Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 04:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default The Diabetes Summit, March 23-30, 2015

Another FREE on-line seminar on Diabetes, hosted again by Dr Brian Mowll.
If you haven't signed up for one of these summits before, you can listen to one hour interviews with experts, usually 4-5 different topics for 24-48 hours free access, then they come down, replaced with next 5 interviews. If you can keep up with them, you can listen to every expert interview for free, or buy copies of the entire series (how host covers his costs, I have yet to buy any of the many summits I have singed up for). Presenters do this for the PR, but He's a good interviewer, it includes many of my favorites, and they have added Dr Jason Fung this year!

Some of the experts:

Dr Richard Bernstein
Dr Jason Fung
Dr Tom O'Bryan
Dr David Perlmutter

Note: some of the experts are vegetarian, it covers a wide spectrum of healthier lower carb ways to manage diabetes. Some of the free recipes are not Very Low Carb, but nutrition facts inc. with all of them.

Click to see all speakers, and to register for free: http://thediabetessummit.com

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jan-26-15 at 05:11.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 05:19
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

I signed up for it and if you do you get the cookbook from the 2014 conference, not all recipes are low carb but surprisingly most are. Should be interesting.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 09:20

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Thanks, Janet. I signed up as well. It's a great list of speakers. Now to find the time to listen to all of them (except maybe Fuhrman) in the 8 days.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-15, 10:49

Received an update from Mark Sisson that his talk is being released tomorrow as a "Sneak Peak" of the summit:

Quote:
Just a friendly note to let you know that my 2015 Diabetes World Summit interview is being released tomorrow, March 9th, as a “sneak peek” to the event that begins at large on March 23. My presentation is on the Primal Blueprint eating and lifestyle plan and how it naturally stabilizes your blood sugar levels and helps to reverse insulin resistance and diabetes.

The Summit is all online and all FREE, so I really hope that you’ll join me, along with 39 other expert presenters who break down everything you need to know about diabetes (both types), prediabetes and how to control out-of-whack blood sugar levels.

Register for free and you’ll learn:

• Causes of type 1 and type 2 diabetes
• Preventing and stopping the progression of diabetes
• 10 most important things to help reverse type 2 diabetes
• Optimal diet to prevent, control and reverse type 2 diabetes
• Most effective forms of exercise for optimal blood sugar control
• Special information for Type 1 Diabetes management and care

I’ll be joined by world-renowned health and wellness experts such as:

• Richard Bernstein, MD, world-famous diabetologist and author
• David Perlmutter, MD; author of Grain Brain
• Joel Fuhrman, MD, author of The End of Diabetes
• Sara Gottfried, MD, author of The Hormone Cure
• Franziska Sprizler, RD, CDE, The Low Carb Dietitian
• Craig Ballantyne, creator of Turbulence Training for Fat Loss
• Michael Murray, ND, author of How to Prevent and Treat Diabetes with Natural Medicine

There’s still time to register, and they’re throwing in some freebies:

• Free Gift #1: Best Of The 2014 Summit Recipe Book, a collection of amazing, low carb, diabetes-friendly recipes from the 2014 Diabetes World Summit speakers
• Free Gift #2: Do Calories Matter? (Audio-only presentation) with Cassie Bjork, RD
• Free Gift #3: Reversing Type 2 Diabetes with an Optimal Diet and Lifestyle (Audio-only presentation) with Dr. Josh Axe
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-15, 16:18

Plan: Bernstein, Fung, IF
Stats: 267/202/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Janet, thanks for the heads up regarding the sneak peak. I have signed up but wonder how many I will actually be able to fit in. Maybe if I can get one in before leaving for work in am, lunch and/or evening after helping with homework.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-15, 05:29

Depending on the slides provided by the speaker, and how good a presentation, you may not have to "watch" it...listening is enough ...like a podcast. Summits often do a "bonus weekend best of the talks"...the top five or so that get the most interest are replayed at end. And not all will be of interest/skip the vegans /or someone you have heard before/etc. Even if I only have time for Dr Fung and a few others, it was "worth the cost". If the host sends too many sales pitches after, hit that unsubscribe button (though Brian Mowell did not)
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 09:27

I Just finished watching Mark Sisson's sneak peak...excellent as always. He was the first exposure to "Paleo" for me, I still consider him the best for communicating the basic ideas of real food, healthy carb levels, etc. Around 38 minutes, he gives his simple explanation of "physiological insulin resistance" (without calling it that) and why he does not support being in ketosis continuously long term. Then when explaining why whey protein can be good for even diabetics, Brian Mowell brought up "the second meal effect" that your BG reaction is more muted if you had some calories earlier in the day. Apparently Dr Fung doesn't think it that important, or maybe some broth and cream takes care of it. There are two other freebie audios with the summit I haven't heard yet, will Listen to them now.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Mar-10-15 at 17:10.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 14:55

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I Just finished watching Mark Sisson's sneak peak...excellent as always. He was the first exposure to "Paleo" for me, I still consider him the best for communicating the basic ideas of real food, healthy carb levels, etc. Around 38 minutes, he gives his simple explanation of "physiological insulin resistance" (without calling it that) and why he does not support being in ketosis continuously long term. Then when explaining why whey protein can be good for even diabetics, Brian Mowell brought up "the second meal effect" that your BG reaction is more muted if you had some calories earlier in the day. Apparently Dr Fung doesn't think it that important, or maybe some broth and cream takes care of it. There are two other freebie audits with the summit I haven't heard yet, will Listen to them now.

I signed up, but can't seem to find the Mark Sisson sneak peak. Could you post a link?

TIA.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 17:10

After you sign up, should get a welcome email with recipe pdf and Josh Axe's audio interview, also good.
But here it is.http://video.thediabetessummit.com/...Mark_Sisson.mp4
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 18:28

Plan: Bernstein, Fung, IF
Stats: 267/202/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Just finished the presentation. I have not read the Primal Blueprint so found presentation interesting especially his exercise philosophy. Looking forward to the other material to come.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 01:15

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
After you sign up, should get a welcome email with recipe pdf and Josh Axe's audio interview, also good.
But here it is.http://video.thediabetessummit.com/...Mark_Sisson.mp4

Thanks for the link, Janet. (I've received my email now. Don't know why it was late.)
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 02:52

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishred15
Just finished the presentation. I have not read the Primal Blueprint so found presentation interesting especially his exercise philosophy. Looking forward to the other material to come.

I too found his exercise philosophy the most interesting part of the presentation. I haven't read his book either.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 04:39

GC, BC and Primal Blueprint were the first books I read in 2010 that convinced me to go LC. I picked NANY as a program because it was more specific on what to eat, plus also choosing foods that were "primal". I should have paid more attention to Mark's warnings about the effects of long-term ketosis
But his website was the first, and is certainly now the largest, dedicated to Paleo or primal living. Search function works well and every article is well-written...simple, clear, accurate without delving deep into biochemistry.
He mentioned his videos to support the fitness exercises. I think when you sign up for his newsletter you still get his free Fitness Book (my old one is 97 pages with hundreds of links back to the website and videos). In it there were diagrams and links, e.g. How to work up to a full push-up.
Here is the 21 day Transformation summary that has the basic fitness program he recommends. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-.../#axzz3U4Sq4FWP
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 05:25

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Janet,

What issues have you had with long term ketosis? I read his article on it and he mentions 2, the first that you would become nutrient deficient on such a low amount of carbs, something Terry Wahls says too. Both Nina Teicholz and Gary Taubes say that meat has been under-rated as a supplier of nutrients. I haven't seen any evidence either way other than a fit Dr Bernstein at age 80 on decades of 30 gms of carbs a day. Sisson also mentions the need to up-regulate insulin sensitivity, but I am not sure that is a good technique for diabetics. Maybe because I learned my low carb first from Dr Bernstein a decade ago, Sisson's advice on carbs just seems too high to me. Right now I find it all a little confusing. I'm doing well on about 20 gms of carbs a day. The question, I guess, is whether this is a good long term strategy.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 07:06

Physiological Insulin Resistance.

Mark just had a recent new updated post on it. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-c.../#axzz3U4Sq4FWP

Here's an earlier one: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/does.../#axzz3U56qK1AQ

I was not even pre-diabetic before LC, so have no HbA1c, but the random FBG done annually were all under 100. Two year into LC, first time over 100. Four and half years into LC, FBG often in the 120s. Three a1c now have gone up, last at 5.9. Dr Westman's attitude toward it is different from Sisson and Fung. I do notice in our local support group that it is more those who had normal blood sugars before LC with this PIR issue, than the diabetics who after years of LC, still get FBG in the 70-80s. Really irritating. Lynne, the leader who has lost 235 pounds said last week 60-70 is her usual FBG, so if you have BG control issues, or come into LC with a "broken metabolism" as Jimmy Moore calls it, your Long term reaction to 20g carbs a day forever may be completely different than mine. Diabetes Warrior Steve is another example of long term low FBG.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Mar-11-15 at 07:11.