Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-13, 18:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229.6/176.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms

I love stuffed mushrooms in restaurants where you get them in the little ramekin with the crust of melted cheese and buttery sauce that they cooked in! This recipe which I found somewhere on pinterest and modified heavily to make LC friendly, comes out of the oven smelling like PizzaHut and tasting even better.

Recipe makes one serving, which I had with a salad.

Large white mushroom caps (120grams = four without stems)
Pizza toppings of your choice, but I used
1) Pepperoni - 10 slices diced
2) Onion - 20g minced
3) Bell pepper - 20g minced
2 Tbsp Cottage Cheese (full fat)
1/4 tsp dried basil and dried oregano
1/4 tsp garlic salt
2 oz mozzarella, sliced
1 Tbsp butter

Melt butter in a small, ovenproof dish (I used a 6" corningware dish and it was just right). Wash and dry mushrooms and remove stems. Mix cottage cheese, herbs/garlic, and toppings. Wedge caps in baking dish snugly so that they share the cheese slices and melt together. Fill caps with topping mixture and top with mozzarella. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, increase to broil for 2-3 minutes until cheese is browned and bubbly.

The sauce at the bottom was salty, buttery, and amazing. The filling was just like picking the toppings off of a slice of restaurant pizza. And lastly, the mushrooms were tender, but firm, and rich from the buttery broth.

I calculated 7g net carbs for the recipe, which when combined with the 2g net salad was very filling!

I'm excited to try some of my other favorite toppings in the future...basil, ricotta, olives, and proscuitto? YUM!
Sponsored Links