Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 17:46
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Thumbs up Study finds cracks in food pyramid

Study finds cracks in food pyramid

Researchers call guide outdated

Saturday, November 23, 2002

BY CAROL ANN CAMPBELL
Star-Ledger Staff

A Harvard study that followed more than 100,000 men and women challenges the nutritional thinking enshrined in the famous Food Guide Pyramid, the cornerstone of federal dietary guidelines.

Researchers who conducted the massive study, published in the December issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, call the pyramid outdated.

The Harvard researchers say the pyramid, an icon taught to children nationwide, encourages people to eat too many carbohydrates and too few fruits and vegetables. They say it fails to distinguish between good fats and bad fats, and should be toppled.

"My hope is that we can move toward a healthier diet to reduce obesity and chronic disease in America," said Marji McCullough, a nutritionist who worked on the Harvard study.

The pyramid prompted one of two food-related fights this week. The other was a dust-up between the American Heart Association and proponents of the popular Atkins diet.

The pyramid was created in 1992 by the United States Department of Agriculture, which has already decided to begin reviewing it next year.

People who followed the pyramid modestly reduced their risk of chronic disease. But researchers found that people who followed Harvard's dietary recommendations reduced their risk of chronic disease significantly more. Men, for instance, reduced their risk of heart disease by 39 percent, twice as much as those who followed the pyramid.

The Harvard diet calls for nine servings of fruits and vegetables each day, as well as a serving of nuts or tofu. It pushes fish and poultry over red meat, and three to six servings of whole grains each day. It also calls for unsaturated fats such as canola and olive oil over saturated fats.

The pyramid calls for six to 11 servings of rice, bread, cereal and pastas, and five to nine servings of fruits and vegetables.

"It gives people the false sense that diet should be composed mainly of bread," said Jana Klauer, a nutritional researcher in New York.

Not everyone wants to toss out the pyramid.

"I think the pyramid still has value. A serving of bread is only a half cup of rice, or one slice of bread," said Julie O'Sullivan Maillet, a researcher at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.

At its annual conference in Chicago this week, the American Heart Association began countering a recent study of the Atkins diet.

"We are concerned that because the paper was presented at our scientific meeting that people think we are now endorsing the diet," said Robert Bonow, president of the American Heart Association. The heart association remains deeply skeptical over the long-term consequences of a diet that lets followers eat bacon and eggs for breakfast and steak for lunch and dinner.

Atkins is a popular low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet that has been dismissed for decades by mainstream scientists because it can lead to high fat intake. But in the past year reputable scientists have begun putting Atkins to the test. Three studies presented at medical conferences this year found similar results: low-carb diets may actually take off more weight than low-fat diets, at least in the short run.

A Duke University study found that people on the Atkins diet lost an average of 31 pounds, compared with 20 pounds on the low-fat regime. Triglycerides, which increase the risk of heart disease, fell more among the Atkins volunteers.

Scientists said the diet is safe enough for further study.

"It's going to take a while for the staunch advocates of 'low fat' to come around. It's hard to admit you have villainized something unnecessarily," said Colette Heimowitz, director of research at the Atkins Health and Medical Information Services.

Bonow acknowledged the short-term success of Atkins.

"But what happens with time?" he asked. He said cholesterol levels can return when weight stabilizes, and that long-term consumption of high-saturated fats could lead to stroke or heart attack.

The Atkins diet is popular among people who say the program is easy to stay on. At Ruth's Chris Steak House in Parsippany, where everything is a la carte, manager Jon Cohen said patrons can easily follow Atkins. Many do.

"You don't get a potato unless you order it," he said.

Cohen went on the diet himself earlier this year and lost 30 pounds. He has kept 20 of them off.

"I had scrambled eggs in the morning. Turkey and muenster cheese for lunch. Dinner was a veal chop, or a four-ounce filet. You could eat at 7 p.m. and still go to bed full," he said.

Carol Ann Campbell covers medicine. She can be reached at ccampbell~starledger.com, or (973) 392-4148.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index...46419276790.xml
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 01:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
The pyramid calls for six to 11 servings of rice, bread, cereal and pastas... a serving of bread is only a half cup of rice, or one slice of bread

Why does this make me want to laugh my head off?

Eleven slices of bread a day?!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 09:39
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

The fact that the USDA published the food pyramid in 1992 without solid evidence that it worked makes me so angry! I just assumed that solid research back it up. I know I changed my eating over the years to conform the food pyramid recommendations and kept gaining weight.

I remember having a conversation with my grandmother ten years ago. She said, "I can't eat six to eleven slices of bread a day, I'll get fat!" I should have listened to her, not the government. She kept eating lots of protein and vegetables, and almost no carbohydrates, and never gained weight or developed heart disease. She is now in her 90s.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 14:49

Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%

This article says three studies on Atkins have been reported recently. I know of Duke and Cincinnati. What's the third?

Sheldon
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 14:53

Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Default Re: Study finds cracks in food pyramid

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian
He said...that long-term consumption of high-saturated fats could lead to stroke or heart attack.

They can say this till they're blue in the face. But where's the proof? Their own studies contradict this nonsense.

Sheldon
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 19:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheldon
This article says three studies on Atkins have been reported recently. I know of Duke and Cincinnati. What's the third?

Sheldon

I think there's more than just 3 studies that came out this year, but if I had to take a guess as to which one they consider the 3rd study (you're right, they didn't say), it may by this one from the University of Connecticut:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...?threadid=56291
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...?threadid=48076

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 13:34

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
"But what happens with time?" he asked. He said cholesterol levels can return when weight stabilizes, and that long-term consumption of high-saturated fats could lead to stroke or heart attack.

I get SO tired of all of these "experts" telling us about all of the horrible things that LC "can" do or even "will" do. This is just a smoke screen that they use because they are unable to state any horrible things that LC "did" do. People have been following LC diets in large numbers since the 60's and 70's - you would think it would have been trivially easy to demonstrate the horrible effects if any significant ones existed.

Compare this to the pro-LC studies and reports. They almost always cite actual numbers and actual effects. HOW much weight was lost. HOW much cholesterol changed. HOW much blood pressure changed.