Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 03:29

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Oh Mike - I am so sorry! What an ordeal!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 08:08

Plan: Mayo Clinic Diet
Stats: 188/169/158 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I am still looking for information about the Mayo Clinic diet. Not the one from Mayo Clinic. The grapefruit diet that has been passed around by word of mouth. Has anyone tried it with success? I have googled numerous sites for copies of the diet, and many of them are different! Some list no cheese at all. Some say any cheese. None of them say whether or not alcohol is allowed. I know the Atkins allows hard liquor, and I was wondering if the Mayo Clinic Diet does. Does anyone know? I am just looking for a few answers from people who either have used the diet, or know someone who has used it. I am not looking for reasons why I shouldn't do the diet, please be polite and keep negative opinions to yourself.
Thanks so much.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 08:20

Plan: slow and local
Stats: 150/133.2/100 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 34%

Lisa

Look at post #12.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 08:25

BF:

I did look at post #12 and it doesn't answer my questions?
Still looking for answers!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 10:11

Plan: lc my way
Stats: 285/207.6/170 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Lisa,
I have lost 15 lbs following this diet. You can have cheese, just in moderation. I put shredded cheese on my salads. You cannot have alcohol unless you drink it on your 2 off days. I stopped drinking the grapefruit juice for a few weeks and my weight loss stopped. It is supposed to be the combination of the listed foods with the grapefruit that causes the weight loss. This is basically a low carb diet. The grapefruit insures you recieve the same amount of carbs at each meal. If you have any more questions feel free to ask me
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 13:07
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa53098
I am still looking for information about the Mayo Clinic diet. Not the one from Mayo Clinic. The grapefruit diet that has been passed around by word of mouth. Has anyone tried it with success? I have googled numerous sites for copies of the diet, and many of them are different! Some list no cheese at all. Some say any cheese. None of them say whether or not alcohol is allowed. I know the Atkins allows hard liquor, and I was wondering if the Mayo Clinic Diet does. Does anyone know? I am just looking for a few answers from people who either have used the diet, or know someone who has used it. I am not looking for reasons why I shouldn't do the diet, please be polite and keep negative opinions to yourself.
Thanks so much.
I doubt you're going to get hard and fast answers to your questions. There are dozens of versions of that diet, if not more. There are no real rules about what you should and should not eat. It's a "word of mouth" plan, altered by thousands of people over many years.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 14:04

BF:

Thank you Blumumz for your experience with the Mayo Clinic Diet and alcohol consumption. Do you know if beets are allowed? Every description says, "Any red vegetable".

As far as comments from Kisal, I know that it is a "word of mouth plan", that is why I joined a forum such as this, so that I could get first hand experiences from people who have tried it. I have learned from several answers that this diet works. Several have said that they eliminated the grapefruit after a few weeks and the weight loss stalled. I find that very interesting. You'd think that by dropping off the carbs that are in the grapefruit, that the weight loss would increase! There has to be something about the combination of protein/fats/grapefruit. I love grapefruit, and the dark red ones are readily available in Wisconsin now. I only think I'll stay on this for 4 to 6 weeks, then go back to the Atkins. We'll see how it goes. I am planning on starting this coming Sunday morning.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 14:18

BF:

If your beet isnt pickled it might be OK. I know this sounds iffy, but try it and if you still loose its probably ok. Alot of the vegetables not allowed are because of how they react with the grapefruit juice. You might try the diet without the beets first and see how you do, than add in the fresh (not pickled) in and see how your results are. Alot depends on your paticular body chemistry I think. But again this is my opinion. Try it and if you still are loosing Ok. If not wait until your free days and have it then.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 14:20

BF:

If you start on a Monday than you have everyother weekend off. FYI
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 14:22

BF:

Hey lisa, if you start a journal I can help you there, or you can always come to mine if you have any questions that you dont want to post for the public
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 14:28

BF:

Thank you. I think I might start a journal next week when I start the diet. Your comments have been most helpful to me.
Thanks again!
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 14:37

BF:

your welcome
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 16:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

*Moderator note*
Quote:
As far as comments from Kisal, I know that it is a "word of mouth plan", that is why I joined a forum such as this, so that I could get first hand experiences from people who have tried it.

Just for the record, this forum supports published plans, rather than made up, word of mouth ones.
Quote:
I am not looking for reasons why I shouldn't do the diet, please be polite and keep negative opinions to yourself.

And people are very welcome to give you negative opinions about a made up plan, if they think they can help you by doing so. I still think you would be far better off following a published plan. If you look through "Plans" on the top green menu bar, you will see summaries of plans that are supported by this forum. Perhaps you will find one there that does suit you?
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 18:03

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

The plan I follow - Cameron - started out as samizdat (mimeographed sheets passed around) in the early 1960s and is still around. The plan consists of eating less than 60 grams of carbs per day. That's it, everything else is explanation of how it works or why it works or recipes or suggested menus.

No need to publish books about it - Cameron wasn't interested in making money off his plan. I've seen several people here talk about plans they follow that don't include books. Some of them have simple instructions online, or on paper. If the plan is low-carb, we can help each other follow it and succeed at it.

Lisa, I used to do the Fit For Life thing of fruit alone for breakfast until I started low-carbing. After a month or so, I realized I felt better with the fruit alone for breakfast, so I've been eating berries or melon or other low-carb fruit for breakfast, and eating low-carb for the rest of the day. Just another way to try it - your grapefruit or grapefruit juice might go down easier that way.

My mother used the Mayo Clinic diet, the one you follow, and I did it with her occasionally. It did work. Like Blumunz, I invite you to my journal for additional help and encouragement.

Meg
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 09:08

Plan: mayo
Stats: 165/145/110 Female 5'2" w/ shoes!!
BF:
Progress: 36%

Lisa, I had posted a while back hoping to get someone to join me in this plan. I'm not sure why there are negative comments. It is a healthy LC plan. I would love to do this with you. Are you still planning on doing it? The version I read did not include cheese (although I am not opposed to eating some). I did not see the version that allows cream for coffee. I would like to be able to have some (this is the only reason I have a hard time sticking with it). I wish I could answer about the beets. But I agree with another poster who said try them and see. I would start on Mon. 16th. Please let me know if you are going to start this. Anybody else??????????

BTW-I, too, googled the plan and found LOTS of positive testimony about weight loss.