Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 07:37

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 170/144/135 Female 165cm
BF:no idea
Progress: 74%
Default permanently stalled

I've come to the conclusion that the 5lbs I lost the week before was a scale malfunction and that I'd never lost nor regained that 5lbs.

This means that in 7 weeks on the beach I've lost no weight. My clothes are a bit looser though.

Any suggestions as to what's wrong?

2/3
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 08:23
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2of3
I've come to the conclusion that the 5lbs I lost the week before was a scale malfunction and that I'd never lost nor regained that 5lbs.

This means that in 7 weeks on the beach I've lost no weight. My clothes are a bit looser though.

Any suggestions as to what's wrong?

2/3

OK...you are not permanently stalled as the title of your thread says....you have added in way too many carbs(grains) too quickly and got a little lost in the process by following the advice of the other board that you go to...IMO.

I told you that this is going to take you time as you do not have a lot to lose and it is slower for those like yourself.

I suggest that you go on holiday and do the best that you can. Start over with phase I when you return. Try to limit your starches while you are away and enjoy your favorite fruits while in the tropics.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 08:49

I should've lost something in Phase 1, shouldn't I?

7 weeks is a long stall . . . especially when it's not mod process.

I should update my ticker but I don't know how to. So I'll gt a new one. I need to lose about 26lbs - that's more than a little.

I will start again in Phase 1 (and do 2 weeks) after my holiday and then we'll see if I manage to lose any weight then.
2/3

Last edited by 2of3 : Thu, Apr-05-07 at 09:15. Reason: add more info
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 11:33

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
I should've lost something in Phase 1, shouldn't I?

7 weeks is a long stall . . . especially when it's not mod process.

I should update my ticker but I don't know how to. So I'll gt a new one. I need to lose about 26lbs - that's more than a little.

I will start again in Phase 1 (and do 2 weeks) after my holiday and then we'll see if I manage to lose any weight then.
2/3

I'm sure that you have added in too many new Phase II foods too quickly, and that is why you've not seen the scales move in a downward direction.

Here's some great advice which was given to me by foxgluvs just as I was about to start Phase II of South Beach myself.

I suggest that you start up your journal again ... logging everything. That way it will be much easier for others to see what you're doing, and will be able to help in a more positive manner if you're going wrong.

I agree with Judy ... go on holiday, enjoy yourself and then start again properly when you get back
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 12:26
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Hi 2of3

Hey, don't fret, I have been there in your shoes. I lost well in the first two weeks, then as the plan went into phase 2 I went a bit mad with the carbs I could have, and I learnt very quickly that just because it says you can have 3 servings of fruit and 3 of grains, you really can't until you find out what those things do to you seperately. That takes weeks! Heck I still haven't got it completely right.

Do not dispair, the others have given you plenty of good advice, chill out, go on holiday, come back with a fresh eye to it all and you'll start to lose weight!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 13:25

I only added one thing in the first week (of phase 2) and that was the rye crisp breads.
Added one thing the 2nd week - fruit (blueberries and strawberries) but started to vary my starch serving a bit. Had ww pita some days and some days I had sweet potato, oats (not flour).
3rd week (this week) - I added another starch. This is 3 days so far - had rice noodles for dinner (not even a full serving) in addition to my ww pita yesterday (lunch).

At no point have I lost any weight. That, to me, is ringing alarm bells.

SBD can't work for everybody and I may fall into that category. If I'd lost and then stalled, then I'd think where did I go wrong. But as I've never lost, it means I went wrong even before I started.

I still keep track of my food - just not in the same place. I use sparkpeople and it lets me see how much calories and carbs and fat and protein I've been having. I've hardly ever gone over 1200 calories in anyone day.

2/3
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 19:33

Stats: 165/135.1/130 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:36%/27.5%/26%
Progress: 85%

I'm so sorry you're feeling discouraged, 2/3. I know it must be frustrating not to be able to see the results you hoped for.

*hugs*
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-07, 02:57
From Flab to Fab!

No 2of3, if it's not working for you then you really should change plans.
I agree, good luck with Atkins!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-07, 13:52

I can't go back to Atkins. I don't like the thought of it - ketosis, counting carbs, fewer lunch options.

When I did it the first time I could manage because we had a decent cafeteria at work and I could just get a piece of meet and some cooked veggies . . . but that option is no longer available to me.

I'm off to the chinese quack shop for some acupunture.

2/3
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-07, 14:31
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
I can't go back to Atkins. I don't like the thought of it - ketosis, counting carbs, fewer lunch options.

When I did it the first time I could manage because we had a decent cafeteria at work and I could just get a piece of meet and some cooked veggies . . . but that option is no longer available to me.

I'm off to the chinese quack shop for some acupunture.

2/3

Oh my...can't make up your mind.....huh?

I posted to you in your "Atkins vs South Beach" thread in the newbie question area.
Did you see what I wrote?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-07, 04:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Oh my...can't make up your mind.....huh?

I posted to you in your "Atkins vs South Beach" thread in the newbie question area.
Did you see what I wrote?

That's absolutely correct. I can't decide.

I see what you wrote but it doesn't explain why I was stalled in phase 1 too - before I added any fruit or grain back.

I understand what you're saying and as someone who did and liked Atkins before, I agree with you. But adding flour was the only way I could see to make the diet fit with my lifestyle.

SBD would still my preferred way if I can make it work. I've had long conversations with my sister and her friend, who introduced me to SBD in the first place. They wax lyrically about SBD and can't understand why I didn't at least lose a couple of lbs in Phase 1. I did lose some inches though - but that's no comfort to be. I hate being overweight.

I'm even considering doing phase 1 more like the atkins induction and then switching to SBD phase 2. Even from the first time I did SBD, I had reservations over beans and legumes.

I don't know. I'm on holiday for the next 4 weeks and don't want to think too much about weight or diets as it'd just depressed me (as it's been doing for the past few weeks).

2/3
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 13:54
From Flab to Fab!

AWould you not be better with something like Weight Watchers? If you really can't live without bread and flour products, then perhaps switching to a plan which is not technically low carb might be better for you.
I don't know what the answer is - but I know that you need to get on a plan 100% and stick with it, because all the changing about will seriouslly mess up your metabolism.
Good luck with whatever you chose to do!
Have a good holiday