Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-13, 15:45
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Low Carb Cake Donuts

My husband has always liked really plain cake donuts: no icing, no flavors, no sprinkles, no powdered sugar, no cream fillings, no nothing beyond vanilla extract really. When we were still dating, I couldn’t believe we’d go into Dunkin’ Donuts on Congress Avenue, downtown Austin and he would order plain cake donuts!! All those luscious donut varieties staring back from the glass display cases didn’t phase him at all! Only other donut I ever saw him voluntarily buy was a glazed, strawberry jelly donut. Talk about contrast! Even now, he’s a perfectly happy camper with a package of Dolly Madison plain cake donuts from the grocery store! I don’t think they even make them anymore, to be quite honest. So I decided today I’d try my hand at a low-carb version of his beloved Dolly Madison cake donuts.

I couldn’t be more pleased with the result! My inspiration here were two lovely ladies doing much kitchen experimentation on Low-Carb Friends forums: Ouizoid and Sungoddess. These donuts have a lovely texture, the required hint of nutmeg, and I’m certain Dolly herself would be proud if she were alive and could taste these! These donuts are not suitable for Atkins Induction but are OK once you get to Phase 2 OWL if the oat fiber, a virtual carb wash at 96% fiber, doesn’t cause you any issues or weight gain.
INGREDIENTS:

1/2 c. + 3 T. oat fiber
1/2 c. + 3 T. coconut flour
¼ c. plain, unsweetened whey protein powder
¼ c. egg white protein powder (pure powdered egg whites)
1 T. baking powder
1 T. glucomannan powder (konjac powder)
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 pkt. stevia
½ c. Splenda (granular) (or equivalent sweetener of your choosing)
½ c. erythritol (granular)
2 T. melted butter, unsalted
2 large eggs, beaten
3 T. DaVinci vanilla SF syrup (or 1 tsp. vanilla extract + 2½ T. more water)
½ c. cream (or coconut milk)
½ c. water
Optional: mix a bit of cinnamon with a bit of granular erythritol to sprinkle on top if desired

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Measure all the dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and stir well. Break the eggs into the center of the dry ingredients and beat them well. Add cream, water, DaVinci syrup and melted butter. Stir well until batter is smooth. Batter will be quite thick. Lightly oil the 12 slots of 2 donut pans with oil of your choice. Spoon batter into slots until they are pretty full. There is just enough batter for 12 donuts in this recipe. Even out the batter with the back of a teaspoon. These do not rise much during baking, so overflow shouldn’t be a problem. Pop into 350º oven for about 17 minutes or until firm to the touch and just beginning to brown on the edges. Remove from oven and cool a few minutes and loosen them with a knife tip and serve cooled off a bit for best flavor melding. Top optionally with cinnamon/erythritol, powdered erythritol or low-carb icing of your choosing.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 donuts, each contains: (topping not included)

117 calories
8.2 g fat
13.6 g carbs, 9.15 g fiber, 4.45 g NET CARBS (using liquid sucralose, only 2.59 g net carbs)
5.6 g protein
114 mg sodium
20 mg potassium
10% RDA Vitamin A, < 10% all other macronutrients
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-13, 11:30

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Peggy, I made these today. A keeper! I had to add extra water because I'm beginning to suspect that my Honeyville coconut flour is extremely dry, and I didn't add enough I thought, though my mom thought they were good as is. (And she's not an LCer. ) I spread butter on top while they were hot and sprinkled a cinnamon, Swerve, pecan meal topping I had left over from something.

I also made your orange cranberry bread recently, using pecans, not walnuts but underbaked it a bit. Still had a good flavor though. (The donuts were made in my mom's brand new oven and the timing was perfect.)

Thanks for your generosity in always posting your recipes.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-13, 15:44
Patience Personified

Aw, thanks, JLx. Been out of town enjoying the Christmas lights down on the San Antonio Riverwalk this week. Lovely, but it was 32 and wind chill down to about 20 down here, so a bit bitter. So glad you liked those donuts and the cranberry orange bread. I love that bread during the holidays. Makes a nice muffin, too. Stay warm up there and have a may you and your family have a very Merry Christmas! (I used to live in Mt Clemons as a child, and know only too well how cold it gets up there).
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-13, 23:39

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Wow, Buttoni, these look brilliant!! While my husband is not averse to LC, there's no way he's willingly letting go of his carbs, either. He loves having donuts with his coffee, and his preference is for cake donuts also but with cinnamon. I can't wait to get the chance to work on these for him. Thank you so much for sharing!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-13, 08:17
Patience Personified

I hope you folks enjoy them!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 19:26

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

Yummy. These look good. I would like to try and cut it in half first to try them.