Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 09:05
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Smothered Pork Chops

This dish I've been making ever since I was in college, but I was guilty of using cream of mushroom soup back then. It's low-carb re-encarnation is MUCH better!

The flavors of this dish are favorites of my husband. He loves anything that remotely resembles his favorite pre-lowcarb dishes that contained cream of mushroom soup. But as I won’t eat such things anymore, I re-invent these dishes using pure cream along with a thinner like water of broth and just thicken it up if needed. He’s perfectly happy with the re-inventions, so “Who needs canned soups?” I fixed it last week and realized I've not added it to my website or here. So I offer it now for your consideration. This tasty dish is suitable for Atkins Induction if you omit the wine. It is also chock full of your daily nutrient needs, as the stats below confirm. This can be thickened (if desired) with your favorite thickener, but I don’t really think it is necessary, as most of the liquid cooks away in the oven and the cream really amply takes care of what remains. This sauce and preparation also lends itself to inexpensive beef cuts, like cubed round steak or pounded chuck.

INGREDIENTS:

10 oz. lean, pork loin (or boneless chops)
2 oz. bacon, coarsely chopped
2 oz. onion, slivered in long strips or chopped
4 large mushrooms, sliced
1 c. chicken broth (pork broth if available)
2 oz. heavy cream
1 oz. white wine (omit if still on Induction)
Dash each salt and black pepper

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Brown bacon in a non-stick skillet over high heat. Add onion, salt and saute, allowing it to soften and caramelize in the bacon drippings. Add mushroom slices and saute just until they are no longer white. Remove all to a plate temporarily. Now brown the meat on both sides in the same skillet, but it will only be half-cooked at this point. Add back the vegetable mixture, chicken broth, wine and pepper. Remove from heat, cover and pop into preheated 350º oven for 30 minutes to finish cooking and let the meat to get tender in the sauce. Remove from oven, remove lid and place over low stovetop heat. Add cream and simmer a few minutes to slightly thicken up. If not thick enough for you, thicken with a sprinkle of your favorite thickener. Serve each portion with half the sauce dipped over the top, alongside your favorite green veggie or a nice salad.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 2 servings, each contains:

475 calories
32 g fat
5.55 g carbs, 1.2 g fiber, 4.35 g NET CARBS
37 g protein
593 mg sodium
909 mg potassium
60% B6, 50% B12, 74% niacin, 62% phosphorous, 14% magnesium, 23% iron, 34% copper, 58% riboflavin, 112% selenium, 140% thiamin and 42% zinc.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-13, 18:40
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

This was wonderful!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-13, 19:10

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Sounds yummy. Will try it out once through reintroduction. N2L
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-13, 20:26

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Looks good, going to give it a try later this week!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-13, 22:01

Plan: Non Specific - Just LC
Stats: 188/163/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46.65%/37.7%/23%
Progress: 43%

DH is talking about moving in the next few years. I think I'll convince him to move down the street from you so I can just pop in for dinner from time to time.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-13, 05:34
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

LOL. You're too sweet, Amanda. This is one of my DH's favorite ways to have pork chops. I'm sure once you'll fix it, it'll be your DH's fav, too.