Michelle Obama arms.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-15, 11:56

Plan: Atkins /Paleo
Stats: 238/204/176 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

1) All that fat is going to clog your arteries.
2) Bacon and eggs??? Think about your cholesterol.
etc..
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Dec-26-15, 11:22

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Late to the party, but had a semi-positive interaction with a cardiologist lately. Got referred to the guy for issues nothing to do with lipids or diet or anything. He did however, ask me if I was on any special eating regimen and I of course promptly said, "low carb". (Looking back, I wish I'd said "High fat, low carb"). He didn't make any comment but did put in an order for a lipid panel, naturally.

He also went on about fiber, and eating lots of fruit and vegetables. I said I don't eat much fruit at all, but lots of veggies. Response was along the lines of fruit is good for you, I said "Too much sugar". I think that took him aback, but then he handed me the DASH diet. Now I know the DASH diet includes grains and beans and stuff, I immediately said "Oh, no, I'm can't do DASH, I don't eat grains." I'm not sure what he thought of that.
I decided not to get into it with him on fiber and salt, the appointment was running too long anyway.

BTW, lipid panel came back stellar, high HDL, low trigs, blah blah. Total was 208, so I'm hoping to avoid a statin/cholesterol fight when I see him in February. Who knows, though. I could tell he did favor statins in general.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Dec-26-15, 12:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Point out to him that the BEST range for avoiding heart attack is between 200-250. Heart attack risk rises both above AND below that.

He'll either a)be impressed that you knew that or b)tell you you're wrong or c)have to look that up or d)all of the above.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-16, 08:46

Plan: Atkins, LC, LCHF
Stats: 210/197/158 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 25%

Yesterday on my way home I met an older woman who asked me which tram she has to choose to get to X. I told her which one and anyhow we started a conversation. She told me about her husband who has gained a lot of weight and is struggeling with his big belly.

I recommended a LC Diet and she looked at me as if I she'd heard that for the first time. I tried to explain it to her as fast as I could, because she only wanted to go for 5 stops, so her reaction was predictable: "He loves to eat marmelade", "What shall he eat then in the evening if not bread?", "He loves chocolate", "But so much fat isn't good", "what? Only protein and fat? No rice, noodles, potatoes, french fries"...etc. blablabla

Well, I tried to do my best and told her "just try it. You can get so much information provided on the internet" and so on. The funny thing was that the ears of the woman sitting nearby were as big as the leaves of a pieplant
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-16, 09:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I try not to preach, but http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf Has a simple explanation I share if someone is truly interested. The German language version is a short web address, easy to remember, even for the listener.
http://lchf.de