Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 15:48

Plan: CKD
Stats: 200/200/175
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey I know this thread started a year or so ago, LOL, but I have a question caffeine before your morning workout. I HATE coffee, is there somethign else you woudl suggest besides the caffeine stack? ok now i do love coke, but wouldn't that be too much sugar and carbs?

thanks
trey
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 15:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%

Strong tea?
  #108   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 10:47
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Progress: 32%
Default Natrushka

Your post really helped me clear something up. I always do my workout in the morning, one because of one thing you said, it is easier to blow it off in the evening. In the morning while I am doing my stretching for 20 mins and leg raises. I am still half out of it. Then I jump on the bike with the leg weights and I grab the gameboy or PS2, whatever is handy. It seems like my body is faking my brain out. Before my brain is awake to know what it is doing I have blown by 20 mins on the bike. I was hearing conflicting stories about weather to eat or not before I workout. It seemed like I don't feel as good after I eat and workout. Then the opposite. Yesterday I had to stop working out because I was feeling sick to my stomach. I figured I would try it once. It's funny that I found these comments the day after. Thanks for your input Natrushka & trainerdan. Have a great day.

Amber
  #109   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 14:19

Plan: dont really have one
Stats: 140/140/120
BF:
Question A M cardio? I have a question.

I am Type 2 diabetic. I know ,no I'm not on the wrong forum. I am trying to lose a little bit oif fat. I am at 22% bodyfat right now. I want to get to 12-15%. My question is I have tried the cardio without eating first. My sugar drops so low during my weight training after that I can't finish my lift. Now here we go, If I do my cardio without eating and eat immediatly after so I have the energy to lift, am i wasting my time byb not eating in the first place for my cardio. Will it do me any good? Please help me I have gone from 151 lbs in the winter to 136 now. It is getting increasingly harder to see results.
  #110   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 07:00

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Pk--
I dont think that you would be wasting your time at all by doing cardio on empty stomach, eating and then lifting. I asked Dan his opinion on this also and he agreed w/ me but said the food you "eat" should be liquid...preferably whey based protein so it is rapidly absorbed.

Best of luck!
Linda
  #111   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 07:31

BF:

Can you suggest somethinf that would be good but not raise my blood sugar too high?
  #112   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 08:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/General Low Carb
Stats: 275/254/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Gonna try it!

I usualy do my Cardio both in the morning and night...But for the next two weeks (starting today) I'm going to do cardio in the morning and weights at night....

I've done cardio on a empty stomache and after I have eaten before ..So we will see if I can tell the difference..I can't wait to see if this is what I need to break my stall of over 4 weeks

...I'm not sure of inches lost because I haven't measured..I really need to start doing that..I"ve done the Pant-O-Meter and they are about a size and half to big now..even after being washed..haha..I will keep you all updated on how it goes..

~ Jolyne~
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 17:29

Plan: My own
Stats: 200/176.5/135
BF:Post partum 8/8/02
Progress: 36%

Hi all...

Man, this thread has been around for a while. I'm sure this question has been answered already, but it would take too long to sift through everything. So, here goes...I understand and agree with doing a.m. cardio on an empty stomach, but when should I then eat my a.m. meal? I usually eat a low carb protien bar for breakfast. Should I eat this immediately after working out or wait an hour? Any suggestion would be helpful...

Thanks,

M.
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 17:54

BF:

Best I can tell antime after your workout. The eating after my cardio before my lift seems to be working
  #115   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 04:37
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Progress: 32%
Default Feel Better

I just feel better when I eat after my workout. I get a little nauseated when I workout after I eat. If someone told me it did no good to eat after you workout, I would still do it because it makes me feel really good. I think that is whats more important, what makes you feel good, energized and what will drive you to want to do that every day. I can't wait to get out of bed to workout. Before this WOL, it would take me 35 mins to get out of bed. Have a great day!

Amber

#116   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 09:05

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Thumbs up Your metabolism is also higher after your workout

But that doesn't mean eat alot of carbs either. I can work out longer if I eat a little before, like a cheese stick or a little cottage cheese. So I can take a few vitamins.

Josie
  #117   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 21:04

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Hi there,
I haven't really read all the posts in this section but I thought I would post my experience.
I think whether you work out before you eat or after you eat is a very personal choice much like how all our WOE are slightly different.
I tried to work out before I ate breakfast for about 2 to 3 months this past spring. At that time I was eating very well, fairly low carb for me, I really didn't crave anything and ate what I felt like my body was telling me that I needed.
Slowly I became more and more tired every day, would work out later every morning until I wasn't eating breakfast until 11 or later, so in a sense I was skipping a meal. I found I started to crave the really bad carbs that normally don't bother me, doughnuts, cakes, cookies all kinds of Junk. My workouts became less effective, walking slower, liftling lighter weights than normal, just using less intensity. I felt horrible and depressed.
In July I decided to start eating before I worked out and in just a few days I was working out with more strenght, and more intensity, the cravings started to go away and I was feeling more like myself. Shortly after that my sister Poofie told me about TSP and started to low carb with guidance.
For me the fasting workouts were a disaster, where as for Poofie it is great for her.
Tanya
  #118   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 10:48

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default post workout recovery

Quote:
Should I eat this immediately after working out or wait an hour?

Consume something as soon after the workout as possible. I usually drink an Isopure bottled protein drink on the way home from they gym, and then eat brakfast an hour later.

I believe that the post-workout drink should be low-fat so it is absorbed more quickly, and therefore can assist in recovery faster, but that's just me.

A bar or drink works well in this situation.
  #119   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 20:31

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default wow

I've read everything in this post...at least I think I read everything!

I did BFL for a couple months and did great with the AM workouts...both weights and cardio. I had a bit of trouble getting up in the morning at first, but after a few days, it got easier!

When I started LC, reading first DANDR, the recommdation was to eat prior to exercising, so I made the change. The recomendation was to wait 2 hrs after a meal....and that's where I got in trouble!

I was so much easier to just get up and get going! In the afternoon, evening, it was so easy to put it off!

So now, I'm going to go back to trying the AM workouts. I know I can do this! Just have to get myself motivated!

Thanks for all the great info here!
  #120   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 16:29
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution
Stats: 150/?/135
BF:?
Default morning/fasting workouts for diabetics

Someone posted a question recently about fasting workouts with diabetes, and I don't think anyone has really addressed it too thoroughly.
I think alot of what people here are saying about the benefits of fasting cardio is probably right for non-diabetics, but diabetes makes this much more complicated--especially if you take medication or insulin. I am a type 1 diabetic (on insulin, of course), and I find that doing fasting cardio is disastrous. After a night of gluconeogenises, the body has a period of being prone to high BG levels as it is; add to that the release of adrenalin and coritisol from cardiovascular exercise of high intensity (walking is usually okay), and you have a big blood sugar spike which takes sometimes all day to iron out.
I have found that it is just not worth it.
This is my experience, anyway. For me, the best time to work out is, first and foremost, when I can motivate to do it--which is not first thing in the morning--and, just as important, when it will have the least drastic effect on my blood sugar.