Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 16:39

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

As for food combining that is not a good thing to do with PCOS because IR is such a factor, you can't do a carb alone period, it shoots up BS way to fast and effects insulin, avoid fruits if you can. BIG time problem for PCOS.
Tanya
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 08:01
Registered Member

Plan: sugar busters
Stats: 128/128/122 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Tigersue we share the same name Anyways this way of eating is so frustrating....im sure my insulin levels r so out of wack....i am trying to quit coffee (drink it plain w fake sugar) which i know is HORRIBLE FOR U! and cigs (smoke like 2 a day...used to be a pack...which is even worse for u...and trying to figure out the best plans for me...im just scared to up my meat intake too much bc on south beach diet i broke out ssssooooo BAD in SEVERE ACNE...im sure it was all the dairy and nuts..which i dont normally eat...but its made me so scared of meats..now i only eat fish and chicken...bc i have read...that red meat, pork, and eggs are bad for ur acne....i just wish i knew what exactly to eat that wont effect me bad and help me get better...
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 16:45

Plan: FOOD combining with LC
Stats: -/-/140 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress:

qwert123, has your metabolism always been fast? maybe get thyroid checked. which hormones are out of whack? from what i understand, progesterone is the youth hormone: supple soft skin, hair, keeps things lifted that need to be, hightened blood sugar stability/insulin sensitivity, etc. Estrogen: increases belly flab, boob size, increased sag, etc. So, if you are losing too much I'd check progesterone and thyroid levels. Maybe add some more whole grains to diet (gradually and not much) such as oats, brown rice, nut/grain breads. I say gradually, because once your metabolism is stoked in some people it just keeps running and running and it seems like you're losing too much and can't stop it. Then it stops bcse you eat some less good stuff and the weight stops moving down and moves up (eventually). Then it seems like you can't restart it (this has been my problem). So basically, be patient and make minor adjustments to avoid a backlash.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-05, 07:01
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Newdawnfad, Yes my metabolism has always been fast...I have no idea about my hormones...to give u an idea of my body type, im 5'7 and 127 lbs...and my boobs r 34 C (is this bc of estrogen??) When i gain weight its always to my tummy first...and face...I lose first on my legs..Im still not perfect on my diet..meaning maybe that is why im stilll having slight problem w other symptoms. Truthfully I wonder if this whole thing started bc of stress. I was PERFECTLY fine all the way untilage 18...in fact...my face was CLEAR!! Then i went through a time where i was eating so much junk and being stressed all the time and depressed (I dont know why) and then my acne started...every thing has slowly gone down hill from there until now where im 22....in fact im more thin now then at that age! I was 135 at that point! I wonder if for some people stress could triggor all these bad reactions? All I know is that it is so frustrating and i cant understand whats wrong w me and why it wont fix? I have no idea what I can eat bc im afraid about getting outbreak from it...its horrible. In fact I just got an outbreak of acne bc i accidently had flaxseeds (it was in this muslei i ate for three days straight!!) I didnt realize i until i read ingrediants bc i broke out...and its so frustrating bc every time my face starts to clear i break out again...its a horrible cycle...i am giving up my coffee and smoking today (I know HORRIBLE!!!) I used to smoke a pack a day for 2 years! Then cut down to 10...then for one month 5 and today NO MORE....that could have also made me worse...along w my bad coffee habbit (only one a day) starting a year ago...perhaps thats why my symptoms just keep getting worse???
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-05, 07:03
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

oh and by the way...once i got my thyroid checked and they said to come back in a year bc it is on the S L O W side!!! I could not believe it!!! Bc at that time i was eating way worse then now....like fast food, 3 chocolate bars a day, at least 5 meals a day (one which would be at 1am at night right before i went to bed) LIKE A TON.....so i didnt understand and i was not exercising...so weird but i went back this summer and they said everything is normal...so i dont knwo...
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 15:25

BF:
Progress:

Are you worried about the weight not stabilizing? Add some brown rice. I never heard of flax causing outbreak since it actually regulates hormones. I'd get my female hormones checked. Was there sugar in the muesli? If so that may be it.. or the flax was rancid. Rancid oils are toxins. What are your testosterone levels like? That may be off too.

Habitual caffeine can cause unnecessary stress on your body. I drink decaf cappuccino/latte. Can't taste a difference most of the time. I'd try a multi like biochem or country life's 'well-max'. It has some stuff in it like astragalus that 'll even the playing field. Vit C & Vit A & B vitamin(g)s are good for adrenal health too.

Oh, also do you do arobics? If you do a lot, maybe mix with some yoga or walking or kickboxing. Arobics can make you really slim.

Hope that helps
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 15:29

BF:
Progress:

Organic coffee & lose the cigarettes!!!!!!!
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 15:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 244/207/154 Female 163 cm
BF:43%/38%/27%
Progress: 41%

Yeah, i would agree with most, I would say its the diet....
I found when I stay on the diet for a considerable amount of time not only do my symptoms ge better, I also loose the cysts on my overies.
I came off the diet full force and it took 4 yrs for them to come back.

Im back on the low carb plan, only been 2 months, and waiting for my cysts to go again. My symptoms are only a little better at the moment.
I dont take any medication for my pocs except the pill.

All the best
Fiona
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 15:47

BF:
Progress:
Default Re Tiger Sue's msg: It's *what* you combine that can be bad not combining in general.

To say food combining is bad is rediculous. We all combine foods every day. I'm suggesting combine a different way.

You have to watch the ratios of carbs to non-carbs (obviously). In other words don't eat a plate full of brown rice and one brocolli spear. I never said that and that's obviously wrong.

Food combining is not bad for PCOS. Junk is Junk and if you combine junk it will still be junk. Everyone, including PCOS folks, need fruit and need grains. That's a fact. What you chose is what can be bad.

No one is saying eat white rice with green peas (2 major starchy foods). I am saying combine steamed brocolli, onions (which are good for insulin regulation), garlic, green peppers, bok choy cabbage, soy sauce and some brown rice. You still have to use your brain.

Fruits are not all equal on the glycemic index. A plum is very good for a PCOSer and low carb. Not as low carb as the synthetic food marketed as low carb but fruits have nutrients you simply can't replace. Blackberries are high in fiber and also very low glycemic. Most berries are safe for PCOSers to eat. Granny smith apples are okay for us too.

Learn about food and open your mind to understanding that PCOS is a modern illness brought about by FAKE FOOD, hurried, stressed lives and the pyramid scheme diet.

Also, many modern diets are defficient in Chromium. I take 1000mg/day of a good brand. Chromium can seriously help diabetics and PCOSers. Read up on it.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 20:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Newdawnfad....can u please give me an example of one day...what u eat? I just want to get an idea and what symptoms u had and how they improved
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 07:11

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I didn't read all the responses but wanted to tell my story. I have lost close to 60 pounds so far. I exercise strenously 4 - 5 days a week. I take 1500 mg. of Glucophage (metformin) daily. When I follow LC EXACTLY, my cycle is practically to the day! If I go off LC right before my period, it is about a week late.

How long have you been on Met? Maybe it's time to up the dosage?
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 07:15

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I belong to a wonderful forum - (maybe you do already!) I wanted to invite you over. It's Soulcysters

It's dedicated to PCOS and there are so many wonderful people there along with tons of information.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 08:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Everyone, including PCOS folks, need fruit and need grains. That's a fact.

I disagree with this. There is nothing in sweet fruit that you can't get from vegetables, including the fruit vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, squash and avocados. We do not "need" grains. We survived for millennia without them. They can be quite detrimental to health, between their phytate content and propensity for crossing the intestinal barrier and initiating an autoimmune response. I know I personally pay the gastro-intestinal price every time I eat them.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 17:46

BF:
Progress:

I think everyone's different, and everyone obviously has different insulin, progesterone and testosterone levels. Those variables can't be accounted for when talking about this and that diet.

When I exercised strenuously ie 260# squats, 100# back presses, 160# leg lifts, I became polycystic. Diet was same.

Was not classified PCOS until I was 30, prior to that I was a normal weight my whole life.

The major changes that negatively impacted me was: increased & constant stress (raises cortisol & impact testosterone due to some things i can explain if anyone wishes to know about), increased obsessive exercise (doctor says the delta force wasn't training as much as me), and inferior/less expensive eating plan which was all i could afford and which of course includED carbs.

Typical day of food combining would be approx 5 meals but really whenever hungry:

Breakfast: large apple for breakfast, alone, or whole oats w/ splenda & a little apple.

stir fry home baked turkey pieces (NOT LUNCHEON MEAT) sliced off and sauteed/stir fried with peas, onions, tons of broccoli, carrot, green pepper, mushrooms. Eat til you are full, refrig the rest.

snack:
small amount of whole brown rice + same veggies from above + tons of garlic. Should be more veggies than rice.

dinner:
same as lunch

desert:
low carb or sugar free ice cream *or* berries (no sweetner needed) + whipped cream

you'll notice it is almost entirely WHOLE foods....

----
If i were to eliminate fruit and grain, I'd surely never be able to use the toilet. Even metamucil is a grain. Whole milk organic yogurt w/ cream is good for you too. I'd eat that with fruit and splenda for a snack.

---
and i have to agree with the other poster, who said if you are eliminating entire food groups out of necessity, then something else is going on, because we should all be able to process these foods in the correct quantity and correct combination. i don't have celiac disease so i don't have a problem with grains, i'd get checked for food allergies & celiac disease. also if you don't use quality grains, they often have allergenic mold spores that you can't see but may be sensitive to. i just know that my whole body goes into relief mode when i combine according to what i cited above and i digest very quickly instead of it sitting in my stomach and never being hungry and putting on weight.

hope this helps someone like me.
as far as what symptoms it relieved.... my hair grew in thicker, shinier, skin was glowing, energy, good sleep, lost weight and was called a 'blonde goddess'. got poor, couldn't eat that way, and put on a ton of edema and weight. now am trying to get it all back.

Last edited by newdawnfad : Mon, Jul-25-05 at 17:52.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 16:51
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Newdawnfad...im GLAD to read ur diet...it is something i can LIVE WITH!!! I have a question though..a few...dont you have to balance your apple in the morning w a protein? I would rather not...but im just asking bc most lowcarb diet say to balance fruit w protein?? I know apple and berries r pretty low carb...so do you not have to balance these? Also you said something about raised cortisol? Does raised cortisol raise your testosterone levels???