Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 11:37

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Mom Jeans and Body Image

This comparison of jeans is so eye opening that every time I need a new pair, I review this again like a refresher course on dos and don'ts.

Back away from the Mom Jeans .............

http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/07/gap.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 14:31

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
This comparison of jeans is so eye opening that every time I need a new pair, I review this again like a refresher course on dos and don'ts.

Back away from the Mom Jeans .............

http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/07/gap.html

I have long loved this blog post. I am in a mom jean phase due to being an awkward size. It's ugly but it's happening.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 17:35

BF:

My best pair of jeans that look like the good ones in the pic with smaller pockets and the creases in all of the right places actually make me look like I've lost 20 more lbs.
It's amazing and it's not all in my head because I've noticed that when I wear them I actually get lots of double takes from the fellows...

I donated several pairs of those jeans that turn baggy in 20 minutes which did nothing for me.
Check out her pics of those types.

Next time I go shopping I'm bringing a rear view mirror.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Fri, Dec-11-15 at 00:39.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 21:50

BF:

Does anyone have any jeans suggestions for an apple shape (no butt, big gut, tiny legs) in a size 18. I'd like a skinny jean.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 22:41

BF:

Do what I do and try on 10 pairs at a time because they all fit so differently as these pictures show.
Some of her descriptions help a lot such as pockets that end not to short but not too long either which makes the butt look flat.
I think that the embellishments on the pockets help add more volume in the butt area too.
And a mirror to look at the rear would sure help.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 00:17

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

And for the guys reading this, my advice is: take a girl with you to evaluate the jeans you're buying.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 08:39

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

great article- and when you finally find the right pair, buy a couple!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 11:31

Plan: LCHF/Keto
Stats: 162/116.6/117 Female 61 inches
BF:30.6%/22.0%/22.1%
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Does anyone have any jeans suggestions for an apple shape (no butt, big gut, tiny legs) in a size 18. I'd like a skinny jean.
If you find the right pair of jeans, they will make your butt look better. If you will notice in more than one of her side-by-side photos of bad vs. good jeans, the bad jeans make her look like she has no butt. Even if you physically have less of a butt than some, the right jeans can make it look better.

I've been teaching my teenage girls for years to always, ALWAYS look at their butts in jeans they try on, and not to get jeans with the huge pockets that go way down below their butts. Those ginormous pockets just flatten your butt and are all-around unsightly.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 11:47
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:

Janine, I noticed some links at the bottom of that article to other posts on the same blog about fitting jeans. Check out the photos and suggestions on this page .. http://www.graspingforobjectivity.c...ized-denim.html
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 19:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Janine, I noticed some links at the bottom of that article to other posts on the same blog about fitting jeans. Check out the photos and suggestions on this page .. http://www.graspingforobjectivity.c...ized-denim.html

I read that, too, but it's from 2012 so I though it might be out of date... I might try Torrid though I've never ordered from there because the sizing intimidates me.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-16, 19:28

BF:

Quote:
I read that, too, but it's from 2012 so I though it might be out of date... I might try Torrid though I've never ordered from there because the sizing intimidates me.

I just checked Torrid the other day and every single pair is $60!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 09:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I remembered LC had a mom jeans thread...adding humor writer, Celia Rivenbark's take on them: http://celiarivenbark.com/2016/02/s...-the-mom-jeans/

Quote:
I didn’t see the label until I got my new “mom jeans” home from the store. All I knew was that, after a stressful hour in the dressing room, they were the only jeans that came close to fitting AND I could sit down in them without that unpleasant “biscuits popping out of a can” thing going on above my backside.
Which means a lot at my stage in life.

But back to the label. It said: “Heritage fit, classic rise.”

OK, heritage makes me feel approximately 8,000 years old. Apparently these are the same jeans Dolly Madison wore when it was her turn to drive in the travel soccer carpool. But, wait, it was the phrase “classic rise” that finished me off and sent me reeling to the fridge for a glass of Pinot Grigio (122 calories per 5-ounce glass, which is funny because who drinks just five ounces?) “Classic rise” is a gentler way of saying “genuine mom jeans.” Yes, the real deal, complete with a big, long zipper that extends all the way up to my armpits, or feels like it anyway.

For years, I have purposely not bought roomy, stretchy, stay-in-place mom jeans because to do so would be to “act my age,” a metaphorical hoisting of the big white granny panty flag of surrender. Nope, not me. I only bought jeans with the low-rise label (see canned biscuits above) and while I was completely miserable most of the time, I reasoned it was a small price to pay.

My new mom jeans are labeled “ultra stretch,” “exceptional stretch” and “ultimate slimming effect.” What can I tell you? Hyperbole isn’t just a river in Egypt. But I fell for it. Hook, line and slimming effect. They move with me as I go about my day, which can now include TV commercial activities for women of a certain age like walking along the beach with a cardigan knotted at my neck, buying big bunches of flowers while happily chatting with the staff at the corner flower market and sitting in a copper tub out in a field. Wait. You have to take your mom jeans off for that last one.

While my new jeans scream “She has bone density issues!” I can’t deny how much I love them. I’m wearing them right this minute and they are like a second skin. Which is great news since my first skin has also started showing its age. I’d love to say I have “laugh lines” but that would imply that people now smile with their upper chests and knees.

I wish I’d bought these jeans earlier. Last week at a basketball game, I spent half the game worrying that each time I sprang from my seat, I would leave my pants behind. Stand, applaud, hike up jeans, sit, repeat. At game’s end, I was more exhausted than the players.
And to the guy sitting behind me: I’m sorry you had to see that.