Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 10:02

Plan: Low carb, low gi
Stats: 210/159/154 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Things others have said about your LC lifestyle

I wanted to start a thread to ask you what are some of others have said to you about your food choices, ranging from funny to rude, so we can have a good laugh together. Here are some of mine.

1. "So you're eating zero carb? You'll need to have sugar when you're pregnant, you know." - recently pregnant friend who really wants me to be pregnant at the same time (?) I actually eat around 80g carbs a day.

2. "But why don't you eat whatever you want and just take insulin?" - friend who hates vegetables and lives on pasta and potatoes. He's pre-diabetic but refusing to change his diet, much to his wife's chagrin.

3. "Eww. Are you really going to eat that?" Fast food check out person on seeing my salad with high fat dressing, avocado and eggs.

4. "Wow you're really eating a lot today." Server at sushi restaurant, when I got three orders of sashimi and a big salad.

Don't even get me started on what male Indian servers had to say to me when I was visiting my family these last two summers!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 12:33

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow, those are pretty good! I apparently live in a part of the country that is pretty progressive, and paleo, gluten-free, locavore, and other types of diets are very common. Every one in my family is on some type of modified diet. People really don't bat an eye when I say I'm low-carb, but it usually doesn't come up, because I don't bring it up. Unless they are trying to push some desserty thing or drink on me, in which case I just say I'm avoiding sugar.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 12:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I'm way past caring what other people think of my way of eating - I joke about it myself sometimes when I eat a huge slice of brie with a bag of pork scratchings/rinds and colleagues at work look. Yeah, yeah, I'm on a weird diet, but it makes me work faster lol! I'm known for it - in fact last christmas, people bought me pork scratchings/rinds and bottles of diet coke (another one of my addictions)

Jo xxx
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 13:30

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

No one ever says a word to me. I mean, after all this time, most people know sugar and sugary stuff like orange juice is bad for you. But they eat it anyway and make excuses which is fine with me.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 13:54
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Ordinarily, I'm alone when I eat, so no prob. Last summer when I was on my Texas Farewell Tour, my standard line was, "I'm fasting today." That way I could go without eating anything for people to disapprove. The people I used that line on just looked stunned, as if they must have heard me wrong. The idea of NOT EATING just doesn't occur to them.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 14:32

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
The idea of NOT EATING just doesn't occur to them
Oh, I'm sure the thought has occured, it is just a WIERD, SCARY thing that only prisoners at Guantanamo do. Surely you will starve or faint right in front of them. Very few people know that I fast, too hard to try and explain that one, especially as I work outdoors very hard.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 18:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

The only one who seems fazed by it is my next door neighbor. Even though she's seen me eat many times, her question, each time it comes up, is, "But what do you eat?"

She's Hindu, and, while she eats some meat, she's mostly vegetarian. So the idea of not having beans and lentils, etc, is crazy out there to her.

Her husband told me one time that he'd done Atkins for about 6 months, but she was so worried that he'd get sick that he quit. He's actually slender; was doing it for his health, so it's too bad, really.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 19:21

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

I tell people I am diabetic and cannot have any carbs. Most people accept it.
I have one funny anecdote We went to Outback and I told the waitress to take the bread but leave the butter, and ask for extra butter for my broccoli. Later I went to the restroom and I overheard her telling that is no wonder I was so fat, I was eating more butter then broccoli. I wonder if she had figured out why her tip was so stingy.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 23:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue

She's Hindu, and, while she eats some meat, she's mostly vegetarian. So the idea of not having beans and lentils, etc, is crazy out there to her.

Incidentally, I'm Hindu-Indian too but my family never obeyed religion based dietary restrictions. This has made my life infinitely easier today.

I'm going to ahead and say her response is typical of many of the Indians I met when I went back this summer. They can't believe it if someone eats/lives/breathes differently from them. Ironically, India is a hugely diverse country with a wide range of region and faith based eating habits.

If she's ever rude to you, feel free to tell India is slated to have the most diabetics of any county by 2020. There are consequences for thinking potatoes are vegetables.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 23:35

Plan: Was Paleo...now Zero Carb
Stats: 270/213/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljohnw
I have one funny anecdote We went to Outback and I told the waitress to take the bread but leave the butter, and ask for extra butter for my broccoli. Later I went to the restroom and I overheard her telling that is no wonder I was so fat, I was eating more butter then broccoli. I wonder if she had figured out why her tip was so stingy.

I would have stopped, tapped her on the shoulder, and asked her for her manager....NOW! But then again, I have no problem going after people. ;-)

-----------

When I first started eating GF, I was constantly asked, "But what will you eat?" Um...food. You know....meat, chicken, vegetables, fruit... Duh! Wonder what they would say now, now that I'm staying off of veggies and languishing in proteins and fats. HA! But no one can deny how much better I've been feeling and looking since starting in about a week and a half ago.

Anne K.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-19-15, 08:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrufrock
Incidentally, I'm Hindu-Indian too but my family never obeyed religion based dietary restrictions. This has made my life infinitely easier today.

I'm going to ahead and say her response is typical of many of the Indians I met when I went back this summer. They can't believe it if someone eats/lives/breathes differently from them. Ironically, India is a hugely diverse country with a wide range of region and faith based eating habits.

If she's ever rude to you, feel free to tell India is slated to have the most diabetics of any county by 2020. There are consequences for thinking potatoes are vegetables.

No, she's never rude. She's one of the sweetest people I know. This past summer, she spent so much time, patiently interacting with Grandson from afar, until he was ready to let her hold him, and would sit on her lap. I would call it a failure of imagination, more than anything.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-19-15, 08:56

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljohnw
I tell people I am diabetic and cannot have any carbs. Most people accept it.

Hahahaha you caught her! That is hilarious.
I had the same type of thing with a waitress not understanding, luckily she was fat too! I had her take away the complimentary plate of fried thingies and mentioned we were on a diet, but when the main food came I asked for butter for the veggies. She had a perplexed look on her face. when she came back with the butter I explained we were on low carb. She asked what's on it, I replied meat and veggies and butter. Her response was, not bread or potato, oh no I can't live without those. Well she was fater than me and also 25 years younger....I was Just thinking of what she'll be like when she reaches my age.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 06:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
She asked what's on it, I replied meat and veggies and butter. Her response was, not bread or potato, oh no I can't live without those.

A lot of people say this to me too, "oh I could never do it". I never really know what to do with this information. Congratulations, here's a potato?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 06:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1

She asked what's on it, I replied meat and veggies and butter. Her response was, not bread or potato, oh no I can't live without those.

My answer to that one is always; "I know what you mean, addiction is a problem. I'm like that with cigarettes, I cant live without those" (sad but true???)

Jo xxx
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 15:15

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

I have a mother-in-law that is always trying to lose weight, drink wine like it's water, and loves pasta, bread, and other things.

She is always saying that she needs to do what I am doing, and I always tell her she would not make it three days. I told her that she needs to give up, bread, no eating out (they do this all the time) most of the wine but not every drop, and sugar, fried food or anything with sugar.

She gave the old "oh I can do that". I wanted to tell her this is the reason why she has all her problems, and can't sleep.