Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-17, 15:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Undoctored by Dr. William Davis

Quote:
Here’s an excerpt from my new book, Undoctored: Why Healthcare Has Failed You and How You Can Become Smarter Than Your Doctor. In Undoctored, I take the lessons learned from the worldwide Wheat Belly experience and put them to work in a new program that helps reverse hundreds of health conditions–because conventional healthcare has abdicated its responsibility and is no longer about reclaiming health.

The Undoctored movement will get you and your family back on track, having cracked the code on health, slenderness, and higher levels of life performance. The book will be released May 9th, 2017, but is available for pre-order on Amazon.

Undoctored: An Excerpt

Many modern doctors hold themselves up as all-knowing, capable of managing every aspect of health, from delivery to death, from vaccination to senility. I know because I was guilty of this. The “I’m-the-doctor, you’re-the patient relationship” has been frozen in time since the days of Hippocrates. Despite the high-tech image, old-fashioned methods are still used to maintain paternalistic authority. Doctoring means wearing a white coat to impress ignorant, helpless patients, the appearance of authority designed to exploit the power of the placebo, long waiting room stays erected as barriers to the privilege of gaining the wisdom of presumed experts, while the monolithic world of medical billing remains impenetrable. All of it seems positively fossilized in an age of immediate information access, on-demand videos, drone deliveries, and the democratization of discussion via social media. Doctors hold themselves up as the gatekeepers of health information and regard the average person as ill-informed and inexperienced, a health simpleton who is powerless in administering any aspect of health. In what other industry can the provider of a service operate with such disregard for customer satisfaction? Imagine buying a car from a salesperson who used intimidation to raise prices, refused to answer questions, and brushed off your concerns as those of a naive automotive nonexpert; I doubt you’d drive off happily in a new hybrid convertible.

The information tide has shifted. Public ignorance in health may have been the rule in 1950, but rapid dissemination of information in our age has usurped this lopsided relationship, making the paternalistic doctor-patient relationship of the past as relevant as trepanation (drilling holes in the skull—yes, a real practice) to treat migraines. You have access to the same information as your doctor. And it doesn’t involve leafing through dozens of thick volumes of the Index Medicus and then having to retrieve a study from dusty stacks of medical journals, like I did during my medical training. The newly leveled playing field of immediately accessible information means thata new clinical study read by your neurologist or gynecologist is available to you with a few mouse clicks. The cultlike, guarded monopoly over health information is long gone, replaced by immediate, widespread information readily accessible to everyone. The resources available to us have exploded. And they continue to increase at an exponential rate.

The growth in medical information means that the education your doctor received during medical school and training is dusty, moth-ridden, and obsolete. Information doubled every 50 years in 1950, every 7 years in 1980, and every 3.5 years in 2010. If current trends continue, it will double every 73 days by 2020. And information growth is not just within medicine but also in other areas that impact human health, such as toxicology, due to the proliferation of industrial toxins in the environment that disrupt endocrine health and increase risk for cancer, or environmental science and urban planning, since city noise, smog, congestion, and stress all affect various aspects of health. No living human can keep up with the information load and hope to provide up-to-date health care, no matter how smart, how hardworking, how fancy their equipment, or how many operating rooms they have. Dealing with this boom in health information requires new tools to organize it all, put it to practical use, and extract maximum health benefit.

What if we combined the newly found informational freedom provided by Internet search capabilities with the human feedback tool of social media and the rise in direct-to-consumer testing that circumvents the doctor, then threw in a little benign guidance from sources that do not seek to profit from providing it? You might just be on your way to wielding considerable authority over your own health. When you apply the methods unique to the Information Age, unconcerned with ritual, intimidation, and profit, to your health, some pretty darned incredible things can happen: Weight melts away effortlessly, joint pain and skin rashes recede, acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome symptoms reverse within days, fibromyalgia and ulcerative colitis begin a powerful retreat, prescription medications become superfluous—all by sharing in a growing collective information exchange.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2017/...red-an-excerpt/

Dang, have to wait until May!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-17, 15:21

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I am definitely pre-ordering! With the proliferation of books that's been happening lately I had just about decided that I was not buying another book on low carb diet and nutrition but this one sounds different and right in line with my own thinking. I feel validated already. I look forward to hearing what he has to say.

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-17, 16:14

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Sounds very exciting.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-17, 17:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I'm in. Love Dr Davis!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-17, 06:58

BF:

Discovered his Cureality site and I'm really impressed with the scope of his vision and his committment.

And, sadly, thinking that if I talk about it to most of the people I know, it will sound utterly Lunatic Fringe.

Bread and noodles are killing us? Statins are dangerous? Fat is good? Diabetes type II can be cured? Dementia can be staved off? Arthritis can be managed with diets and supplements instead of drugs that destroy the digestive system? Heart disease can be turned around?

I would be looked upon as someone who has lost touch with reality. When they are the ones living in a false world.

It makes me tired, it really does.

Last edited by WereBear : Mon, Feb-27-17 at 08:12.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-17, 07:41

BF:
Default Next book from Wheatbelly doctor: Undoctored

I have already pre-ordered my copy, and I am so impressed by the radical range of Dr. Davis' vision.

In his latest blog post, Why Wheat Belly . . . and what’s next?

Quote:
This is why I felt compelled to create the next step. The Wheat Belly experience provided a starting point for the concepts that are further advanced in my newest labor of love, Undoctored: Why Health Care Has Failed You And How You Can Become Smarter Than Your Doctor.

By pre-ordering the book, you can sign up for bonuses through his site. In another blog post, Undoctored: Giving back control over individual health, he has this excerpt from the book (which I have shortened):

Quote:
Unquestionably, there are situations in which doctoring and the healthcare system are needed. If you are bleeding, injured, or struggling to breathe with pneumonia, some old-fashioned suturing, bone-setting, or antibiotics can still do the trick. ... (The Institute of Medicine reported that, in 2009 alone, $209 billion was spent on unnecessary medical services, $75 billion was lost to fraud, with many more hundreds of billions lost to inefficiencies, inflated pricing, and excessive administrative costs. The dollars spent on the unnecessary and dishonest in healthcare nearly match the total dollars spent by the U.S. military every year.)

Let’s be absolutely clear: I propose that people can manage their own health safely and responsibly and achieve results superior to that achieved through conventional healthcare—not less than, not on a par with, but superior. Although you may find this proposal brash, if my experiences with thousands of people over the last decade are any indication, the great majority of people who adopt a handful of simple strategies can obtain health that is vastly superior to that obtained through conventional means with drugs and procedures, not to mention the awful message that passes for modern dietary advice. You will learn that, for an astounding and long list of health conditions, the code has been cracked. I propose that everyday people can achieve startling results without prescription drugs, without hospitals, without medical procedures, by largely sidestepping the doctor, using information and tools that inform, measure, and support self-directed efforts. And it’s relatively easy, inexpensive, safe, even fun.

... but modern innovations have not yet been fully exploited to empower the individual in health. Well, the time has come: the tools of technology, coupled with a critical mass of new information and crowd interactive potential, have reached levels that now allow the everyday person to take back personal control over health.

I am incredibly excited. This is what my own journey has been all about; at every turn, medical science has not been nearly as helpful as it should have been. Let's cut out useless middlemen, shall we not?

And get to the heart of things. And all the other organs, too!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-17, 08:25

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

This has been my journey too. I had no choice but to eliminate the middleman. It was the only way to regain my health. It is an ongoing project. I have pre-ordered the book.

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-17, 19:12

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Love that excerpt. I think I'll have to pre-order a copy too. (There, just pre-ordered)
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-17, 19:27

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Just pre-ordered my copy.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-17, 19:53

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Discovered his Cureality site and I'm really impressed with the scope of his vision and his committment.

And, sadly, thinking that if I talk about it to most of the people I know, it will sound utterly Lunatic Fringe.

Bread and noodles are killing us? Statins are dangerous? Fat is good? Diabetes type II can be cured? Dementia can be staved off? Arthritis can be managed with diets and supplements instead of drugs that destroy the digestive system? Heart disease can be turned around?

I would be looked upon as someone who has lost touch with reality. When they are the ones living in a false world.

It makes me tired, it really does.

I know exactly how you feel. I experience this all of the time. We have learned the truth and unfortunately so many people are in denial because they haven't taken the time to learn like we have. At least we can talk about these things here!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-17, 12:22

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Imagine buying a car from a salesperson who used intimidation to raise prices, refused to answer questions, and brushed off your concerns as those of a naive automotive nonexpert; I doubt you’d drive off happily in a new hybrid convertible.

In the light of recent events concerning national health care, it's important to note that something like 80% spent on medical care (DON'T quote me on this--I'm just coming off the top of my head, but it's high) involves chronic diseases. You know: diabetes, hypertension, and many conditions we know of around this site that are associated with dietary habits. We might even include dementia and "old age"--those ever-growing categories of the population.

Time to take charge, people. Stay out of the hands of the medical business as much as you can.

Off to preorder. I know--Dr. Davis is such a "quack" but thank God he keeps on quacking!

P. S. To give the doctors some credit, can you imagine keeping up in a field where knowledge doubles every 73 days??? We need to keep up with our own interests, and be diplomatic about self-diagnoses. The DATA should support our efforts.

Last edited by bkloots : Sun, Mar-26-17 at 12:29.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-17, 12:56

BF:

What is even more scary is how badly medical science handles chronic disease. We are fantastic at surgery and trauma medicine; there's never been a better time in history to "fall into a combine."

But at the other end of the spectrum: expensive and disastrous.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-17, 07:08

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
We are fantastic at surgery and trauma medicine
A dear friend is trying to find a solution to chronic back pain--spinal stenosis and other stuff. She's already had a surgery that "might or might not help." Didn't. Now she's being advised to do surgery again. She might. Her rationale? Medicare will pay for it, but not for, say, acupuncture (which is worth a try, if only to interfere with the pain pathways her system has worked up.) She fears opioid addiction. But what if she couldn't get them at all because a lot of people (what a surprise!) are addicted? It's a very troubling world for patients and doctors alike.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-17, 10:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
A dear friend is trying to find a solution to chronic back pain--spinal stenosis and other stuff. She's already had a surgery that "might or might not help." Didn't. Now she's being advised to do surgery again. She might. Her rationale? Medicare will pay for it, but not for, say, acupuncture (which is worth a try, if only to interfere with the pain pathways her system has worked up.) She fears opioid addiction. But what if she couldn't get them at all because a lot of people (what a surprise!) are addicted? It's a very troubling world for patients and doctors alike.

I'm so sorry for your friend; I hear such stories all the time.

Make it seem like... a scam. You know?

Now for something cheap that also might work: a book, The Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion. I've helped at least a dozen people with it. Good luck to her!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-17, 15:24
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Who am I to ignore new ideas? I hope to find avenues I missed along the way in this new book. I ordered the Kindle version.

As for sharing the joy of wellness with others, I'm with you on that as well. People who don't think for themselves just go along with the old ways. Some of them live long, healthy lives. However, most live drugged-up long, trailing-off lives. Unless somebody asks me, I use the "don't ask, don't tell" method of communicating.