Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#166   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-04, 22:41
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Ive been thinking about getting lasek surgery too .. they quoted me 600.00 per eye... .kinda scared to do it tho..
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 04:21

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Unity, I didn't know what you meant when you said you have lasik the other day. I got it now! Doh. That's great. I've always wondered about that surgery. I've worn glasses since age 12. Got contacts at age 16 and have been wearing them ever since. I now wear bifocal contacts, but am beginning to need extra reading glasses for tiny print. At least there are some really cool half glasses out there.

Big Shot, 135 pounds on an 8-year-old is way too much -- you're right about that -- but I really don't think you can use the hip-to-waist ratio on an child. You're smart, though, to get her exercising. It really pains me to see so many overweight children chugging down 64-ounce Cokes and eating all the time. These kids are being set up for a lifetime full of weight problems. Even if the child is skinny and is seemingly "handling" all the junk food, it catches up with them. It caught up with all of us, after all! There are a few -- very few -- that can handle all this junk food and not gain weight, but then again how is their health otherwise?

One of the best gifts we can give the next generation is the knowledge to eat healthy foods in moderation.

Why do kids have to be munching on Goldfish crackers, or Cheerios, or whatever all day long? I have friends who can't go anywhere without a whole bag full of food. And I'm not talking about long trips, I'm talking about driving 10 minutes. I can understand having a little snack ready in an emergency, but these kids get food each and every time they get in the car! And I go visit their house, and 9 times out of 10 I see them running around with crackers and juice.

Sorry, this is just one of my pet peeves. I probably shouldn't even have an opinion on this, since I don't have kids, but I do feel strongly about this.

Edited to add: What kind of "diet" do they have her on? I've read that traditional diets (read: low-fat) are not good for kids. The Eades (the husband and wife team of doctors who wrote Protein Power) raised 2 boys on the plan, and they report the kids are strong and robust. You've seen amazing results. Have you spoken with the parents about it?

There's a forum on this board dedicated to students and teens. Here's the link: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=120

Also, try doing a search on words like "kids" or "children." You might also try checking out the Eades' own web site at eatprotein.com.

Have fun at the lake! I'll be spending the day doing landscaping chores. The excavators are done now, except for laying down some fill and topsoil and then seeding. The heavy work is done, so now I have the cleanup of fixing the adjoining garden beds, etc. I might even try to take a couple days of work this week to get things in shape before they get out of hand again.

Last edited by BawdyWench : Sun, Jul-18-04 at 04:28.
  #168   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 06:47

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Hi guys! I've been MIA lately due to a new addiction that I have recently picked up....reading!!!! I am obsessed. I've been waking up early to read, bringing a book to summer school to fit in during breaks, and staying up late just to get in a little more. The first book that hooked me is called The Time Traveler's Wife and the second was the DaVinci Code. I read the second in 2 days, and it was 400 pages long. And these weren't even days that I didn't have anything to do. Anyway, I thought I should give it a rest b/c I want to check in with you guys.

Other than my new compulsion, things are going well. I have one more week of summer school, and then my summer actually begins. August is my free month, which is perfect with the approaching Olympics. I am SOOOO excited about the announcement tonight about which which girls they have selected for the gymnastics team.

Lissette-I believe you asked me awhile ago what my typical menu has been looking like since my incorporation of some grains. Basically I eat very simple breakfasts and lunches, cottage cheese/eggs/sliced tomato, salads with chicken/cheese/veggies, and then indulging a little more at dinner. Sometimes I have something whole-grain, like a slice of bread, a little pasta, some oatmeal, a pita, or else I will have a ton of fruit, blueberries especially right now. Everything has been kept very simple.

Bawdy-I've been meaning to ask you about oil of oregano. Why did you originally begin taking it? Where do you buy it, what kind do you buy, how much do you take? What other effects have you had in addition to the flatter stomach? I've seen that it is a popular topic of conversation on other boards but haven't ever gone through the posts. I think I heard somewhere that it is good if you have acne, which is why I am most interested. Thanks!

Bigshot-I also think that you are doing a wonderful thing for your granddaughter taking her for walks. I am right up there with Bawdy on her soapbox about being mortified about what our children are eating. I see it every day as a teacher in a middle school. It's horrifying the choices they give the kids. There is no limit for them. They can have whatever they want, and they do. About half the kids who buy their lunches choose wonderful combinations, such as Reese's cups, potato chips and a sugary drink. It makes me really mad. There are so many kids that are overweight, so many more than I remember when I was that age in school. I would NEVER buy my lunch at the cafeteria. It's just so sad that our country has come to this. You are a special person to care this much about helping her make better choices now in her life. Good luck to you.
  #169   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 09:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
There's a forum on this board dedicated to students and teens. Here's the link: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=120

There is also the LC Parenting & Pregnancy forum that you may find useful too.

Karen
  #170   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 10:19

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

Quote:
they quoted me 600.00 per eye... .kinda scared to do it tho..
my insuance paid for it...they give you a valum when you get there...lol... I was freaked out too,but I will never have my glasses fog up,or get something under my contacts ever agian....the surgery takes less then 10 min so you don,t have a long time to freak out. I will put more about it in my journal after I get back from church
  #171   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 11:19

BF:

How the heck did you get your insurance to pay for it?

And thanks, Karen, for the additional link. I figured there must be tons (excuse the pun) of information around regarding kids and low-carb eating.

Wendy, I started taking the OoO strictly for my nasty eye allergies, as well as to help with the yeast infection I suspected I have (I scored extremely high on the test). I don't think it's a miracle cure, but it does seem to help with certain things. I don't think it helps with general weight loss or even to get past a stall. If weight loss ensues, I believe it's probably because of a yeast infection. When the yeast dies, it leaves your system.

Someone explained it to me like this. (Fair warning, I'm about to use the "s" word again, this time not in connection with flaxseed.) When you get a cold or an allergy, etc., it's a virus. The virus is quite small, but it can cause your body to put lots of . . . here it comes . . . snot. Gallons of it, it sometimes seems. Same with yeast. It's a little infection, but the yeast causes your body to produce lots of "yeasty snot." This is why your stomache gets pouchy (that and the gas it produces). When you take something, like OoO to kill the yeast, it plus the snot gets expelled, and your tummy gets smaller.

Now that may be WAY off base, but it kind of makes sense.

There's a lot of info on the web. Google on "oil of oregano" and see what you get.

Back to chores.
  #172   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 11:52

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

hey guys.

things are going well here. it has been a busy weekend helping a friend of ours move into their new house. they are they kind of people who when you show up to help them move, they hand you an empty box and you end up packing them AND moving them. needless to say, we will be back over there this afternoon. this time we told them we would show up in the afternoon (hopefully when the boxes are full!!)

i am heading out of town on monday for the week so you will not be seeing much of me. going to roseburg, or. not one of my favorite places that we go, but by far not the worst!! the good part is that the place is a fairly big town, so food choices will not be a problem, and the motel is right near a park/paved bike trail, so excercise should not be a problem either. now the question, is will MY choices be good!!! hehe i hope so!!
  #173   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 11:55

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi all, and especially Unity who can read this without her glasses

Just did a 2 mile WATP tape, first time in ages. Boy , this surgery thing really knocked me for a loop, I used to do that tape easily. I am really sweating!

Bawdy, what brand of OofO do you take?
Are you getting any outdoor work done today? It's raining buckets in eastern PA.

Hi Wendy. Did you like The Davinci Code? I must be the only person in the US who hasn't read it yet.I'll have to reserve it at the library.

PS, Bawdy the fish recipe I put in your journal turned out good For the rest of you, here it is . It's froma tilapia website that I googled for.
Pecan Crusted Dijon Tilapia
4 tilapia filets
1/2 cup mayo (not low fat)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 tsp. butter (or Pam spray)
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans

Spread butter on metal baking pan. (I used ceramic, came out ok)
Place filets on pan.
Combine mayo and Dijon and spread on filets.
Sprinkle with pecans.
Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes unless filets are extra large, then add about 2 minutes.
  #174   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 13:05

Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Bawdy-Thanks for the info. I will go do a search and see what I can find. I used to be all about supplements, but I found out quickly that the hype never lived up to much in reality. Usually I was just left with a hole in my pocket

Acipenser-Sounds like you are getting quite the workout today moving your friends into their new home. Have fun on your week away, and we look forward to hearing all about your the good choices you made eating as well as your working out adventures!

Elaine-The WATP tapes ARE hard if you haven't done them in awhile. Right now I am doing the Winsor Pilates tapes w/ the resistance band. They are TOUGH, much more intense than the original set. How have your new Pilates tapes been going? Yes, I strongly recommend the DaVinci Code. I, too, am one that takes forever to get on the bandwagon with something. I never read Harry Potter until the 4th book was already out. It just didn't sound like something I would be interesting in. The only reason I read it was b/c it was required reading for my Children's Lit class, and then I was hooked. This was my second attempt at starting the DaVinci Code. I had read the first chapter before and for whatever reason, didn't go further. This time I couldn't stop myself from reading. I found the book fascinating. My mom loved it. My sister thought it was dumb and basically full of lies. She is a lot like my dad, though, and he just turned up his nose as I described to him the concept. It's probably not for you if you don't ever want to question the past. Now, there may not be 100% truth to it (it is a fictional novel afterall), but it raises many questions regarding history, religion (specifially Catholicism, and I am Catholic), and secret societies. I think that it is very well researched and am totally intrigued by the possibilities it suggests. Maybe that is just the naivity of me. Maybe it's just b/c I have lived in a bubble my whole life and never given my religion an ounce of thought or ever questioned anything, but I find myself now CRAVING information. Well, I have to go work on reading some more of the "prequel" now, Angels and Demons. Have a good one!
  #175   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 13:45

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

Quote:
How the heck did you get your insurance to pay for it?

Retail clerks is the only insurance I have ever heard of that pays for it. Up to 1000 per eye! COOL HUH!!
for anyone who wants to know what it was like I have posted it in my journal,and am willing to anser an ?'s you have.
  #176   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 17:04

BF:

RE: the OoO.

I got it from General Nutrition Center. I think it's the Nature's Made line. It's a liquid and comes with a dropper. I take 2 drops in water in the morning, and 2 drops at night. Some people say it flavors the glass you put it in, so I use the bathroom Dixie cups.

On my fourth margarita, so it's getting difficult to type coherently. Catch you all tomorrow.
  #177   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 21:57
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 65
BF:more than needed
Progress: 58%

Hi everyone I have been MIA lately. Have been busy with the kids and just never seem to get to the computer. Work has been crazy. We were getting cancelled a lot at the hospital as the patient census was down so I over scheduled myself, now the census is up so I am now getting more time than I usually do. I won't complain when the check comes with the $$$.

Lately, I have not been following strictly LC. I have been having some problems. Lately, my legs have been having cramps and lots of aching. I have been running lots lately. I have been supplementing with Potassium twice a day. I am going into see my doctor tomorrow b/c even after laying off the running and upping my carbs my legs still ache. This is even after a short walk or climbing the stairs. I need to check it out and make sure nothing else is going on. I am really bummed b/c I was just starting to enjoy the running. I will be back but it will take time to build back to the 3 miles.

Bigshot, welcome!! Help your granddaughter by sawing her that exercise is an important part of life. It is a great lesson to learn early. Tread cautiously on dieting, with children it is best to seek help from physicians. Kids need levels of protein, fat, and carbs in order to have healthy growth. Actually, if she cuts down on sugar and white flour she will appreciate a weight lose. Keep up your good work. You will serve as a great example for both exercise and healthy eating.

Bawdy, the dip sounds great. Will try it soon. Hope things will get better soon. Keep your head up.

Hey, granny are you enjoying that baby. She sounds like she is doing well. She is bigger now than my daughter was when she came home for the hospital ( She was 5# even, hubby kept saying she looked like she had chicken legs. My biggest baby was 6# 1 oz). Enjoy her!!!!!

Everyone else, hello I will try to catch up more later. Try to keep up. Leaving on Thursday for 10 days at the cottage no computer. Keep up the work.

Therese
  #178   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 22:22

Stats: 225/214/180 Male 69 inches
BF:37%
Progress: 24%

Well I didn't go to whitefish lake yet...you see, my friend the hobby farmer needed a hand haying his fields...He phoned me early this morning and I couldn't say no cuz we are good friends and friends help each other... The hay that had been cut was damp underneath and it needed to be raked over to allow drying. Then came the baling and pickup by hand. I'll tell you, after this, I don't know if I got enough finger tips left to tie my line when I go fishing. I came home around 9pm and I was glad to see my youngest boy (34yo) with a nice catch of fish... 2 nice four pounder bass... 2 brook trouts and 2 nice pink meat lake trouts. Everybody came back to town to attend a funeral of a good friend's mother who just passed away. She just lived down the street. Then, I still have to put my camper on my truck before I head out to the lake....Who knows maybe we won't leave until Tueday sometime...afterall I might need a few days to recuperate after picking up those bales a good part of the day...Heck, I'm going to bed...
  #179   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 09:40

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Just a quick hello! We are on the last leg of haying so I am still burning the days away!
Yesterday I finally got some time to get on the treadmill, MAN I can tell that I have not been on, (DID I EVER SWEAT!!)

Elaine, No you are not the only one, I have wanted to read the Davinci code, they had a documentary on tv and my aunt has the book, That is prob. nesxt on my list, this fall and into the dead of winte after chores ec.. I get in more reading time!

Wendy, you will have to let me know how the Angels one is, if it is worth looking at!

Ellie, Good to hear that you are hanging in with the 72 induction, YOU ARE ONE STRONG WOMEN!!!! I have a hard enough time with the regulare one! I have been reading up on taurine (they also have a thread on the dark side) It is supposed to help with bloating ec... I just ordered some and will let you all know how it goes!!

Bigshot, glad to hear that you are looking out for your granddaughter, my niece has a problem also and whenever we get together we workout, and I send her copies of my workout tapes! She is doing more lc eating now and I now have her dad on lc and well my sis is another story, but she is starting to really look into what they are all eating!

Unity, did you throw your glasses out yet?? That is great news!! My sis in law had the same thing done and is loving it!!!!

Shrubie,Hope your cramps get better, let us know what the doc says!! and Yes we have been busy taking MORE Pics of our new grandbaby! She is still so light, it is like lifting one of Kaz's doll babies!!!

Well this turned out to be longer than I thought, My dh is impationtly tapping his foot!!

HELLO to Bawdy,Dawn,Michele,Karen, and to any one else That I did not mention! Have a great Monday! (if possible!)
  #180   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 12:29
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Just a quick hi to everyone!!!

Summer time this year sure has been crazy hasnt it?

Summer factoids I gathered:

~ Watermelon is actually a VEGETABLE! It is from the botanical family Cucurbitaceae and is most closely related to cucumbers, pumpkins and squash. The watermelon is composed of 92% water and early explorers often used hollowed out watermelons as canteens.

~ In 1905, an 11-year-old boy named Frank Epperson invented the first Popsicle. He created it completely by accident. Frank accidentally left a mixture of powdered soda and water, with a stirring stick, on his porch. He awoke the next morning and found a frozen pop! He first named his frozen pop an "Epsicle", but when he got older his kids asked for "Pop’s" sicle and the new name was born. Popsicles are more popular than ever today, with Cherry being the number one favorite flavor.

~ The first "bathing suits" for women were introduced in the early 1800’s. At that time it was still considered improper for skin to be any color but creamy white. The first "suits" were composed of long sleeved bathing dresses with woolen bloomers underneath to weight the dress down. The only "swimming" a woman did at that time was to jump waves at the edge of the water and dip her feet, and occasionally legs, into the water.

~ The Frisbee was originally designed as a tin pie plate in the 1870’s. It was a marketing scheme to encourage homemakers to see the name "Frisbee" on the pie tin and think how much easier it would be to buy a pie instead of making one. Eventually, Mr. Frisbee’s pies were sold all over Connecticut. In the 1940’s, Yale students began tossing the pie tins to one another in a game of catch. The game caught on throughout the campus. About 10 years later, the president of Wham-O saw the pie-tin tossing fun at Yale. He saw this as a toy he could easily market. There were issues with the tin, so the plastic disc was born. Because of the craze of UFOs during this time, the plastic disc quickly became known as a "flying saucer".
Closed Thread