Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-24-17, 11:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%
Default weight is flying off

My weight has been flying off since I started using intermitten fasting with Atkins. I am going to revise my goal weight. Going off diet coke and a four hour eating window has blasted me threw a multy year stall. I have been stalled for so long everytime the scale goes down I have a hard time wrapping my mind around it. I keep waiting for it to jump back up . My whole life I have been a super slow loser so I am having a hard time believing this fast lost is true. I am losing between two and four pound per week. With the occasional couple pound jumps back up on the scale then a solid whoosh where the weight stays down and then I see a new low and rinse and repeat. I am a female in my 50s so its hard to believe my body is responding so well. I am thinking of revising my goal. As long as I am losing I might as well go with it Has anyone here had such a big positive change in their wight loss at a older age?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-24-17, 12:02

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Yes, in my seventies. Adding intermittent fasting to low carb gave me about a twenty pound loss that also broke a multi-year stall. Now I'm stalled again for a few weeks. I guess my body has to get used to its current weight before it gets back to losing.

Meg
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-24-17, 12:28

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Likewise, I've lost about fifteen pounds in the last couple of months after struggling with a difficult illness. Now that I'm better, the IF works really well.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-24-17, 12:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

IF also works when you have wandered from the straight LC path and need to get back on track...a type of maintenance strategy though not the recommended one. Better not to let the weight get out of hand in the first place.
But I did, damaged my knee hiking last August, had arthroscopic surgery, then the holidays, cruise, the usual (not the stress you have had). But even though I have rarely set foot back in the gym, only short walking, 15 pounds have come off by mixing up the IF routines. Learned doing OMAD is just a form of calorie restriction that stops working, and sometimes we need to "shake things up" with our routines. IF is perfect for that...it can be longer, or with shorter or longer feasting periods, or switch the timing...Eat only breakfast rather than only dinner. Work your meals around a business/social schedule. Longer ones are amazing for reducing blood sugar levels well beyond the IF period. I overate last night yet my BG was mid-70s this morning, and I'm 66. . It is the perfect solution for stubborn insulin resistance...those high insulin levels finally begin to lower after all glycogen is used up, and body fat stores can be accessed.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, May-24-17 at 14:34.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-24-17, 18:21
Registered Member

Stats: 308/285.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyna
My weight has been flying off since I started using intermitten fasting with Atkins. I am going to revise my goal weight. Going off diet coke and a four hour eating window has blasted me threw a multy year stall. I have been stalled for so long everytime the scale goes down I have a hard time wrapping my mind around it. I keep waiting for it to jump back up . My whole life I have been a super slow loser so I am having a hard time believing this fast lost is true. I am losing between two and four pound per week. With the occasional couple pound jumps back up on the scale then a solid whoosh where the weight stays down and then I see a new low and rinse and repeat. I am a female in my 50s so its hard to believe my body is responding so well. I am thinking of revising my goal. As long as I am losing I might as well go with it Has anyone here had such a big positive change in their wight loss at a older age?

GREAT job!! - so just to clarify - you eat 4 hours a day and then nothing for 20? I know there are many different ways to do IF. Do you have nothing but water the rest of the time? I'm guessing even a coffee with cream wouldn't count as fasting.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 09:41

BF:

I don,t eat anything during the 20 hour fasting time. I drink plain black coffee although I have heard bpc is okay during fasting. Yesterday I had a cheese stick , 6 Brussel sprouts and a steak, 1/2 cup sugar free jello with4 tbsp whipcream. On weekends I eat when ever I want and up the calories and the carbs to thirty.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 13:17

BF:

If I skip a meal I often have tea with coconut oil instead. Seems to work great
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 13:52

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i'm curious about what your activity level is like?

i keep hearing about all the benefits of IF, but when i don't eat, i sort of wind down and lose my oomph.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 04:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Whether on LC or fasting, the answer to low energy is often more water and salt (super important to hydrate on IF) or more fat. Like WearBear the morning with a 7 am aerobics class, I add coconut oil. A true fast is nothing but water, but unless you are doing it for cancer treatment or spiritual reasons, coffee, tea, broth with salt, and even small amounts of pure fat, are allowed on Dr Fung's protocol. Not a 700 cal. BPC, but a tsp. of oil if you feel hungry or not enough energy.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 08:27

BF:

I have done well making sure I get enough potassium (abundant in meat) and sodium (I use sea salt generously) and I supplement with chelated magnesium.

This is the trio of electrolyte balance. If it's not working, ain't nothing working.

Fat in tea may not be "true" fasting, but it is not something that triggers any insulin release for me, which is my goal. If I can skip a meal and be satisfied with my bulletproof tea, that's fine with me
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 12:31

BF:

My energy is fine for the most part. I have a little low point after I clean the stalls and take care of the horses. Those chores takes a few hours so I timed my eating window to start shortly after my afternoon energy slump. I was low carb for a long time before I started fasting so I was aready well adapted to low carb. I tried to have a one hour eating window and I had a major energy slump about two hours before my eating time.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 22:24
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Yeah, I am 68 now and was stuck at 208 several years ago. Tried IF 23/1 for one Winter and dropped a stone then went to two reasonable meals a day after that to get down to 190. I still exercise about the same amount, but now also watch total days calories as losing gets much harder.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 13:38

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I learned about Dr. Fung from the Diet Doctor site, and I got a lot of valuable information from Fung's various videos. I also bought his book on IF. I've incorporated his ideas into my own routines, which I vary. Sometimes I do a complete 24 hour fast, but no more than once a week. Typically I do a 16 hour fast almost daily, in which I eat dinner about 5 pm and don't have breakfast until at least 9 or 10 the next day, and sometimes not until around noon. I never want or eat more than 2 meals a day anyway. I've also consciously tried to put my eating window into a 5 or 6 hour window on most days.

I change the IF up quite a lot, but it has actually become an easy and "normal" way of eating for me now. AND....I believe this approach finally allowed me to drop weight more consistently than ever before so that I'm finally only 10 lbs from my goal. I keep my food choices pretty much to basic Atkins induction, and have done so the whole time. I'm terribly carb sensitive so I gave up on moving up the Atkins food ladder....doesn't work for me. But I'm OK with that.

In terms of exercise, I'm all over the map. I always have a gym membership, but during winter I ski a lot so I don't go to the gym much. I go more to do weight workouts but I also do cardio there as well, and I'm about to get back into spinning classes because I love that. But I do more gym workouts in spring-summer-fall, although I do mountain biking in summer as well as some hiking, and I'm now walking more on a regular basis (I got a Fitbit because I love data feedback, and it's great). I also have a mini trampoline that I hadn't used much for a few years, so I'm going back to that too.

You can drop weight at any age if you are consistent and patient enough and don't fall off the wagon with food. I've done my best ever with weight loss the last few months, and I'm 67.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-30-17, 09:33

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

seems like IF works really well for people! thanks for all the input about energy level, etc.

madeyna: i just have one flock of chickens to look after right now, but when we have more animals, there's more chores to do every day. it seems like we have lots of horse people on the boards right now!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-30-17, 11:13

BF:

Likewise, I love the 5-6 hour eating window, which has become my new normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
I also have a mini trampoline that I hadn't used much for a few years, so I'm going back to that too.

Gosh, I've been meaning to get one. Thanks for reminder!