Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 10:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default An Investigation Into The Immune Response To Wheat Offers A Clue To ...

... (wouldn't all fit) The Elusive Cause Of Type 1 Diabetes

Quote:
Scientists at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute and the University of Ottawa have discovered what may be an important clue to the cause of type 1 diabetes. Dr. Fraser Scott and his team tested 42 people with type 1 diabetes and found that nearly half had an abnormal immune response to wheat proteins. The study is published in the August 2009 issue of the journal Diabetes.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/161480.php
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 10:41

Plan: My Own
Stats: 190/190/140 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Some times is seems so obvious to me. I just don't get how all these doctors with their degrees and their money and the brain power it took to get them there don't get it.

Wheat/bread/sugars raise insulin - raised insulin is bad - Eat low fat.........what?

Wheat/bread/sugars raise insulin - Raised insulin leades to type II diabetes - eat low fat...........Huh?

Wheat/bread/sugars raise insulin - raised insulin leads to fat accumulation - Eat low fat ............

Wheat/bread/sugars raise insulin - Raised insulin feeds cancer/tumor growth - Eat low fat....................

I know this has very little to do with type I diabetes, but just had to put that out there.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 12:38
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I know this has very little to do with type I diabetes, but just had to put that out there.

Yeah, Type I is an autoimmune disease.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 13:00

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Humans have had thousands of years to adapt to wheat, most have successfully evolved to the challenge and benefits. Some of us haven't. Tirades against wheat, doctors and scientists make people look foolish. Can't we just settle for the apparent truth that not all people can be eating wheat, peanuts, glutin, shell fish etc.?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 15:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
Humans have had thousands of years to adapt to wheat, most have successfully evolved to the challenge and benefits. Some of us haven't. Tirades against wheat, doctors and scientists make people look foolish. Can't we just settle for the apparent truth that not all people can be eating wheat, peanuts, glutin, shell fish etc.?

With 40% of America to be considered overweight and the rest of the world quickly catching up. With cancers becoming more and common and reasearch pointing more and more to the relations with high Insulin and cancers. I would hardly call that "successfully evolved." However, the point of my post was that it does not surprise me that wheat would be a contributing and/or complicating factor in some way in both types of diabetes.

I see that you don’t like my opinion on the recommendations of most doctors as a way to combat obesity and type II diabetes, however if nobody speaks out, or what you would like to call a tirade, how will anyone get others with differing opinions to listen? Calling me foolish because our opinions differ is a bit over the top I think.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 15:30

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritko1
With 40% of America to be considered overweight and the rest of the world quickly catching up. With cancers becoming more and common and reasearch pointing more and more to the relations with high Insulin and cancers. I would hardly call that "successfully evolved." However, the point of my post was that it does not surprise me that wheat would be a contributing and/or complicating factor in some way in both types of diabetes.
I see that you don’t like my opinion on the recommendations of most doctors as a way to combat obesity and type II diabetes, however if nobody speaks out, or what you would like to call a tirade, how will anyone get others with differing opinions to listen? Calling me foolish because our opinions differ is a bit over the top I think.

How about: perhaps it would be best if we could all agree to disagree...
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 00:55

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Most people have evolved to cope well with wheat, rice, etc. Those of us with diabetes seem to be an exception. Much of the world is dependent upon grains for their very survival. To suggest that 40% obesity is the fault of grains is not scientifically established. Further study is needed. ONLY scientists will be able to do it.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 05:52

Truthfully, I don't think grains are the problem...

From my personal witness:

At least 95% of Chinese people eat grains or grain products everyday and after having lived there about a year I only saw:

1. a hand full of morbidly obese (100 lbs or more) Chinese people

2. less than 5% obese (50 lbs or more)

3. less than 10% being 25 pounds or more

4. I saw at least 10 million and probably closer to 20 million people during my time in China

5. They have people there with diabetes, but it isn't run amuck like here in the USA

I'm not trying to say that diabetes is caused by being fat, but I do know that most diabetics I know in the USA and China are fat and also are not living a very active lifestyle which includes regular exercise.

So, when I read things about grains causing diabetes and obesity and I'm looking at populations in general, I suppose if I only looked at American populations, I could probably draw a conclusion that there is a correlation between grains, obesity and diabetes, but our population is definitely not reflective of other world populations........ Our population is only a fourth of the Chinese population, so stating about 40% of people are fat and attributing it to grains is not only not scientific, it is not even realistic.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 06:56

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Actually,most of the type 1 diabetics I know are not fat.
IMHO,type 1 diabetes seems to be mainly genetic.
Again IMHO,some type 2 diabetics seem to have inherited the disease while others possibly brought it on themselves.
I would describe my diet as low to medium carb,medium fat,
medium protein.I don't seem to have a severe problem with wheat or gluten but i try to limit my wheat intake.
I do count calories.I exercise quite a bit.
I still require pills or insulin injections to have good BG numbers.
I watch my cholesterol and BP-numbers are good.
What is the point here?I think I overindulged in whiskey last night and I am hung over as hell!
Bye for now
Eddie
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 08:15

BF:

[/QUOTE]So, when I read things about grains causing diabetes and obesity and I'm looking at populations in general, I suppose if I only looked at American populations, I could probably draw a conclusion that there is a correlation between grains, obesity and diabetes, but our population is definitely not reflective of other world populations........ Our population is only a fourth of the Chinese population, so stating about 40% of people are fat and attributing it to grains is not only not scientific, it is not even realistic.[/QUOTE]

I actually did say that is it was Americans that have a 40% overweight ratio, not the whole world, however they are catching up to that rate, and by overweight I mean anywhere from just chunky to morbidly obese, I wasn't implying that 40% of Americans where in the obese range.

It’s not just grains in my opinion its sugars and starchy foods and excess carbohydrates as well contributing to the ill health in America and the rest of the world. If Humans, and any other species for that matter, stuck to the diet that was natural to them, then the diet that we eat should sustain health not cause illness. But, therein lays the question. What is a diet natural to humans? If you ask 15 different people, I suspect you would get 15 different answers.

I personally think that a Neanderthal, Paleolithic, or caveman if you will, had walked passed a piece of fruit or a vegetable or even a stalk of grain, he very likely would have eaten it, however I also think that these things would have been seasonal and in very limited supply. I think the bulk of their diet was of animal meat. Seeing as meats have every nutrient and vitamin a body needs, there is no reason why a person could not survive and be totally healthy on a meat only diet.

To say that a couple thousand years, and in the abundance that society eats starches grains and sugars, only a couple hundred years is enough to evolve past hundreds of thousands of years worth of practically starch and sugar free diet is a stretch in my opinion.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 203/184/180 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 83%

Here are a series of articles on the dangers of eating grains. I won't touch the stuff and neither should you.

Two quotes that might interest you.

"Anyone unable to correctly digest fat, a specific protein or certain carbohydrates should really be thinking about wheat.
It's a metabolic poison."

"On the other hand wheat is looking for a free ride for its seeds. WGA is its lectin, which uses n-acetylglucosamine moieties on cell surfaces specifically to become endocytosed. Once inside the cell all WGA needs to do is produce as much damage as possible, so disrupting digestion, which will maximise the chances of any still undamaged wheat seeds being passed through the gut in tact. Then these can seed the next piece of clear ground which the herbivore poops on."

WOOOW. WGA in wheat is designed to destroy our gut so that we can not digest the wheat seeds and thus will spread them around whole when we poop. Yikes, it is enough to give me nightmares.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.c...ch/label/gluten

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....ctose%20%281%29

Last edited by Utah Jake : Sun, Aug-23-09 at 08:50.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 08:40

Default deleted

comments removed..... let this topic stay focused on t1 diabetes, which is something I know nothing about..

Last edited by Cajunboy47 : Mon, Aug-24-09 at 05:21.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 10:56
Experimenter

BF:

A few thousand years isn't a long time when you're talking about evolution. Well, perhaps it would be if we had the life span of a fruit fly.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease. And as with all autoimmune diseases, the incidence of celiac disease is doubled or more in type 1 diabetics. Now, celiac disease is another sort of autoimmune disease where proteins from wheat cause an autoimmune response, and is pretty hard to diagnose at the moment. Takes a lot of invasive testing so it doesn't get diagnosed as much as it should.

But they're not talking about celiac disease incidence, they're talking about an abnormal immune response, which would be a super-set.

It is interesting that as it gets scrutinized more and more that they're finding more immune system issues surrounding wheat, or to be more specific, grains that get broken down into gliadins.