Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-06-10, 20:20

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%
Default American Diabetes Association Disclaimer

Quote:
The American Diabetes Association is leading the fight to stop diabetes and its deadly consequences and fighting for those affected by diabetes. The Association funds research to prevent, cure and manage diabetes; delivers services to hundreds of communities; provides objective and credible information; and gives voice to those denied their rights because of diabetes. Founded in 1940, our mission is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes. For more information please call the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES (1-800-342-2383) or visit www.diabetes.org. Information from both these sources is available in English and Spanish.

I followed a link which took me to the ADA website and at the bottom of the page, they had this claim/disclaimer.......

I have a little trouble believing a couple of things that they wrote:

1. Leading the fight to stop diabetes?
2. Provides objective and credible information?

To me, if they're truly fighting for us, they'd listen to all of our voices and address them appropriately....

Things I'd like to see:

1. Support for those of us who've found ways to control and reverse diabetic symptoms.

2. Educate Doctors about how they should be more supportive of Diabetics who are taking control of responsibility for their health and are willing to experiment and try new things, especially things such as low carb diets, vitamin and herbal supplements use.

3. Teach Diabetics that it is imperative to exercise and lose weight and to teach them how to do so effectively.

4. Teach Diabetics that they cannot depend on the medical establishment to solve their problems with medicines and/or insulin and just continue with their life as before and that to get control, they have to change their lifestyle.

Anyone care to add their own thoughts to this..........????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-07-10, 10:52

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Anyone care to add their own thoughts to this..........????

nuttin' except to to say "agreed"
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-07-10, 14:41

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

They need to grow a pair and just tell people they are going to have to avoid carbohydrates like they did up until whenever it was that they jumped on the low fat bandwagon. It seems to me that they have just decided that people won't stay off of carbs so they are offering an alternative. If they are so convinced that people won't do it, they should print two diets and tell folks that the high carb one is for those with no willpower but that if they will do the real diabetic diet, they will feel better and that it gets easier.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-07-10, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
They need to grow a pair and just tell people they are going to have to avoid carbohydrates like they did up until whenever it was that they jumped on the low fat bandwagon. It seems to me that they have just decided that people won't stay off of carbs so they are offering an alternative. If they are so convinced that people won't do it, they should print two diets and tell folks that the high carb one is for those with no willpower but that if they will do the real diabetic diet, they will feel better and that it gets easier.

I like that........

It isn't that their diet is good or bad for a healthy person, it is just that a diabetic can never get healthy following their diet recommendations. I'm as convinced of that as I can be... I doubt many have done much more experimenting than I have and adjusting diet & supplements over and over as I have and if in all my years of trying, I'm no closer than I am to their recommendations; which is a about 50-60% of the amount of carbs they recommend, then I don't think anyone can control their Blood Glucose by diet and exercise alone following the ADA... It might be able to be done with meds and/or insulin and exercise along with their diet, but not without meds and/or insulin......

And, when first starting to control with diet, supplements and exercise, the amount of carbs have to be much lower than what I'm consuming now...
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 05:12

Plan: Low-Carb Mediterranean Di
Stats: 173/168/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

In 2008, the ADA did finally "allow" for use of low-carb diets for up to a year in overweight type 2 diabetics.

At least it's a start.

-Steve
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 07:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD
In 2008, the ADA did finally "allow" for use of low-carb diets for up to a year in overweight type 2 diabetics.

At least it's a start.

-Steve

For them to say that lc should be limited by putting a time frame on it tells me that either A) They think people will see that it's so doable that after a year when they feel better, they will stay on of their own choice or B) they're sending a message to those who are unwilling to avoid sugar or bread that it's fine to just stay on insulin and that the diet is actually bad for them anyway. I think it's the latter. I don't think they want to help diabetics stay off of insulin. I think they depend on the funds from the pharmaceutical companies to the point that to help diabetics stay insulin free, would kill the goose, so to speak. I have a harsher opinion of them than I did when I wrote my first post on this thread.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
For them to say that lc should be limited by putting a time frame on it tells me that either A) They think people will see that it's so doable that after a year when they feel better, they will stay on of their own choice or B) they're sending a message to those who are unwilling to avoid sugar or bread that it's fine to just stay on insulin and that the diet is actually bad for them anyway. I think it's the latter. I don't think they want to help diabetics stay off of insulin. I think they depend on the funds from the pharmaceutical companies to the point that to help diabetics stay insulin free, would kill the goose, so to speak. I have a harsher opinion of them than I did when I wrote my first post on this thread.

I think you're on to something....

I must say though, that I went very l/c at first and then my wife increased it and now I'm moderately eating l/c and both worked for me, but neither way would work in all situations, not for me, for sure....

The way I see it. We're all out of balance with our health, so to speak, and we all have different adjustments to make to get in balance. It is a never ending series of adjustments that we must make over a life time. There is no one diet to fit all people in all situations and no one diet to fit one person in all situations. We're aging and as we age, things change even when we're trying to be consistent with diet & exercise and we must make changes or suffer consequences.

I don't hear anyone in the medical community saying that to anyone.....

It's definitely all about the money, way more than it is about getting Americans healthy. I read something a while back that might fit this situation:

"Trust everyone, but cut the cards"
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-24-10, 08:43

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The American Diabetes Association gets lots of money from the drug companies and the carbohydrate suppliers. The ADA therefore recommends the use of drugs to control blood glucose levels while eating lots of carbs.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-24-10, 21:22

Plan: lacto-ovo moderate carb
Stats: 163/147/141 Female 5 ft 5 "
BF:
Progress: 73%

I am sure individual doctors also get a cut from the drug companies (through representatives). So they make everyone believe that diet does not really matter and they just need more medication.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-25-10, 08:52

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I would like to give the ADA a pat on the back for their support of a LC diet as an option:

http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/infor..._low_carbs.html
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-25-10, 09:42

I am closer to an ADA diet than most diabetics could ever dream of being while not needing to use medication to control blood glucose, but the ADA still has not earned any Kudos from me with their feeble endorsement of a low-carb diet.

I see their support of a low-carb diet plan as weak and sort of patronizing. It's obvious they realize more and more people are trying to resolve their diabetes problems with alternative ways, which includes a low-carb diet. They are trying to not distance themselves from this group, hoping to maintain some type of influence, but as far as I'm concerned they fall way short of being responsible as a health organization.

It sounds to me they're still using scare tactics by saying such a diet should only be followed for a year and I hate it when somebody tells me to check with my Doctor before changing my diet. Not having a Medical degree is not tentamount to being an idiot or misinformed.

Plain and simple; the ADA supports the use of medicine and insulin as part of any diabetic plan moreso than trying to get people to learn to control with diet and exercise. They don't even come close to giving the right information for diabetics who are depending on them for proper information to have a chance at reversing the effects of diabetes.

The bottom line; we can only depend on ourselves and to the degree to which we can inform ourselves through trial and errors, monitoring, listening to peer groups such as here in this forum, reading and studying and using common sense to know what might be better for us and always having the goal to be able to eat an all natural diet without the restriction of any food group and realizing that exercise should be part of our everyday life, just like the air that we breathe...

Each day, we are either squandering or accumulating our health...
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-25-10, 11:07

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Quote:
The bottom line; we can only depend on ourselves and to the degree to which we can inform ourselves through trial and errors, monitoring, listening to peer groups such as here in this forum, reading and studying and using common sense to know what might be better for us and always having the goal to be able to eat an all natural diet without the restriction of any food group and realizing that exercise should be part of our everyday life, just like the air that we breathe...

Amen Brother, AMEN! That's one of the most inspirational things I've ever read. Thanks for sharing!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-25-10, 11:47

"I see their support of a low-carb diet plan as weak and sort of patronizing. It's obvious they realize more and more people are trying to resolve their diabetes problems with alternative ways, which includes a low-carb diet. They are trying to not distance themselves from this group, hoping to maintain some type of influence, but as far as I'm concerned they fall way short of being responsible as a health organization."

I agree that they are trying to help stem the tide of people going other routes to improve their health by seeking prevention rather than treatment. I think the medical community is circling the wagons and they're part of it.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-25-10, 15:24

[QUOTE=CallmeAnn I think the medical community is circling the wagons[/QUOTE]

That's a good way to put it......

It's us against them and it shouldn't have to be that way.

I was in a small discussion group with some friends this morning and one of my friends was telling about 3 brothers in a small town about 30 years ago and how; one was a Doctor, one a pharmacist and the other an undertaker. Between the three of them, they were going to make money off of everyone, one way or the other. All they needed to control the entire town is to have a 4th brother who could have been a lawyer....

Even small towns ain't small anymore and we're living in a world of a lot of information being available at our fingertips. People are taking control of their health and learning that they don't have to be controlled by disease and that most disease is preventable and controllable without the need for Doctors and medicines. The medical community, which is one of the largest industries in the world is scared and they want us to be scared so they can control us and keep us dependent on them.

The answers to our diabetic problems is not complicated as many will have us believe. I suffered a lot of mental anguish while in the care of Doctors and while using medicines for treatment and I truly believed everything they told me. It is not easy to let our bodies heal itself, but the process is very simple and it is not stressful at all.

The FDA, AMA, ADA, The Surgeon General, the entire pharmaceutical industry, the lobbyists, Doctors, Lawyers who represent the medical establishment, the bought and paid for Politicians, etc...... It is a conspiracy and guess what; they don't have to conspire with one another. The whole entire medical establishment and all those that are spin offs of it are part of a System that is all powerful and self serving to perpetuate itself..... Individuals working within the System don't even know what it is they are a part of and certainly don't see any harm in what they are doing as they are blinded by the salaries they're making and not all are in this to rip anyone off, just folks like everyone else wanting to make a living, and some with actual pure intentions of trying to do some good for society...

I sound like a fanatic, right... only because I can see the forest through the trees, where most cannot....

The oil for the machine, that keeps the system running is "WE, the PEOPLE", who don't take responsibility for our own health..... Every time I choose to eat the wrong way or not do a myriad of other things that are all within my power to do, I'm indirectly part of the system.

I met the enemy and it was me....
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-25-10, 17:14

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

The ADA is a medical trade group. I wouldn't look to them to do anything other than what benefits that particular medical trade.

Reading their mission again...

Quote:
The ADA funds research ... ; delivers services ... ; provides objective and credible information; and gives voice to those denied their rights because of diabetes.
Nowhere does it say, they work to bring down the disease. I find it so strange that they don't account for results anywhere.

Like little charts right on the front page of the web site, "how are we doing... Prevented, X percent improved; cured, Y%; managed, Z%"