Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-23, 07:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Species specific diet? Maybe it's ketosis!

Dr. Shawn Baker (has a Youtube channel and a podcast) is changing his macros. He's been happily 100% carnivore, but now he's injured his neck.

He's using a paper (below) which inspired him to treat his neuroinflammation with keto. So he will be tracking his ratios and see what happens.

I'm pleased, because I don't have to be zero carb. I can eat all meat with some happiness, but found my appetite still needs some tempting with stuff like fruit, which will then help me feel my hunger. Because I was underweight two appointments ago, gained it back, and now looking to stay where I was before I got sick.

So I wonder maybe it's really about the ketosis. For most people, that would result in an animal food-heavy diet, which is still the most bio-available form of protein. But we've seen the dramatic results of adjusting fat and carbs.

Nerve injury and repair in a ketogenic milieu: A systematic review of traumatic injuries to the spinal cord and peripheral nervous tissue

Quote:
Neuroprotective effects manifested as either improved histological or functional benefits in most of the included studies. Overall, we conclude that intermittent fasting and the ketogenic diet may promote neuroprotection and facilitate the regeneration and repair of nerve fibers following injury; however, lack of consistency between the studies in terms of animal models, diet compositions, and timing of dietary interventions preclude synthesis of their outcomes as a whole.

This might be promising for nerve damage, indeed. And we know it has good effects for mental health and autoimmune.

We already know bad carbs and bad fats matter. Ketosis might turn out to do wonders for him, I hope so.

There are people who have trouble moving off carnivore unless they stick with ruminant meat, salt, and water. And to be honest, I've done that, and I felt great. This part of the introduction might explain why:

Quote:
Wound healing is a biological phenomenon that requires sufficient calories and precursors for unimpeded progression. The association of malnourishment and adverse healing serves as the basis for nutritional optimization, and surgical emphasis is placed on timely recognition of deficiencies and appropriate supplementation. Yet, emerging evidence suggests that diet can also be leveraged to augment the reparative process. Intermittent episodes of energy restriction (i.e. intermittent fasting) and regimens that promote metabolic switching—namely, ketone oxidation—have shown salutary effects across diverse species and diseases. These dietary interventions seem to induce novel responses to injury and enhance repair in various tissues. Interestingly, the proposed mechanisms extend beyond weight loss or diminished production of reactive oxygen species and include adaptive stress responses, reduced inflammation, efficient bioenergetics, and improved repair and renewal at the cellular level. Ketone bodies—by-products of fatty acid oxidation and a vital fuel source for the brain in episodes of nutrient deprivation—have been implicated as key mediators.

My italics.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-23, 09:43

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for the post, WB. There are many recent findings that show the benefit of increased blood BHB, primarily achieved by diet through ketosis, but can also be taken exogenously. This recent podcast by Metabolic Link (Dom D'Agostino) with Jeff Volek serves to bring findings up to date. Jeff also alludes to some studies currently underway that are exploring this topic much deeper. Good discussion for anyone with interests in this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxTY6TqV2wM
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-23, 12:08

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I follow DrBaker, and watched his video on this. Of course he is still wrestling at his age and got injured, an injury not due to his age but how he was maneuvered head furst into mat.

I like how he relied on a research paper to use the therapeutic effects of ketosis and put off surgery as long as possible. Ironic as he is a bone 😷 surgeon himself.

A plain speaking man. Easy to listen to.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-17-23, 04:58

BF:

Honest doctors recognize the limitations of any one approach. It's my understanding that exogenous ketones work for a few hours, max. Means something to an athlete or gym rat, I suppose, but not sustainable for continuous health benefits. A bit of research indicates many believe the advertising, drink that without changing what else they eat, and give up as "diets don't work!"

One thing the explosion of "fad" diets did was create an awareness of keto, a lot faster and more thoroughly than our efforts could. While a lot of it is not based on real science, at least the concept, and people claiming success, as I do, is out there. I am careful to add that I do it in the way science recommends. There are no shortcuts.

For some reason I find myself drawn to studying the concept of Fat Acceptance, where people claim no control over their weight for genetic, societal, and other unreachable reasons. Some even defiantly created a category called "don't want to lose weight" and these video diaries are half giant sugary drinks, and half carbs, wrapped in deep fried carbs, with sugary sauce. Desserts start at breakfast. Two snacks between meals. I find it horrifying and they find it heaven. Denial off the charts.

It's been a long time since I knew what fast food is out there, and we are remote AND without many franchises. Apparently desserts through the drive through have expanded madly. Some chains seem to be experimenting with the science fiction food, like those wildly colored concoctions at Disney World.

Perhaps it's because these folks have a horror of real food. Steak and salad is delicious. Steak and eggs are my favorite breakfast. But I think if I kept eating fake food, that would take over. If all I ate was such food, I would counter a protein craving with chicken nuggets, not chicken. In these videos, I barely see meat, unless it's bacon. And I'm suspecting that a lot of what is sold as meat, isn't. Vegan is super popular because they say that's "healthy." A vegan behavior trait. A lack of animal involvement means a food is both moral and nourishing, they claim. Which has zero science, total belief.

Perhaps I watch videos on the subject because it could have been me. And there's a competing set of videos debunking it, and those are my favorites

A long way of saying that we need to demand actual public education about our health. We are pushing back with actual science. I find that incredibly persuasive. I was willing to try new ways of eating, but unfortunately, some people have built their daily life around the drive through. The office is full of people who bring in coffee and breakfast, eat out for lunch, and grab takeout on the way home. I've been one of them.

When life seems crammed full of constant work and errands, the investment of grocery shopping, putting it all away, taking it out and cooking it, and then cleaning up after... all of this is a chore we can wave away with some extra money, and get some time to spend. We can't afford a cook, but we can afford to buy these products.

It was one thing when we thought it was harmless. That's actually what first baffled the author of Ultra Processed People. He and his wife cooked most nights, even with two small children. They used takeout and frozen entrees that were similar to the meals they cooked. They "ate better" than many families. While all that was true, the convenience foods like cereal were still there, and had an impact. But all of us have been marketed to -- relentlessly -- so our mind makes it easier to grab the bright colors and sweet tastes.

He started connecting toddler behavior to snacks and his own "routine" digestive issues that he could now tie to certain meals. It's so clear once we pay attention. But zillions of dollars are spent so we don't think about it.

It's getting harder to suspend our disbelief.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-17-23, 07:18

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Dr Baker just released a youtube post on feeding our pets. Golden Retrievers used to live 16-17 years. And now its limited to 10-12.

Change the diet from grains back to meats. Grain based diet for dogs is abnormal.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-23, 05:57

BF:

It's not good for cats, either. And... it's not that good for us, is it?

The only thing we get from grains -- aside from the alcohol, bread, and cake, of course -- is some B vitamins. Which is almost uniformly put in the flour so we all don't go mad from pellagra.