Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-16, 12:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrufrock
Everyone wants an easy way out but Michelle Obama arms.

Worthy of being embroidered on a pillow!

I think people ask because they hope you bought something in a drug store That they can do!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-16, 21:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Maybe it's just my little world, but increasingly I don't discuss LC with people, even if I know them well. Generally people don't seem to get it right away when I talk about being "grain-free." There just doesn't seem to be much awareness of the health benefits.

It seems along with the trends in veganism, bread is still very popular. And if you start talking LC and cutting out grains, you hit the hurdle of -- as mentioned above -- I (he, they) could never give up bread!

I also get the odd looks or comments -- you sure seem to eat a lot of meat!

The men's health magazines I think still get the message out about LC, and male relatives and friends who are into bodybuilding seem to have the highest consciousness about low-carbing and the health benefits.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-16, 22:13

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I mentioned this upthread. But I've talked about this WOE a hundred times with my neighbor. Who is a very intelligent woman. And, every time, she asks the same question, "But what do you eat?"

The idea of eating one side of the food equation (although, given that we need to process grains in order to be able to eat them, not sure it's fair to call them "food") is just so foreign to some people that they cannot wrap their brains around it.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-16, 22:39

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazia
Maybe it's just my little world, but increasingly I don't discuss LC with people, even if I know them well. Generally people don't seem to get it right away when I talk about being "grain-free." There just doesn't seem to be much awareness of the health benefits.

It seems along with the trends in veganism, bread is still very popular. And if you start talking LC and cutting out grains, you hit the hurdle of -- as mentioned above -- I (he, they) could never give up bread!

I also get the odd looks or comments -- you sure seem to eat a lot of meat!

The men's health magazines I think still get the message out about LC, and male relatives and friends who are into bodybuilding seem to have the highest consciousness about low-carbing and the health benefits.

I completely agree Pazia, most people just don't get it.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 07:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I think the US culture has been propagandized into a Fear of Meat.

All around me, parents won't feed their children meat unless it is hidden in a wheat wrapper. A pasta dinner is the height of healthy. The sight of actual meat lying on a plate (unless it is some dry chicken breast, which is "safe",) triggers some kind of fear reaction. I've seen it.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 13:12

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I agree about the propagandizing. There have been sensational documentaries about the meat industry, and eating meat has also been associated with "loving animals." And reinforced by labeling, processed foods, and doses of sugar to make weird, vegan-ish foods more palatable.

But I still believe (contrary to reams of vegan counter-proofs) that it's instinctual to eat meat (though not a necessity). It seems so strange that so many people are overriding their natural instincts or desires for meat and settle for much less nutritious fare.

I was shocked to find out recently that two family members, both middle-aged (and always on the thin/wiry side, with perhaps a bit of weight gain as they've gotten older) are now devoted to eating vegan diets with encouragement from their doctors. Their cholesterol and blood pressure have always been high, and they're encouraged to stay vegan now because it's helping their "numbers" improve. They're totally committed to it and it seems worrisome to me, but somehow I seem like the one who's freakish because I'm "paleo" (my own code word for LC) and eat plenty of meat (with fat on it)!
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 17:27

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I think the US culture has been propagandized into a Fear of Meat.

I have always thought that the phrase "red meat", in particular scares people because red is associated with, you know, murder, communism, the devil, etc. Sometimes I wonder if that association is exploited somewhat.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 17:42

BF:

There are so many children since the 90s, tainted to the point that they will not eat meat with a bone in it, much less skin. It's pretty sad.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 17:44

Plan: Carb Nite Solution
Stats: 22/14/06 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've been told I'm going to weigh another hundred pounds from all the meat I eat. LOL. My favorite though was being told I'm so unhealthy eating fat when the talker was puffing on a cigarette . I just smile. Different strokes for different folks !!!
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 20:43

Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%

I once told a lady I worked with that I was following LCHF diet and she tsked at me. It was an actual tsk!

A few weeks later, there was a cold going around the office (it was December in Canada!) and I caught a little bit of a sniffle, not a full blown cold and I heard her tell another co-worker that it was my diet making me so ill. I had the freaking sniffles!

So when we were all in the lunchroom together, I made the comment to the 3 other people that were sick, that I hadn't realized they were following LCHF as well, because that is what Sharon said was making me sick. They laughed and Sharon went all red and didn't talk to me for like a week.

I am now 50+ pounds lighter and have been sick once with a slight case of the sniffles. If LCHF is the cause, then I will gladly accept the consequences of my unhealthy eating.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 20:47

They laughed and Sharon went all red and didn't talk to me for like a week.

I bet that broke your heart!
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 21:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakz1269
I once told a lady I worked with that I was following LCHF diet and she tsked at me. It was an actual tsk!

A few weeks later, there was a cold going around the office (it was December in Canada!) and I caught a little bit of a sniffle, not a full blown cold and I heard her tell another co-worker that it was my diet making me so ill. I had the freaking sniffles!

So when we were all in the lunchroom together, I made the comment to the 3 other people that were sick, that I hadn't realized they were following LCHF as well, because that is what Sharon said was making me sick. They laughed and Sharon went all red and didn't talk to me for like a week.

I am now 50+ pounds lighter and have been sick once with a slight case of the sniffles. If LCHF is the cause, then I will gladly accept the consequences of my unhealthy eating.

You caught her Too funny.
Sometimes people who are so snarky get punished when it turns around and bites them....
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 06:33

Plan: Low carb, low gi
Stats: 210/159/154 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I find it curious that the vegans I know hardly eat vegetables! They appear to subsist mostly on bread, bread products, pasta and potatoes.

Unsurprisingly, none of them are thin. Granted that this is not a marker of health but I don't see how one can live mainly on carbs.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 10:02

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

jakz1269-

meme- i also worry about how far removed people are now to how the food is made. let's look at the chocolate chip cookies grandma baked and went stale i days, compared to the shelf life of an oreo

mprufrock- i teach exercise science in a very liberal university, so i have loads of "pastatarian" students. From personal experience, i was vegetarian for 14 years and when i started eating fish, chicken and turkey- i got sick less often and made bigger gains from strength training. I was not overweight as a veg, but i have always payed close attention to eating healthfully, so it was loads of vegetables and fruits, beans and hummus, fat free dairy, and some popcorn/nutrigrain bars/ canned vegetable soup/and some veggy burgers/ bran cereal and subway veggy subs.....so basically very few calories for a very active high school/ college girl.
My hair, nails and skin are also healthier!

years after college, my old boyfriend from school told me when he used to have "guy's night" the reason he always was home by 10 (we had apartments in the same building, so we essentially lived together) was because he was almost always just going to get a pizza! He was starving and didn;t want to hurt my feelings
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-16, 10:13

Not only baked goods with preservatives in them.

With produce, it's the opposite. Buy lettuce, especially the bags of "baby" greens at the grocery store, and you'll be lucky if they are still edible when you get them home from the store. At multiple times between the field and your house, they were not refrigerated, and it was probably a long time between the field and the bag. Even worse, between the bag and the store. A couple weeks, at least, usually.

Pick baby greens in your own garden, or even a big pot on your deck, and they'll be in the frig, after a light rinse, within the hour.

They'll last for the two weeks it took the bagged stuff to get to your grocery store, and then some, because you have controlled the environment, the entire way.

Of course, as they taste 100X better than the grocery baby greens, they'll never need to last that 2 weeks.