Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-15, 15:04

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Tummy growling like a grizzly

Hi. I've been doing LC for two months now for losing wieght but also to contol BS. Anyway for the first month IBS symptoms went away (I suspect lack of gluten). But since then I've had several IBS bouts. The first one lasted for a week and I was pretty sure it was candida die off so I started on probiotics. But since then I've had some reaccuring IBS symptoms -- by that I mean abdominal pain (managable but a hassle). Sometimes when I don't eat there is a little discomfort, often after eating, even 2 hours, there is loud growling to some degree, bloating and adominal pain -- typical IBS. This of course could be eating raw vegatibles, even drinking water (which I'm trying to drink more of) can be a trigger, or maybe this is food sensitivity to proteins I'm eating. Cauliflower and broccoli are two vegs. that are supposed to trigger IBS but they are important for LC when you have narrow options.

Janet you said you've had a lot of food allergies -- is this something you've encountered? Or anyone else?

Last edited by Whited : Sat, Jan-24-15 at 20:57.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-15, 05:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

No I haven't, others here have slowed digestion, hope they can help.

but had a DH with GERD. Have you tried the usual natural supplements for digestive issues? Adding more acid (and getting off acid blockers), enough and long enough with probitotics, digestive enzymes, digestive licorice, etc. Have you started taking more vinegar or fiber supplements? So many possible causes and treatments with digestion! Chris Kresser has a good free book on Gut Health, and this article:
http://chriskresser.com/9-steps-to-...5-heal-your-gut
Another website with free digestive help: http://scdlifestyle.com

Can you avoid raw vegetables and cook them all well? mashed caulifower, not lightly steamed. Walmart has a frozen broccoli and cauliflower mix, easy, cheap, microwave it to very soft and whiz it in a food processor with the fats you like.

Have you tried to eliminate FODMAPS? http://chriskresser.com/fodmaps-cou...igestive-health. GAPS and the Specifc Carb diets (link above) are other diets for IBS.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-15, 07:56

BF:

I was taking ACV but had an IBS attack with it so stopped. I ordered a more powerful probiotic. Also it may be a dairy sensitivity but if that's the case I might just live with it for a while as I don't know if i can do low carb without dairy. It might also be something spicey in my foods doing this.

Thanks for the reply Janet
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 11:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Is there possibly any carrageenan in the dairy you consume? It's often added to cream. Whether or not one feels it's an OK additive, my stomach will growl like crazy if I consume it (recently bought a brand of cream and didn't realize it had carrageenan).

Second the suggestion of cooking vegetables well, raw veggies can also give me these symptoms. Sometimes as you get older your digestion patterns change.

Actually cooking veggies with bacon fat, butter, or olive oil helps break down the cellulose walls and releases more nutrients. People think raw veggies are more nutritious but it's not really the case. If in doubt add bacon drippings to your cooked veggies/or make some bacon and add veggies to the drippings. Makes any veggie taste better!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 11:27

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazia
Is there possibly any carrageenan in the dairy you consume? It's often added to cream. Whether or not one feels it's an OK additive, my stomach will growl like crazy if I consume it (recently bought a brand of cream and didn't realize it had carrageenan).

Second the suggestion of cooking vegetables well, raw veggies can also give me these symptoms. Sometimes as you get older your digestion patterns change.

Actually cooking veggies with bacon fat, butter, or olive oil helps break down the cellulose walls and releases more nutrients. People think raw veggies are more nutritious but it's not really the case. If in doubt add bacon drippings to your cooked veggies/or make some bacon and add veggies to the drippings. Makes any veggie taste better!

I completely agree about cooking the veggies. Much easier to digest.....
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 13:25
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile

I have a slow moving digestion and in the week I started eating sauerkraut every night and a tbsp apple cider vinegar to help with my GERD and the tummy issue. so far my acid reflux (as well as eating 4 hours before bed) has gone away. Oh btw my tummy growls too especially with veggies.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 14:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I would cook veggies if you're having IBS. You might look into the FODMAP diet. Dairy could be an issue, especially if you are a celiac. The disease wears away the part of the gut where dairy is digested (or lactase is created). If you want ideas on how to do low carb without dairy, check out the Paleo sub forum (although not everyone is DF, many of us are... or close).

I find I can't tolerate some foods in large quantities or too frequently, like nuts. Coconut oil is really troublesome in any quantity.

I would scrutinize everything you're ingesting, even vitamins. Try to narrow it down. You could eliminate everything except meat and then slowly add things back. It isn't easy, but it can help narrow things down.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Jan-26-15 at 15:34.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 17:38

BF:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Last night I had cream on my berries and it hurt a little but not too bad. Today I had sausage and an egg, raw broccoli, some pork rinds and salsa, and a small piece of 90% chocolate, and I didn't really get a reaction. It might be the butter or it might be having too much of one thing. I was eating cream every day. I'll keep on investigating.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 18:04
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 198/136/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whited
Hi. I've been doing LC for two months now for losing wieght but also to contol BS. Anyway for the first month IBS symptoms went away (I suspect lack of gluten). But since then I've had several IBS bouts. The first one lasted for a week and I was pretty sure it was candida die off so I started on probiotics. But since then I've had some reaccuring IBS symptoms -- by that I mean abdominal pain (managable but a hassle). Sometimes when I don't eat there is a little discomfort, often after eating, even 2 hours, there is loud growling to some degree, bloating and adominal pain -- typical IBS. This of course could be eating raw vegatibles, even drinking water (which I'm trying to drink more of) can be a trigger, or maybe this is food sensitivity to proteins I'm eating. Cauliflower and broccoli are two vegs. that are supposed to trigger IBS but they are important for LC when you have narrow options.

Janet you said you've had a lot of food allergies -- is this something you've encountered? Or anyone else?

I just recently learned the hard way that probiotics can be an issue for some ppl (me for one) - something to keep in mind as you are trying to narrow down what might be causing you problems
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-15, 07:47
Everyday Sane Psycho

my dietician had me take probiotic tablets to help with slow gut.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-15, 09:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann_LC
I just recently learned the hard way that probiotics can be an issue for some ppl (me for one) - something to keep in mind as you are trying to narrow down what might be causing you problems

Holy cow, yes! It isn't all of them, but I took one sort that gave me the worst constipation I had in my life! And usually I trend in the other direction.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-15, 19:36

BF:

Well my gut seems to be doing better -- I'm wondering if I wasn't lacking in potassium and that affected my stomache with pains. I read about this on these forums, that is that not only can salt be lacking on LC diets but potassium. I didn't have leg cramps but did notice an increase in urination a few weeks ago so maybe I lost some of the potassium.

Also Sun. evening I started taking a very potent probiotic containing 66 billion strands. maybe that helped too. I don't want to celebrate too soon but I'm betting one of those two will help.

Dennis
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-15, 19:59
Everyday Sane Psycho

I wish you all the best. Mine is acidophilus probiotics 100 million
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-15, 20:06

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessara
I wish you all the best. Mine is acidophilus probiotics 100 million
What strain of acidophilus?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-15, 05:34
Everyday Sane Psycho

Lactobacillus Acidophilus
sounds like from milk cultures doesn't it.